Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Grosenick on His Way to EDM - Dell Claimed by Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Holland f***ed up by waiving Forsberg instead Lagesson. That's the best way to summarize things. And there doesn't appear to be a clause indicating that a team that makes a claim drops on the lists for waiver priority.
It would have been unusual to keep 3 goalies on active roster of 23.
GMs have now realized that these are unusual times. Jets will now be forced to keep 3 goalies

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Probably same reason we did. Didn't foresee that the market would do this.
I mean teams should've known about NJ and WSH was a wild card as we weren't really sure on Anderson.

I'd also add given CHI crap goaltending I'm surprised they didn't take a flyer on a guy either.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
When Neal's back I wouldn't mind a reunion of Neal/Khaira/Chiasson on the 4th line, otherwise that 4th line of ours needs serious tinkering.

Also, I'd like to see Nygard in place of Archibald on the 3rd line.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Wonder if Holland looks at trading Chiasson for an overpaid backup. Maybe have to throw a pick in there to sweeten it, don't know.

Bernier comes to mind, but DET would probably have to retain

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That’s up to Tippett and his staff to figure out and adapt to. The bottom line is you have the players in your city, it’s the coach’s responsibility to get them on the ice. Every team is in the same boat, this isn’t a circumstance that’s unique to us.

Practice days are mandated by the league. They can't just hop on the ice whenever.

Reactions: joestevens29

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Wonder why they exposed Conrie then in the first place?

They probably expected he would clear. Considering he had a shot with 2 other NHL clubs last year and didn't pan out. Then went through waivers a 2nd and 3rd time last season where every other team (other than Detroit) had 2 opportunities to grab him and passed.

EDIT: They also did it on a day where a whole bunch of goalies of Comrie's ilk were also available on waivers and likely to clear, and knowing that 24 other teams would have to wait 2 weeks for him to be available to them if they put in a claim.

Yet somehow the Devils valued him over other options. Almost makes me wonder if Fitzgerald did it knowing it would put the Jets in a potential jam since they only 4 goalies available to start with...

Last edited:

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It’s weird then how every club seems to have grasped that having all three goalies on the ice for practice throughout the season is not just a possibility but a benefit... including Tippett:

Taxi squad goalies can help NHL regulars stay fresh with compact schedule

But maybe someone should tell him he’s wrong.

Sure, it's a benefit for the starters.

The whole point of that article was that starters can avoid drills that don't help them. I'm not really sure how that supports developing a young #3G haha.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The Oilers have to do something. They're going to burn out Koskinen pretty quickly if Smith is out a while and with this defense struggling big time, they need Koskinen on top of his game.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
People acting like we just waived Samsonov. Goalies like Forsberg are a dime a dozen.

I say it's with good reason based upon these circumstances:

1) Smith hasn't played a game and he's already hurt or maybe he's sick, I don't think it's been mentioned. Who knows how long he's out for as well.

2) This is a compressed schedule with a lot of games and not much time off.

3) All games are against division rivals. One three or four game slide can cause a team to lose a lot of ground which may not be able to be made up due to the short season. Goaltending is more important than it's ever been.

4) Any goalie acquired from outside Canada has to quarantine for two weeks. That's going to be roughly seven games, or 1/8th of the season.

The league really dropped the ball with this rule. Goalies should have been exempt from the regular waiver rules and teams able to protect one with "protected waivers". Any others not requiring waivers or ones who do, could be waived on "unprotected waivers". Another suggestion is teams should have been allowed to carry three on the roster by bumping up to a 24 man roster.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
We may want to get this confirmed by @mouser but at least in the previous CBA the only advantage that the original team had in this situation was that if they were the only team making a waiver claim on their former player they could send the player to the minors without having to waive him again.

That is correct. The myth that a team which previously lost on a player on waivers has priority to reclaim the player is one of the most long lasting and probably most repeated misunderstandings I've seen in all my years on HFBoards.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Has to be a goalie in our division otherwise they have to quarantine for 14 days don't they?

In 14 days we could have had 5 games.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I say it's with good reason based upon these circumstances:

1) Smith hasn't played a game and he's already hurt or maybe he's sick, I don't think it's been mentioned. Who knows how long he's out for as well.

2) This is a compressed schedule with a lot of games and not much time off.

3) All games are against division rivals. One three or four game slide can cause a team to lose a lot of ground which may not be able to be made up due to the short season. Goaltending is more important than it's ever been.

4) Any goalie acquired from outside Canada has to quarantine for two weeks. That's going to be roughly seven games, or 1/8th of the season.

The league really dropped the ball with this rule. Goalies should have been exempt from the regular waiver rules and teams able to protect one with "protected waivers" and any others not requiring waivers or ones who do could be waived on "unprotected waivers". Another suggestion is teams should have been allowed to carry three on the roster by bumping up to a 24 man roster.
Teams could've ran with three goalies as WPG, Tor, ARI are now doing. You just had to not run with 8 d-men and 13 forwards. Some teams are running 14 f, some are running 7 d, some 6 d-men.

Tampa, and Chicago are only running 20 total players.

With the taxi squad teams have a chance to play around quite a bit. Unfortunately for us we didn't play around correctly and now need a 3rd goalie.

There really is no one to blame other than Holland.

Edit: At the end of the day they waived Khaira and decided to keep him on the main roster. Should've had him go to the taxi squad and this wouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: DropTheGloves

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
The whole goalie having to pass through waivers to be on the taxi squad is BS. Every team needs an extra backup for emergencies.

f*** you Carolina and New Jersey.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Teams could've ran with three goalies as WPG, Tor, ARI are now doing. You just had to not run with 8 d-men and 13 forwards. Some teams are running 14 f, some are running 7 d, some 6 d-men.

Tampa, and Chicago are only running 20 total players.

With the taxi squad teams have a chance to play around quite a bit. Unfortunately for us we didn't play around correctly and now need a 3rd goalie.

There really is no one to blame other than Holland.

I do wonder how much that had to do with cap space and waiting for day 1 of the season to LTIR Klefbom. Wasn't that part of the reason for waiving Forsberg in the first place was to be cap compliant? I honestly didn't pay much attention to the specifics of just how close to or over the cap Holland was. I thought I read some posters saying they would have been over and had to waive someone, but maybe I'm wrong.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
old man Smith not practicing today
Kenny may have to do something here...
I normally would think no, Holland is patient, but I don’t see him going to Skinner for a test run. If Smith isn’t even practicing that’s an issue. 4 games over the next 8 days and I doubt Koskinen starts everyone of them.

There just isn’t depth goaltending available though. Every team is using their number 3 as insurance. For what would be available for cheap you might as well try Skinner...

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I do wonder how much that had to do with cap space and waiting for day 1 of the season to LTIR Klefbom. Wasn't that part of the reason for waiving Forsberg in the first place was to be cap compliant? I honestly didn't pay much attention to the specifics of just how much close to or over the cap Holland was.
Could be to, but that isn't exactly the league's fault that the Oilers are in this situation.

Couldn't they have just sent KY to the practice squad as well on paper?

Reactions: McFuhryous
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad