Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | "Hi UFA, Will a 1 Year Minimum Deal and a Front Row View of McDavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Skating is not just something anyone can improve on.

Depends on your fast twitch muscles and such.
I don't fully buy that. I'm not suggesting anyone can all of a sudden become a Andrew Cogliano or Connor McDavid, but there are things guys can work on to get better.

Now finding that coach might be another issue as some guys are harder to work with, but there is just so many techniques and training exercises out there nowadays that if you have the high end skill/IQ you should be able to improve your skating to help at the next level.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Gretzky is gone. Not sure what he was doing for the OEG but we have Charles Barkley to thank for convincing him to leave us for television

Gretzky credits Barkley for decision to join Turner Sports NHL coverage

lokimeme.png

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
$2.5m x 2 for Ritchie is frightening. No way that guy should be getting term. Not sure why posters are upset about not going for him either, he’d be the 4th best LW and he would block Benson and Holloway who could end up being better this season anyhow

If they are considering tossing that at anyone left it should be for Murray. But any deals coming should be 1 year term with Nurse’s extension in mind anyhow

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Gretzky is gone. Not sure what he was doing for the OEG but we have Charles Barkley to thank for convincing him to leave us for television

Gretzky credits Barkley for decision to join Turner Sports NHL coverage
He left a long time ago. He essentially was just hanging out in Edmonton getting liquored up, so I don't know what he really did. Maybe showed the guys how to play with a hangover?

Don't get me wrong it was beyond awesome to see the Great One spending time in Edmonton during the winter, but from what I heard he was looking for something to do that would allow him to have fun without Janet.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I’m very nervous. Any more than a 2nd is a massive overpay.
If we can't actually upgrade on Koskinen, I don't want to see anything moved out. We should sign some random free agent instead that only costs money. Any lateral move for a goalie shouldn't have us moving any picks or prospects period.

Reactions: Samus44

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
If we can't actually upgrade on Koskinen, I don't want to see anything moved out. We should sign some random free agent instead that only costs money. Any lateral move for a goalie shouldn't have us moving any picks or prospects period.
The reality is the cost to move his deal at the deadline is going to be nearly nothing. Go with Stalock if your desperate for a change or just run with the same goaltending that got you to the playoffs the last 2 seasons till the deadline. Korpisalo is arguably worse and 2.5 million in savings isn't worth a Samorukov or a 2nd at this point IMO. One could look at it as Korpisalo+say Murray for Koskinen and a 2nd/3rd, and that has some more merit, but at that point I'd rather try to get rid of the whole deal and go after Tatar and Murray. I suspect we see Koskinen in camp.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
$2.5m x 2 for Ritchie is frightening. No way that guy should be getting term. Not sure why posters are upset about not going for him either, he’d be the 4th best LW and he would block Benson and Holloway who could end up being better this season anyhow

If they are considering tossing that at anyone left it should be for Murray. But any deals coming should be 1 year term with Nurse’s extension in mind anyhow
Gregor mentioned 5 teams in on Murray, so it will be interesting to see what happens. Sounds like he wants term though.

The problem I see is 1 year from us isn't like Barrie last year. Murray does have some capability to put up points, but he won't get that shot here. It's going to be hard to convince him to come here for one year to boost his stock just because of the role we have for him. The other issue is his injury history. He ends up getting hurt this year he's looking at 1 year deals next year, so I can see why he will want some stability.

Our only real hopes are;
1. He remembers what Edmonton did for him in his draft year and got him onto team canada. Holland, Lowe and Nicholson were apart of that team.
2. Other teams drop out as they sign someone else and maybe the remaining options are poorer teams.
3. McDavid

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Honestly there isn't even a lateral move as free agents at this point. They are all downgrades.

Unless there is a Euro goalie available. Haven't really heard jack shit about Euro signings so who knows.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Honestly there isn't even a lateral move as free agents at this point. They are all downgrades.

Unless there is a Euro goalie available. Haven't really heard jack shit about Euro signings so who knows.
That's what I mean. If the options are to trade Koskinen for someone who isn't an upgrade just to trade him then there's no point in trading him now. Don't throw away anymore assets no matter how small and let it ride into next season.

The only thing that would change my mind is confirmation that the entire room wants him gone.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The reality is the cost to move his deal at the deadline is going to be nearly nothing. Go with Stalock if your desperate for a change or just run with the same goaltending that got you to the playoffs the last 2 seasons till the deadline. Korpisalo is arguably worse and 2.5 million in savings isn't worth a Samorukov or a 2nd at this point IMO. One could look at it as Korpisalo+say Murray for Koskinen and a 2nd/3rd, and that has some more merit, but at that point I'd rather try to get rid of the whole deal and go after Tatar and Murray. I suspect we see Koskinen in camp.
Hard to disagree.

The tough one for me is what kind shape is Stalock actually in.

The reason I ask is because if we need cap space I'd damn near roll the dice and buyout Koskinen if a 2nd window opens up. Not with the plan to actually play Stalock, but to play the waiver wire.

The problem with this gamble is you need to know Stalock is actually fit, as we might get beat on the waiver wire.

Reactions: Samus44

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Food for thought, Holland dealt Mrazek to Philly in 2018 for two conditional 3rd rnd picks.

LA dealt Keumper to the Yotes for Rieder and Wedgewood.

I get that Koskinen is a bit of an anchor, but the prices to acquire a G are silly high right now. The Oilers don't need to be in desperation mode right now. Hold tight. A reasonable option will present itself.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
I know people hate Button, but f*** did he have me laughing. I'm pretty sure Struds was laughing too as I doubt gregor was.

So the question was poised to Button about Lavoie. Gregor said what he's hearing is the guy needs a good year of pro training. Button just lost it and asked what does that mean? He said of course he needs to get stronger, but as do all guys that are his age with little pro experience. He then went onto the whole thing about how he hates when draft analysts say the same thing about guys being drafted. Something about "of course they need it every prospect in the draft needs to get into the gym and get stronger, it's rare that any kid at 17/18 doesn't need to get stronger to take the next step".

Strength and skating have really been something I've been thinking about. Those are two things that anyone can improve on easily, if they put the time in. Get guys with high IQ and high skill levels, if they have a good work ethic they can improve on speed and strength.
It's not that simple, no amount of training will make a slow guy fast, there is only so much a certain persons limits are, milan lucic will always be slow no matter how hard ot works as an example. not amount of hard work will make someone as fast as mcdavid, speed cannot be taught.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Food for thought, Holland dealt Mrazek to Philly in 2018 for two conditional 3rd rnd picks.

LA dealt Keumper to the Yotes for Rieder and Wedgewood.

I get that Koskinen is a bit of an anchor, but the prices to acquire a G are silly high right now. The Oilers don't need to be in desperation mode right now. Hold tight. A reasonable option will present itself.
Those guys are actually decent starters though. Not hugely overpriced backups. But I agree, sit tight and have some faith that management wants to move him as much as this board does. All indications seem to be that they do.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's not that simple, no amount of training will make a slow guy fast, there is only so much a certain persons limits are, milan lucic will always be slow no matter how hard ot works as an example. not amount of hard work will make someone as fast as mcdavid, speed cannot be taught.
It's not about making them fast. It's about making them faster than they are so that they can make the next step.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Some players can if they work on it.

But genetics play a large part of it too.

For every Draisaitl, theres 10 players who work on their skating and only improve it marginally.
For every Draisaitl that went to someone else for help there are 10 players that stayed with Edmonton coaches for training :sarcasm:

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
But seriously though I don't know exactly what Pelletier, our skills coach or Schwartz really do, but I do know the 3 guys that have had the most impact from an off-season went on their own to work with someone else that isn't employed by us.

Draistil, Smith and Nurse

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
But seriously though I don't know exactly what Pelletier, our skills coach or Schwartz really do, but I do know the 3 guys that have had the most impact from an off-season went on their own to work with someone else that isn't employed by us.

Draistil, Smith and Nurse
Who did Draisaitl and Nurse go to?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Who did Draisaitl and Nurse go to?
Adam Oates for Nurse.

Marian Voda for Leon. Oddly enough if you read the article Leon didn't even really work on skating. It was training on his legs. I know some of you are lazy to click links, so here's part of it from the article lol

In order to improve your skating stride or gait you need to be on the ice, but Voda didn’t believe that was the issue, and instead focused on making Draisaitl stronger.
“We definitely focused on off ice training. I think he (Voda) just understood what I needed to do and what I have to
work on. As weird as it sounds, he was the best thing that could have happened
to me this summer. I worked on my legs every single day. Every day it was something
different. It was never the same, it never got boring, it was always different
drills, different everything, he was always being creative,” explained Draisaitl.
Let’s go into specifics, I asked. What did you work on specifically?
“Everything. I did one leg squat, heavy squat, lunges, step
up on boxes with weights, hill sprints, coordination stuff and quick feet
training with and without weights. My legs burned some days, but the next day he’d find a new way to challenge me. The one-legged squats really helped,” Draisaitl continued.

Draisaitl’s work in summer pays off in November and December

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Adam Oates for Nurse.

Marian Voda for Leon. Oddly enough if you read the article Leon didn't even really work on skating. It was training on his legs. I know some of you are lazy to click links, so here's part of it from the article lol

In order to improve your skating stride or gait you need to be on the ice, but Voda didn’t believe that was the issue, and instead focused on making Draisaitl stronger.
“We definitely focused on off ice training. I think he (Voda) just understood what I needed to do and what I have to
work on. As weird as it sounds, he was the best thing that could have happened
to me this summer. I worked on my legs every single day. Every day it was something
different. It was never the same, it never got boring, it was always different
drills, different everything, he was always being creative,” explained Draisaitl.
Let’s go into specifics, I asked. What did you work on specifically?
“Everything. I did one leg squat, heavy squat, lunges, step
up on boxes with weights, hill sprints, coordination stuff and quick feet
training with and without weights. My legs burned some days, but the next day he’d find a new way to challenge me. The one-legged squats really helped,” Draisaitl continued.

Draisaitl’s work in summer pays off in November and December
I remember reading about Draisaitl working mostly on his lower body strength to improve his skating. Hes got a powerful stride because of that.

Adam Oates is a skills coach, so I dont know how Pelletier has anything to do with Nurse going elsewhere.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
How’d Leon get faster though?

He didn't got really faster than he was, he basically just got that explosiveness to his skating, to his first few steps which was his problem, not speed overall. But everyone doesn't want to spend whole summer just training legs every day, Leon did only off-ice training first two months before hitting the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad