Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Goodbye Brassard, Hello _______?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Holy, Gardiner for 4.05 mil- talk about an absolute steal. I was ok with him in between 5-5.5mil. 4 is almost embarrassing.

Oilers once again are allegeric to bringing in a legit top 4 D

How could the Oilers afford that? Please try to use some common sense.

In any event, that's quite a deal for Carolina. I thought he would get in the 6×6 neighborhood. This might bode well for Nurse negotiations.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
What's funny is he is making the same amount in CAR as TOR. You think he's going to be dragged through the mud if he struggles from time to time?

By who? Their fans seem to just be the have a good time win or lose types, and he will probably rarely run into any of them in his daily life. Their media is pretty calm and tepid and just hope for the best. He's out of the fish bowl and still making millions. Probably a dream come true. Carolina actually won a series as well :)

For his salary, his taxes are down 10% for at least half his games now. Overall, probably something like a 7-8% reduction in taxes, so he technically got a raise too.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Holy, Gardiner for 4.05 mil- talk about an absolute steal. I was ok with him in between 5-5.5mil. 4 is almost embarrassing.

I find this reasoning flawed.

A team signs a player to a sweet deal that 30 other teams didn't, and that means Oilers can't find top 4 d.

Next team that signs a top 6 winger is going to make Oiler brass look stupid, amiright?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
By who? Their fans seem to just be the have a good time win or lose types, and he will probably rarely run into any of them in his daily life. Their media is pretty calm and tepid and just hope for the best. He's out of the fish bowl and still making millions. Probably a dream come true. Carolina actually won a series as well :)

For his salary, his taxes are down 10% for at least half his games now. Overall, probably something like a 7-8% reduction in taxes, so he technically got a raise too.
It was more that CAR won't rag on him the way TOR did.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I find this reasoning flawed.

A team signs a player to a sweet deal that 30 other teams didn't, and that means Oilers can't find top 4 d.

Next team that signs a top 6 winger is going to make Oiler brass look stupid, amiright?
Pretty much.

Gardiner had talked about the BS he went through in TOR. Coming to Edmonton wasn't going to be exactly that much better.

Don't think Canada was much an option for him at this point. Seems content going to a market with less stress.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It was more that CAR won't rag on him the way TOR did.

Oh yeah, think I misread your post then. For sure, he's not gonna have to hear about any little mistake he makes 50 times in Carolina now. Maybe not even once outside of from his coaches. Who knows if he ends up playing way better not having to be scared of fans/media turning on him any time he's out there for a GA.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It's too bad about Brodziak... was hoping he could come back and have a decent bounce-back season... a healthy Brodziak would be an asset in the bottom 6... but that also helps to explain why he was so underwhelming last season. Bodies at 35+ can and do fall apart and it appears that's what happened.

Reactions: joestevens29

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
His LTIR covers Sheahan and a bit more basically. Now it makes sense why he got a deal and not a PTO
Yeah that's been my thought, the original plan might have been a PTO, but Brodziak's physical breakdown probably pushed them to make sure he signed, also I'm impressed in light of the Brodziak news, they signed him for less then $1M

Reactions: guymez

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Not sure if anyone brought this up here, but noticed Smith's bonus details are on capfriendly:

P. BONUS DETAILS: Games Played Bonus: $125,000 at each of the following levels (20, 25, 30, 35 gms) & $250,000 at each of the following levels (40, 45 gms) + Playoff Qualification & Rounds Won Bonus: $750,000 max earnable (broken down by qualifiaction, first 3 rounds won and gms won in those rounds)

That's not nearly as bad as I expected. If, by some miracle Koskinen can be a starter, and Smith ends up playing a solid 30 games for us. Even if we make the playoffs, his bonus would only be ~375k, plus whatever the bonus is just for playoff qualification out of the 750k max amount for playoff clauses. Might only be ~500k total if Koskinen ends up the playoff starter.

yes yes, I realize I said "playoffs" :) Please have mercy.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

Super shocked this post exists.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Super shocked this post exists.

At some point Oiler fans have to get a pulse and actually start demanding the front office put together a respectable team. Currently they are content with unrolling the usual list of excuses "How will we ever find a whole $ 4 million in cap space.". But eventually, after enough good players get moved around the league with the Oilers failing to get any of them, I have confidence the attitudes will change. There are only so many excuses

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
LTIR only comes into play if the team would be over the cap by replacing the player. As it is right now that is not the case with the Oilers. Cap wise being able to bury Brodziak's salary is much better than having him on the injury reserve list. The latter limits cap space at the deadline and also means the likelihood of a carry over goes up. Though the latter issue is not a huge concern right now.

Yeah the way I look at it it probably would have been better if we could have just sent Brodziak to the minors. Would have carried a 75K cap penalty but we would have actually freed up the space instead of needing to try and juggle LTIR throughout the season.

Sucks for Brodziak either way though.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Time to trade for Faulk on the cheap.
Would be great....

But man when was the last time the Oilers pulled off a deal like that?

I guess Maroon for a 4th?

Would be nice if we could take advantage of a team for once in the last oh I donno... 15 years.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
At some point Oiler fans have to get a pulse and actually start demanding the front office put together a respectable team. Currently they are content with unrolling the usual list of excuses "How will we ever find a whole $ 4 million in cap space.". But eventually, after enough good players get moved around the league with the Oilers failing to get any of them, I have confidence the attitudes will change. There are only so many excuses

It always seems so much easier to bring up "excuses" instead of thinking things through.

Gardiner super willing to come to Edmonton for $4 million? Yep, but "excuses".

Holland saw Gardiner cost his team one time too many in the playoffs? Nah, just "excuses".

The Oilers have no cap space? Uh uh, only "excuses".

Why is there only ever one possibility?

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

:laugh:

Typical, are you aware of this thing called the "salary cap"?

Also, you like many do, assume Gardiner would have signed here for the exact same contract salary cap aside.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
How could the Oilers afford that? Please try to use some common sense.

In any event, that's quite a deal for Carolina. I thought he would get in the 6×6 neighborhood. This might bode well for Nurse negotiations.
The Oilers could have signed Gardiner to the contract he just signed today and still be cap compliant with Brodziak on LTIR and have a full roster of 14F 7D and 2G.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
The Oilers could have signed Gardiner to the contract he just signed today and still be cap compliant with Brodziak on LTIR and have a full roster of 14F 7D and 2G.

Right, but he isn't signing that contract here.

North

Jun 25, 2009

How close to the limit would they be keeping in mind that Holland likes to have a 1.5 mill cushion for possible roster movement during the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad