Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Goaltending Upgrade(s) In Season or Off Season?

Will Holland Add a #1 Goalie...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I'm going to go with a hardy no, but I do like him enough that I'd be looking to give him a PTO in the offseason.
He’s from Spokane and his wife’s American. I could see him looking at Seattle as a good landing spot.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Yea that's kind of where I got the idea from. I wonder if we'd be able to pry out Staal from Buffalo instead though. Too bad he has an M-NTC.

I wonder if Staal would waive his NMC to come to Edmonton at this point, or anywhere for that matter.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I wonder if Staal would waive his NMC to come to Edmonton at this point, or anywhere for that matter.
At this point I'd be happy with Koskinen for Staal, if Buffalo is good with it. They need a goalie and I doubt they get another starter-lite for cheaper.

Flip our first (+) for an actual number 1.

Reactions: Billy8484

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
In The Athletic's Trade deadline column Chris Driedger's name is mentioned. Last year he played 12 games and posted GAA 2.05 & SV% 93.8. In "save percentage above average" category he topped the whole league (yea it is a small sample size). This year he has played 11 games GAA 2.25 and SV% 92.6. With respectable fancy stats too. He is easily out-playing struggling Bobrovsky, but could be moved because Florida really likes Spencer Knight(and no one would take Bobrovsky's horrendous contract).

He shouldn't cost a lot and re-sign number should be fairly low because he has short track record. Would leave a lot of money to spend elsewhere...

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Have you seen his salary compared to his ability?
He's not bad. Better and more likely production than Haas. The big concern is the money factor. You'd have to send them Chiasson once Ryan clears.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
In The Athletic's Trade deadline column Chris Driedger's name is mentioned. Last year he played 12 games and posted GAA 2.05 & SV% 93.8. In "save percentage above average" category he topped the whole league (yea it is a small sample size). This year he has played 11 games GAA 2.25 and SV% 92.6. With respectable fancy stats too. He is easily out-playing struggling Bobrovsky, but could be moved because Florida really likes Spencer Knight(and no one would take Bobrovsky's horrendous contract).

He shouldn't cost a lot and re-sign number should be fairly low because he has short track record. Would leave a lot of money to spend elsewhere...

I like it, but it seems like an off-season move. Florida is potentially a cup contender and I don't know if they'll want to move him before the playoffs.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I'm hoping Dreiger gets around 20+ starts so we can see more of what he is capable of. He is one of the youngest UFA goalies this year and had great numbers on a relatively poor team.

I don't think trading a first for a starting goalie is a good idea. Too many decent UFA options this summer. The only goalies I would pay for would cost a lot more than a first rounder if they would even be available.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Bob was saying that the Oilers need a 3C, right-shot faceoff guy during his TV spot last night . . .

He specifically said a right-shot C with a face-off percentage at 52 or 53%

Brandon Sutter is 53%. Three Oilers media members have now seemed to hint at the same target.

Reactions: soothsayer

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
I like it, but it seems like an off-season move. Florida is potentially a cup contender and I don't know if they'll want to move him before the playoffs.
I don't see Florida being a contender. They have had a soft schedule. 21 games and 6 of those are against good teams (Carolina and Tampa) and they would probably have to win both of those teams to be make it to top4

Nashville is a mess, Dallas is hampered by injuries and the rest of the teams are even worse.

But could be off-season move too.

Reactions: soothsayer

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
I'm hoping Dreiger gets around 20+ starts so we can see more of what he is capable of. He is one of the youngest UFA goalies this year and had great numbers on a relatively poor team.

I don't think trading a first for a starting goalie is a good idea. Too many decent UFA options this summer. The only goalies I would pay for would cost a lot more than a first rounder if they would even be available.
He will most likely get those 20+. I think they have gone with him more lately because he is giving them a better chance to win than Bobrovsky.

Edit. Neither would I pay a first rounder for him. I think 2nd rounder has been the price for good back-ups with no track record quite often...

Reactions: belair

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
He specifically said a right-shot C with a face-off percentage at 52 or 53%

Brandon Sutter is 53%. Three Oilers media members have now seemed to hint at the same target.

Someone mentioned the Oilers' interest in him the other day. I can't imagine who would be going back the other way.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

I remember seeing Driedger play for the Hitmen back in like 2013 when I went to some Oil Kings v Hitmen playoff games.

He's having an amazing season and if Florida is really willing to part with him (though I guess they might HAVE to lose him, due to his impending UFA status and already paying Bobrovsky so much $$), then he's definitely someone to consider.

Reactions: McCombo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad