Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Get Connor, Leon and Nuge Some Help Damn it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
As Connor, Leon and Nuge are crushing their previous career highs trying to defy all odds and squeak into the playoffs, one has to ask just how much help they'd need to get there if they can duplicate their seasons next season? The addition of Sekera has been huge, would a similar add up front alone be enough? If we had a couple of guys that are legit 50 point players added would that be enough?

Reactions: ujju2

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
As Connor, Leon and Nuge are crushing their previous career highs trying to defy all odds and squeak into the playoffs, one has to ask just how much help they'd need to get there if they can duplicate their seasons next season? The addition of Sekera has been huge, would a similar add up front alone be enough? If we had a couple of guys that are legit 50 point players added would that be enough?

Honestly, if Sekera would have been healthy this year, I think we make the playoffs - potentially fairly easy as well. We'd likely still have Caggiula as well, as dumbass-Chia wouldn't have done a panic-trade for a dman, so our forwards would also have been better for the last half of the season. Losing Sekera for 75% of the season was a rather big blow, to say something overtly obvious.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Honestly, if Sekera would have been healthy this year, I think we make the playoffs - potentially fairly easy as well. We'd likely still have Caggiula as well, as dumbass-Chia wouldn't have done a panic-trade for a dman, so our forwards would also have been better for the last half of the season. Losing Sekera for 75% of the season was a rather big blow, to say something overtly obvious.

If the coaches didn't have to be stupid and constantly play Talbot to 'get his game going' when everyone saw him falter nonstop, we'd probably be closer to the WC even with Sekera injured.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Yes. Adding two wingers at 20G and 50 Point+ is all we really need to make playoffs IMO. We have huge holes on the wings in the top 6.

The question is what are willing to pay to make it happen for next year.. or are we better off waiting until the year after if we don't want to pay the price? As it would be cheaper the year after with more flexibility... seems to get anything done right now we have to overpay to make things work.

My vote would be to overpay now for young talent that would be part of the core moving forward but I think I'm part of the minority.

Like I'd rather trade that 1st for a player who can play NOW + be part of the core (20G and 50 points+) then draft one who may be a little better but have to wait for him to develop.

Between our assets we could trade:

1st, Pulj, Bear, whatever defenseman bouchard will make expendable etc.,

If we could trade them all and end up with two young 50 point wingers who can slot into the top 6 for now and the future (core type players) then I would be 100% down for that situation.

And like Chiasson.. fine if you want to re-sign him.. then go ahead but hes bottom 6 depth player that can slot into the top 6 when injuries occur. He's depth.

But with 2 more wingers we would have a ton more options:

Draisaitl - Mcdavid - ???
(new winger) - RNH - (New winger)

or

(New winger) - Mcdavid - (New Winger)
RNH - Draisaitl - ???

or

(New winger) - Mcdavid - ???
RNH - Draisaitl - (New Winger)

I mean.. I'm just in the boat we should pay the price to make this happen.

ETC.,

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think if we keep Strome, Caggiula and had a healthy Sekera things look a lot different.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If the coaches didn't have to be stupid and constantly play Talbot to 'get his game going' when everyone saw him falter nonstop, we'd probably be closer to the WC even with Sekera injured.
Tough to say with Koskinen as the guy that would've been playing more.

Reactions: Little Fury

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Would still be a few more wins IMO.

True, but the team has needed 2 Top Six wingers for the past few seasons. The morale of this team would be much higher if it weren't solely dependant on three forwards and a goalie for every win

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Give Ottawa a trade that they can't refuse:

Lucic + RNH + 1st

for

Colin White + Batherson + Bobby Ryan

This gives us a younger RNH that just paced for 50 points in his rookie year (White is great) and two wingers who can slot into our top 6.

Bobby Ryan gets a bad rep but hes a 50 point winger on this team who has the IQ and trigger / playmaking abilities to really excel playing with Mcdavid IMO. It moves the LUCIC money into the top 6 w/ comparable term.

Batherson makes Ottawa nix this deal most likely. Might have to look at their roster and pick another player but I'd start with Batherson.

I'm not sure Ottawa even makes this trade.. but RNH could slot in as their #1C right now and they have Brown coming up next year to slot into the #2 or #3C spot. RNH is marketable and would help them sell tickets to the games. That 1st this year in the top 10 really gives them a nice asset for the rebuild. Its a good deal for Ottawa imo.. but their fans may not agree and I can see Edmonton fans not liking this deal either... shes close I think.

Batherson - White - Ryan

or

White - Mcdavid - ???
Batherson - Draisaitl - Ryan

Whatever works best.. can move these pieces around as white is a C

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Give Ottawa a trade that they can't refuse:

Lucic + RNH + 1st

for

Colin White + Batherson + Bobby Ryan

This gives us a younger RNH that just paced for 50 points in his rookie year (White is great) and two wingers who can slot into our top 6.

Bobby Ryan gets a bad rep but hes a 50 point winger on this team who has the IQ and trigger / playmaking abilities to really excel playing with Mcdavid IMO. It moves the LUCIC money into the top 6 w/ comparable term.

Batherson makes Ottawa nix this deal most likely. Might have to look at their roster and pick another player but I'd start with Batherson.

I'm not sure Ottawa even makes this trade.. but RNH could slot in as their #1C right now and they have Brown coming up next year to slot into the #2 or #3C spot. RNH is marketable and would help them sell tickets to the games. That 1st this year in the top 10 really gives them a nice asset for the rebuild. Its a good deal for Ottawa imo.. but their fans may not agree and I can see Edmonton fans not liking this deal either... shes close I think.

Batherson - White - Ryan

or

White - Mcdavid - ???
Batherson - Draisaitl - Ryan

Whatever works best.. can move these pieces around as white is a C

This is a very bad deal for Edmonton. Ryan is terrible and even more expensive than Lucic. Nuge to White is a clear and obvious downgrade - Nuge is a best-case scenario of what White might be, to say nothing of a 1st/Batherson swap.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
This is a very bad deal for Edmonton. Ryan is terrible and even more expensive than Lucic. Nuge to White is a clear and obvious downgrade - Nuge is a best-case scenario of what White might be, to say nothing of a 1st/Batherson swap.

White is cheap though.

Ryan isn't as bad as you think.. he would do 50+ points in our top 6.. he has the IQ to play with MCD

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I swear it needs to be stickied in this thread that Lucic has a NMC

Not to say that he wouldn't ever waive it. But Ottawa, let's be real.

Well scrap Lucic out the deal then... but then I don't want RNH in there either doesn't work.

EDM 1st + Pulj + ??? (Bear??)

for

Colin White + Batherson

I don't think we have the assets anymore to land those players. I think they do need RHD though.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
I think it probably would be enough. Think about it, that's a lot more goals if we had two guys thrive as top 6 forwards this year and put up 50 points.

I think we see Russell / Benning shopped for forward help this offseason.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
White is cheap though.

Ryan isn't as bad as you think.. he would do 50+ points in our top 6.. he has the IQ to play with MCD

Patrick Maroon was almost a 50 point player with McDavid and he didn’t have a 7,5 million dollar price tag.

White is cheap and unproven. Batherson too. We’re giving up a lot of value to only get back what you’re suggesting.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

It is indeed a terrible proposal, but I'm scratching my head about the bold. Ryan has 40 points this year. If that's terrible, what does that make Lucic? If someone could engineer a Lucic for Ryan swap, they'd be a genius. Yeah, Ryan makes $1.25M more than Lucic, but he's still an NHL player, his deal is shorter and if worse comes to worse you can buy him out a lot cheaper and easier than you can Lucic.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Patrick Maroon was almost a 50 point player with McDavid and he didn’t have a 7,5 million dollar price tag.

White is cheap and unproven. Batherson too. We’re giving up a lot of value to only get back what you’re suggesting.

Well you take your pick of the assets you want back off their Roster.. I'm telling you right now Colin White is the best one they got not named Chabot / Tkachuk / Brannstrom and he's already pacing for 50 points as a rookie. I'm looking at the overall package as a whole... gives us our top 6 in one move.

Ryan > Lucic
White < RNH (at this very moment)
Batherson < 1st (unknown though but id say)

The trade favors Ottawa in Value right now but gives the Oilers a better team.. Oilers gain cap space as well in this deal. All 3 pieces can slot into our top 6 next year. With White.. you won't even really feel like your missing RNH.

We would now have 5 pieces for the top 6 (I know Ryan isn't ideal but id rather have him then Lucic at least Lucic money is now in the top 6)

Cap space saved is what... we take on ryan at 7.5 and 2 ELC players.. so that's what like 9.5 million?
We send back 12 million. so 2.5 million in cap to further improve the team however you see fit.

Patrick Maroon is a plug.. White ceiling is high. Maybe he scores 70 in our top 6? Its possible.

Reactions: Messrules11

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It is indeed a terrible proposal, but I'm scratching my head about the bold. Ryan has 40 points this year. If that's terrible, what does that make Lucic? If someone could engineer a Lucic for Ryan swap, they'd be a genius. Yeah, Ryan makes $1.25M more than Lucic, but he's still an NHL player, his deal is shorter and if worse comes to worse you can buy him out a lot cheaper and easier than you can Lucic.

40 points on a miserable team with zero defensive structure. He’s also -25

Ryan for Lucic segment we maybe win a bit, sure, but RNH+1st for White and Batherson? I’m gonna need a bucket.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009

Anyone who thinks obtaining White + Batherson while losing Lucic is a horrible proposal.. even at the expense of RNH doesn't know who Colin White and Batherson really are. We will all know who they are soon though. Grabbing Ryan in this deal is sweet... Ryan is a good hockey player.. he can do 50-60 points in our top six and has the IQ to play with MCD and Draisaitl..

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Well you take your pick of the assets you want back off their Roster.. I'm telling you right now Colin White is the best one they got not named Chabot / Tkachuk / Brannstrom and he's already pacing for 50 points as a rookie. I'm looking at the overall package as a whole... gives us our top 6 in one move.

Ryan > Lucic
White < RNH (at this very moment)
Batherson < 1st (unknown though but id say)

The trade favors Ottawa in Value right now but gives the Oilers a better team.. Oilers gain cap space as well in this deal. All 3 pieces can slot into our top 6 next year. With White.. you won't even really feel like your missing RNH.

We would now have 5 pieces for the top 6 (I know Ryan isn't ideal but id rather have him then Lucic at least Lucic money is now in the top 6)

Cap space saved is what... we take on ryan at 7.5 and 2 ELC players.. so that's what like 9.5 million?
We send back 12 million. so 2.5 million in cap to further improve the team however you see fit.

Patrick Maroon is a plug.. White ceiling is high. Maybe he scores 70 in our top 6? Its possible.

So we’ve downgraded from Nuge to White - twist it however you like that’s reality - and dumped a top ten pick off a cliff for a good AHLer, and added an absolute liability that can grease in a few points when he plays for a team that doesn’t expect any kind of defence to be played, but we’ve gained enough cap space to sign Alex Chiasson until White’s ELC expires? Cool.

The only thing I’m interested in from Ottawa is a convenient desert island on which to maroon Lucic. I am in no way shape or form interested in trading them one of the few good forwards this team has, nor am I interested in throwing out first rounder overboard just because Batherson’s had a good AHL season. Ottawa isn’t in a position to demand overpays on anyone but Chabot and doing so would be yet another managerial failure in a long, long list of them by the Oilers .

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
So we’ve downgraded from Nuge to White - twist it however you like that’s reality - and dumped a top ten pick off a cliff for a good AHLer, and added an absolute liability that can grease in a few points when he plays for a team that doesn’t expect any kind of defence to be played, but we’ve gained enough cap space to sign Alex Chiasson until White’s ELC expires? Cool.

I wouldn't sign Chiasson hes a plug. I like skill. I mean fine if you can fit Chiasson into our bottom 6 that's great.. that's what he is.. a bottom 6 player.

Fine.. change the name Batherson for whomever you want.. Batherson is the name that makes Ottawa fans say HELL NO to this deal that you think is an overpay from the Oilers.

You will see that WHITE isn't much of a downgrade on RNH either... hes a rookie on pace for 50 points playing as a C. Hes younger and cheaper.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
You know what.. when Ottawa makes the playoffs before the Oilers... then we will figure it out eh...

Ottawa's drafting is top notch its not gonna take them long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad