Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Hallsy Take 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The guy I really want the Oilers to go got, if they can, is Eric Staal. He's having tough start as are the Wild, it might be a chance to get a player who would compliment this group perfectly and really help drive offense in the bottom-6.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The guy I really want the Oilers to go got, if they can, is Eric Staal. He's having tough start as are the Wild, it might be a chance to get a player who would compliment this group perfectly and really help drive offense in the bottom-6.

Minnesota is easily a team to look at for trades. I'm surprised Dallas is doing this poorly too.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Minnesota is easily a team to look at for trades. I'm surprised Dallas is doing this poorly too.
I mean their depth isn't great and their blueline looks like it's finally buckling, which most of us had expected for a while. Their contract situation makes it almost impossible to rebuild.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Are we sure Nuge can?

He has 2 even strength points in 9 games this year.
RNH averages 32 EV points per season and Hall averages 37 EV points per season. I'm not a big fan of RNH. He's really vanilla but he does drive a line to some extent

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Looking at EV points alone during his time in Minnesota, Eric Staal averages 46 points per season. That's impressive for someone who was making 3.5M/yr

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Would be a bummer when he gets the season ending shoulder injury picking up the phone to find out he's been traded to us.
Haha, he'll get a text from his agent to avoid that, saying that, he did have a full season 2 years ago, so maybe lightning strikes twice?

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
RNH averages 32 EV points per season and Hall averages 37 EV points per season. I'm not a big fan of RNH. He's really vanilla but he does drive a line to some extent
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins NHL Advanced Statistics (Even Strength) | Hockey-Reference.com
Taylor Hall NHL Advanced Statistics (Even Strength) | Hockey-Reference.com

I'm seeing Nuge averages 37 even strength points per 82 game season and Hall averages 52 even strength points per 82 game season as their career averages.

Nuge's even strength points per game is 1.957 averaged over the past 3 seasons and Hall's is 2.393.
(Hall's even strength points per game his first year in Jersey was the lowest it's been since his rookie season, his 17/18 number was 2.6 Pts/60 and his 18/19 number was 2.9 Pts/60.)

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins NHL Advanced Statistics (Even Strength) | Hockey-Reference.com
Taylor Hall NHL Advanced Statistics (Even Strength) | Hockey-Reference.com

I'm seeing Nuge averages 37 even strength points per 82 game season and Hall averages 52 even strength points per 82 game season as their career averages.

Nuge's even strength points per game is 1.957 averaged over the past 3 seasons and Hall's is 2.393.
(Hall's even strength points per game his first year in Jersey was the lowest it's been since his rookie season, his 17/18 number was 2.6 Pts/60 and his 18/19 number was 2.9 Pts/60.)
Hall doesn't play 82 games per season tho. Which is why I decided to go with per season. I rather look what a player brings to the team per season. Not what could have been. His numbers in 35 games last year is really good. Might even be his best if he played 82 games but 35 games is 35 games. It doesn't get the Oilers anywhere.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Hall is a pipe dream, he’d be a depth killer and really limit our options.

this team needs a top end 3C and then they need to fill out the wings using drafting and solid pro scouting to find players that will be good fits for our roster and compliment the core players well.
What depth? lol

Reactions: KYams17 and frag2

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This team's bottom six philosophy has always annoyed me.

Your bottom six lines are only as good as your centers down there and they insist on just grabbing a replacement level winger or two and then absolute trash at center.

When was the last time they had an NHL calibre #3C? Old man Horcoff? Mike Peca?

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
say we are in the playoff race come TDL, what non-playoff teams would be looking to offload their expiring wingers that we can realistically afford in our cap? I can't think of many

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
This team's bottom six philosophy has always annoyed me.

Your bottom six lines are only as good as your centers down there and they insist on just grabbing a decent winger or two and then absolute trash at center.

When was the last time they had an NHL calibre #3C? Old man Horcoff? Mike Peca?
Derek Roy with Yaks

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Should we re-sign Gagner this off season? I wouldn't mind giving him 1 year at 1 M.

I would also re-sign Benning 1 year at 1.25 M since he is good for depth

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If we could somehow get hall and get rid of Nuge for a different C like Staal I would be all over that. HUGE net positiv.
Why not Staal to center RNH on the 2nd line and Pageau to center the 3rd line?
It's much cheaper to acquire Staal and Pageau than Hall.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Yeah honestly for cap management Hall v Nuge is interesting.

I wouldn't go higher than 9.5 for Taylor on an 8 year deal, and I wouldn't go higher than 7.5 for Nuge.

For 12m in cap, would you rather have Hall at 9.5 and 2.5 on a 3C? Or Nuge at 7.5 and 4.5 on 2nd line w?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Should we re-sign Gagner this off season? I wouldn't mind giving him 1 year at 1 M.

Gagner will be interesting, he might be more interested in trying to get a bigger role in Seattle. Also, I see Benning being moved this season if he keeps "showing" success.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Unless Gagner comes in this season and put up points, I'd say no.

Next year Benson, Marody and Yamamoto all deserve real looks up front. Pulju will hopefully be traded for someone who can plug themselves into the middle 6 somewhere and I feel like there are better options on 1 year prove it deals.

As for Benning, if he keeps up his good play I fee like he can get 2.5-3m elsewhere. Just the reality for the need of a right shot dman. We may have to let him go for internal depth.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Wonder if the Jets would do something around Ehlers/Larsson.
They're right side is junk and with Persson/Bear emerging we can afford to lose him

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

I wouldn't go higher than 9.5 for Taylor on an 8 year deal, and I wouldn't go higher than 7.5 for Nuge.

For 12m in cap, would you rather have Hall at 9.5 and 2.5 on a 3C? Or Nuge at 7.5 and 4.5 on 2nd line w?

Hall made Lander and Arcobello look like serviceable NHLrs; have yet to see Nuge do that for his wingers.
That being said, IMO, anything more than 9 for Hall is question marks for me, especially if long term.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If Oilers want a cheap fix, I think just calling up Benson would really change the dynamics of the team. He's ready.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012

Hall I get, but who would you replace RNH with if we let him walk at above 7.5?

Comparables are probably..
Couture, 29, C, UFA, 2018, career .77 ppg, $8m x 8
Duchene, 28, C, UFA, 2019, career .76 ppg, $8m x 7
Hayes, 27, C, UFA, 2019, career .59 ppg, $7.16 x 7 (an over pay, but nonetheless)

Nuge will be 28, UFA, 2021, career .71 ppg to-date. I can't imagine market value for him in 2021 is going to be </=7.5, but maybe he takes a discount.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
"1.There were 4 influential voices in the Edmonton Oilers decision to trade Taylor Hall. The obvious and most documented one was Peter Chiarelli. But Kelly Buchberger (in Player Personnel at the time) also advocated for it. So did former Head Coach Todd McLellan although Todd thought any return would be higher. Recently demoted G.M. Craig MacTavish was also still in the room. That MacT couldn’t make the playoffs with Hall likely stuck in his craw. Consider that Hall may have been a convenient outlet for MacTavish’s frustrations. None of the 4 men remain with the organization. In fact Oilers hockey ops have been pretty much wiped clean since then. If there were any hard feelings in the Hall Camp at the time (and there most definitely were) those who embodied those feelings are no long around. Remember, Keith Gretzky was hired almost 2 months after the Hall deal. His hands are clean."

This offers literally no insight on MacT or his impact on this trade.

This is just Leavins saying MacT might have been ******** over Hall with literally no evidence. Just lazy stupid writing from Leavins here, reminds me of all the people who say Hall is a "cancer" with no evidence other than they've heard it said and are repeating it so it must be true.

This doesn't even speculate that MacT advocated for the trade or claim that he did only randomly speculates that he may have been pissy based on Leavins own assumptions.

This kind of crap is far too typical with the Oilers media, Staples, Spector etc.
What we do know for a fact though is the week end before Craig Mactavish was stripped of power by Bob Nicholson, Mac T told the media that changes needed to be made and everyone was on the block. That Nicholson went on Primetime Sports two days later to announce he was now running hockey ops for the Edmonton Oilers and that none of the core players were going to be traded is a pretty big indication Mactavish was about to do something. That’s where Leavins is drawing his conclusions from. I don’t think it’s that unreasonable.

Reactions: guymez and Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad