Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Get Connor, Leon and Nuge Some Help Damn it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I think Myers is definitely above Russell but he's pretty inconsistent throughout his career.

I would call him a #4 who sometimes plays above that and sometimes below that whereas Russell is a consistent #5 even when he's being played above that in the lineup.

I don't think I'd touch him on a 5 year deal let alone a 7 year deal they suggested but if you could get him at 5 or his current 5.5 x 3 and send Russell out I'd do that. I think he'd give the team a nice stop gap and provide much needed offense from the right side.

I don't know how you'd do the pairings because I assume Nurse and Myers as a pairing would be a train wreck in their own zone.

I like it.

Larsson Nurse
Myers Klef
Sekera Jones

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Really? Did he say anything juicy?

They were private calls. The first one was when Spector was sinking his teeth into the org/management on Oilers Now and Stauffer's phone rang. He said something like "Excuse me, I have to take this call" and before he left the booth, you can clearly hear him say "Hey Daryl". The he said something like "You wish that guy called your cell" or something similar to Spector when he returned.

The second time was after Reider-gate and Nicholson was doing an interview on Gregory's show...I didn't hear it but lots of posters did and I believe the "Siri" or "Alexa" voice can be clearly heard saying "Daryl Cats" from Nicholson's phone after it rang on air.

Which is why some posters refer to Katz as "Cats" now lol.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
If you're trading Nuge, chances are it's picks and prospects coming back and maybe a low end winger or D, definitely not both. That or a one for one deal for Hamilton or Faulk.

Why would you assume the bar is so low? A 1B/2A C is worth a lot more than that. They are in short supply and Nuge is about 30th in scoring among C with crap-tastic wingers. He's definitely carried water and chopped wood on that line ;)

There are ~10 teams in the league where he'd be the #1C and ~15 others where he'd be the #2C.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Why would you assume the bar is so low? A 1B/2A C is worth a lot more than that. They are in short supply and Nuge is about 30th in scoring among C with crap-tastic wingers. He's definitely carried water and chopped wood on that line ;)

There are ~10 teams in the league where he'd be the #1C and ~15 others where he'd be the #2C.

This is some severe overrating of Nuge.
There are not 10 teams in the league where he'd be a #1C. I can think of two teams off the top of my head, Arizona and Montreal. That's it.

I just can't see teams giving up a legit 2nd line winger plus 3rd line center because of one really good season that he had 8 seasons into his career.
I don't think they should trade Nuge but lets not make him into more than what he is which is a solid #2C. I can't see a team offering up enough to entice the Oilers to trade him.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If you trade RNH, you pretty much have to commit to playing Drai as 2C IMO.

100% and that cant happen unless they solve the talent issue on the wing.
I am not a fan of trading RNH unless the return is something you simply cant pass up.
IMO this off season is the best window of possibility to make that happen.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
This is some severe overrating of Nuge.
There are not 10 teams in the league where he'd be a #1C. I can think of two teams off the top of my head, Arizona and Montreal. That's it.

Personally, I would put him at #1 in New Jersey, Long Island, Ottawa, Nashville and Vegas. You could make a real good case for him on Minny, Detroit and NYR as well.

I just can't see teams giving up a legit 2nd line winger plus 3rd line center because of one really good season that he had 8 seasons into his career.
I don't think they should trade Nuge but lets not make him into more than what he is which is a solid #2C. I can't see a team offering up enough to entice the Oilers to trade him.

He was on a similar pace last year as well. I'd call him a great #2 or a below average #1, and I think he's got a lot more respect around the league than we as fans tend to give him.

Reactions: bucks_oil

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

I don't think you'd get anything more for RNH than what the Sabres got from the Blues for ROR and all they got were two middle six roster players, a prospect and picks. ROR is a much better player than Nuge and had term on his deal (albeit a higher sticker price). I don't see anyone offering us more than a decent enough roster player (second pairing D or middle 6 F) and futures. And I don't see how that kind of return helps us at all in the short term.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Personally, I would put him at #1 in New Jersey, Long Island, Ottawa, Nashville and Vegas. You could make a real good case for him on Minny, Detroit and NYR as well.

He was on a similar pace last year as well. I'd call him a great #2 or a below average #1, and I think he's got a lot more respect around the league than we as fans tend to give him.

Nuge is not playing ahead of Barzal, Johansen, Karlsson, Larkin, Zibanejad or E. Staal. Hischier probably plays ahead of him too. Ottawa for sure, I forgot about them.
Nuge is not a #1 center in this league, he's a complimentary player. He has value after the season he just had but not enough value to warrant trading him IMO.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
It really depresses me that our first overall picks came during a large drop in quality of first overalls.

Imagine after the bottom falls out in 06-07, they decide to tear it down and finish last in 07-08. Go into the 08 draft and pick one of Stamkos or Doughty. Then in 09 grab a Tavares or Hedman. We'd be infinitely better off.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It really depresses me that our first overall picks came during a large drop in quality of first overalls.

Imagine after the bottom falls out in 06-07, they decide to tear it down and finish last in 07-08. Go into the 08 draft and pick one of Stamkos or Doughty. Then in 09 grab a Tavares or Hedman. We'd be infinitely better off.
We literally picked the worst 3 year stretch to draft #1 in ages.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If RNH is your 1C then you’re not making the playoffs. He’s a great 2C and that’s all he needs to be for us. Nearly 30 goals and 70 points while having to carry whatever crap they put on his line is quite amazing. I know most of his points came on the PP or playing with Mcdavid but he was still producing while playing with other players as well.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If RNH is your 1C then you’re not making the playoffs. He’s a great 2C and that’s all he needs to be for us. Nearly 30 goals and 70 points while having to carry whatever crap they put on his line is quite amazing. I know most of his points came on the PP or playing with Mcdavid but he was still producing while playing with other players as well.
Montreal has one of Danault or a winger as Domi as their 1C and they could easily make the playoffs still.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I am not a fan of trading RNH unless the return is something you simply cant pass up.

If the lottery balls lands us outside the top 5, does RNH and the 1st rounder make for a more attractive package than either piece alone? I'm not sure.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Probably wouldn't have McDavid and Drai, though.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Lol no we wouldnt. Hall is on a level, or even better than Tavares. Tavares has a slightly higher career PPG than Hall at 0.03, but that equals 3 more points a season. Thats after Hall played his career on legitimately the worst run sports franchise of all time, then 3 years of the Devils

Oilers would have turned Hedman into an Adam Larsson type D. Stamkos would have been an ok 1st line center.

And on the flip side, if they were drafted by other teams, Hall would have been a multiple season PPG, top 5 forward in the league (see Pat Kane), RNH would have been a premier top line center, and hell Yakupov likely survives in the NHL

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

To me it’s like this, you keep Drai on the wing you need 1 add instead of 2. As Mcdavid and Drai can have literally anyone ride shotgun with them and still dominate. So all you have to do is find a solid winger to ride shotgun with Hopkins, then you can have a lesser player sub in too. If you trade Hopkins, you have holes now in all your winger spots. And you’d need at minimum 1 solid add per line

Reactions: McLarsonator

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
To me it’s like this, you keep Drai on the wing you need 1 add instead of 2. As Mcdavid and Drai can have literally anyone ride shotgun with them and still dominate. So all you have to do is find a solid winger to ride shotgun with Hopkins, then you can have a lesser player sub in too. If you trade Hopkins, you have holes now in all your winger spots. And you’d need at minimum 1 solid add per line

That 'solid winger' would have to be someone like Hall, a player that can drive the line himself. If Nuge is your best player on that line, not gonna accomplish much

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
That 'solid winger' would have to be someone like Hall, a player that can drive the line himself. If Nuge is your best player on that line, not gonna accomplish much

For this team to make the playoffs, all you need that line to do is break even. You don't need a Hall-type for that.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Lol no we wouldnt. Hall is on a level, or even better than Tavares. Tavares has a slightly higher career PPG than Hall at 0.03, but that equals 3 more points a season. Thats after Hall played his career on legitimately the worst run sports franchise of all time, then 3 years of the Devils
Cmon your stats guy. Halls PPG is inflated by small sample sizes from his injury proneness. Tavares is the better player. Islanders were a comparably bad franchise Tavares entire tenure.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Cmon your stats guy. Halls PPG is inflated by small sample sizes from his injury proneness. Tavares is the better player. Islanders were a comparably bad franchise Tavares entire tenure.

Do you get double points if you're injured a lot or something?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If the lottery balls lands us outside the top 5, does RNH and the 1st rounder make for a more attractive package than either piece alone? I'm not sure.

Man...a first and RNH would have to be considered a very attractive package.
The return would have to be pretty spectacular IMO.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I hear you...my preference would be to keep RNH and do what your suggesting.
Having said that I also agree with those posters who are suggesting that if you do trade RNH then this is the year to do it.
I am just glad it wont be Chiarelli that is making these decisions because this team desperately needs to win some deals and upgrade the talent for a change.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Oilers would have turned Hedman into an Adam Larsson type D. Stamkos would have been an ok 1st line center.

And on the flip side, if they were drafted by other teams, Hall would have been a multiple season PPG, top 5 forward in the league (see Pat Kane), RNH would have been a premier top line center, and hell Yakupov likely survives in the NHL

I doubt that very much.

His game is way too passive, and he doesn’t actually have top end anything. He’s an above average skater, above average passer, inconsistent shooter, with wandering defensive play and terrible faceoff ability.

Reactions: frag2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad