Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Grosenick on His Way to EDM - Dell Claimed by Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Blessing in disguise. It forces the team to look at younger options instead of a retread. Sign or trade for a promising tender who is a #3 wherever they are and waive Chiasson/Neal so we can put them on the active roster. Problem solved and maybe we hit pay dirt.

The issue with that is they'll probably never play a game and there's barely any practices with the compressed schedule, so you're essentially forcing them to sit out a year of development.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Blessing in disguise. It forces the team to look at younger options instead of a retread. Sign or trade for a promising tender who is or has been a #3 and waive Chiasson/Neal so we can put them on the active roster. Problem solved and maybe we hit pay dirt.

No one's going to trade their number 4 goalie as they need someone to play in the minors. The Oilers are in a real pickle unless Skinner is some kind of revelation.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Jets would have to put him back on waivers to send him to the taxi squad. They're going to have to carry him on the main roster if they don't want to risk losing him to the Oilers.

Thanks for this then why pick him up? Oilers for sure will claim him. This is f***ed up! So they can have him on their active roster I think?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Pretty sure that's just a fantasy league thing.
Yeah, looking at the CBA, this may also be an often shared misunderstanding of something that doesn't actually exist.

upload_2021-1-15_11-43-42.png

Interesting thing as well for this year is that Edmonton had more points than Carolina last year, but Carolina had more points per game played. By the logic of how Dallas was 4th instead of Edmonton, Edmonton should get priority, but I guarantee the league views it differently.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
The issue with that is they'll probably never play a game and there's barely any practices with the compressed schedule, so you're essentially forcing them to sit out a year of development.

Practicing with the team isn’t ideal but still should give you a sense of what they are. Note that I’m not advocating for a teenager, but someone who has shown some things previously but is or has been blocked moving up the depth chart.

I also don’t buy them not being able to get in games, with the compressed schedule there’s plenty of opportunity. Hell, we are two games into the season and already had to use an emergency recall. Having that player around the team 24/7 is not only great insurance but lets the coaching staff evaluate and work with them in a way that isn’t usually possible.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Thanks for this then why pick him up? Oilers for sure will claim him. This is f***ed up! So they can have him on their active roster I think?

Jets may have more players on their roster that don’t require waivers, that can be sent up and down to/from the taxi squad, than the Oilers do. Haven’t looked at the rosters, but that would be my guess.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Jets only had 3 goalies under contract in NA after losing Comrie to the Devils, so they needed someone. Given that Forsberg was waived and still north of the border, he made a ton of sense. They have some flexibility with guys that are waiver exempt or already cleared on the roster that they can send down to make room for a 3rd goalie.

Putting him back on waivers would be a bad idea as the Oilers would most certainly put in a claim, and if they're the only team that does, he doesn't need waivers again and can immediately be put on the TS or sent down putting the Jets back to square one.

Reactions: bellagiobob

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Jets may have more players on their roster that don’t require waivers, that can be sent up and down to/from the taxi squad, than the Oilers do. Haven’t looked at the rosters, but that would be my guess.

Their entire taxi squad right now only has waiver exempt players, and they have two players on their active roster that are also exempt, so they are well positioned to hold 3 goalies on the active roster.

Reactions: bellagiobob

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Yeah, looking at the CBA, this may also be an often shared misunderstanding of something that doesn't actually exist.

View attachment 384576

Interesting thing as well for this year is that Edmonton had more points than Carolina last year, but Carolina had more points per game played. By the logic of how Dallas was 4th instead of Edmonton, Edmonton should get priority, but I guarantee the league views it differently.

upload_2021-1-15_11-50-29.gif

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Their entire taxi squad right now only has waiver exempt players, and they have two players on their active roster that are also exempt, so they are well positioned to hold 3 goalies on the active roster.

Wonder why they exposed Conrie then in the first place?

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
No one's going to trade their number 4 goalie as they need someone to play in the minors. The Oilers are in a real pickle unless Skinner is some kind of revelation.

The AHL doesn’t start for another three weeks and there’s still no set date for major junior to return. That’s a lot of goalies just sitting and doing nothing. Teams will want to get their promising young ones on at least the taxi squad right now to keep them warm, and if you’re a journeyman who is 25-28 years old on the last year of your contract, where does that leave you?

There will be a few names out there, Holland just has to make calls instead of trying to sneak guys by on waivers.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Holland f***ed up by waiving Forsberg instead Lagesson. That's the best way to summarize things. And there doesn't appear to be a clause indicating that a team that makes a claim drops on the lists for waiver priority.
With the way Jones has been playing, I'd prefer to keep Lagesson and rotate him between Russell and Jones

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The AHL doesn’t start for another three weeks and there’s still no set date for major junior to return. That’s a lot of goalies just sitting and doing nothing. Teams will want to get their promising young ones on at least the taxi squad right now to keep them warm, and if you’re a journeyman who is 25-28 years old on the last year of your contract, where does that leave you?

There will be a few names out there, Holland just has to make calls instead of trying to sneak guys by on waivers.

I think you're overestimating how much a team can get their taxi squad on the ice.

Like Tipp said, they pretty much don't even have practices this year with the schedule. You're not really going to keep anyone warm without getting them on the ice.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Holland f***ed up by waiving Forsberg instead Lagesson. That's the best way to summarize things. And there doesn't appear to be a clause indicating that a team that makes a claim drops on the lists for waiver priority.

Probably did their due diligence with various phone calls around the league, and got some bad intel.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I think you're overestimating how much a team can get their taxi squad on the ice.

Like Tipp said, they pretty much don't even have practices this year with the schedule. You're not really going to keep anyone warm without getting them on the ice.

That’s up to Tippett and his staff to figure out and adapt to. The bottom line is you have the players in your city, it’s the coach’s responsibility to get them on the ice. Every team is in the same boat, this isn’t a circumstance that’s unique to us.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Probably same reason we did. Didn't foresee that the market would do this.

Just thought if they had all these waiver exempt guys, that they could have kept Comrie on their 23 man roster. We didn’t have that choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad