Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Free Agent Frenzy "I'd Buy That For a Dollar!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Shuffle deck chairs? They added pretty much an entire top line in the last year plus and an elite #1 defenseman. They arguably have the best roster in the NHL now, up there with Tampa and Colorado.
I hate them but that team is stacked.
Who is their elite scorer? Mark Stone? How much better is AP than Schmidt?

They won't win.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Safe to say their rebuild has passed ours.

We shall see once you factor in the massive raises that Petterssen and Hughes come next season. Oilers top 2 guys are already locked up for multiple years. Petterssen is almost certainly going to come in at a higher cap hit than what Draisaitl has here.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Who is their elite scorer? Mark Stone? How much better is AP than Schmidt?

They won't win.

No elite forwards but they have depth at every position, two #1 Dmen, a #1 goalie and an identity as a fast, physical team that comes at you in waves.
Yes, Pietrangelo is much better than Schmidt.

If it wasn't for the ref screwjob against the Sharks (and they dominated that series), they likely would have made three straight Conference finals and this is before adding a top 10 Dman.

And now Vancouver has two Dmen better than Oiler Dman. Wonderful

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
No elite forwards but they have depth at every position, two #1 Dmen, a #1 goalie and an identity as a fast, physical team that comes at you in waves.
Yes, Pietrangelo is much better than Schmidt.

If it wasn't for the ref screwjob against the Sharks (and they dominated that series), they likely would have made three straight Conference finals and this is before adding a top 10 Dman.
Same team that wouldn't go to the dirty areas for DeBoer. I guess we will see.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
McCrimmon says Golden Knights will go with $12 million Fleury and Lehner tandem. “Marc and Robin are going to be our goaltenders as we go into training camp and the season.”

I thought everybody said you can't have 10+ million in goal?.....
I thought that Fleury and his agent were convinced he was done in Vegas. It seems like the Knights are in a situation where that team just implodes. High turnover, no loyalty to players or to staff. Factor in their lack of proven depth up the middle and I could see that roster underperforming. Mind you this is coming from someone who hopes they do. I wish nothing but failure from the NHL's little pet project.

Reactions: Oilhawks

North

Jun 25, 2009
McCrimmon says Golden Knights will go with $12 million Fleury and Lehner tandem. “Marc and Robin are going to be our goaltenders as we go into training camp and the season.”

I thought everybody said you can't have 10+ million in goal?.....

They have no choice. Nobody wants Fleury at that cap hit with only a second round pick attached.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I thought that Fleury and his agent were convinced he was done in Vegas. It seems like the Knights are in a situation where that team just implodes. High turnover, no loyalty to players or to staff. Factor in their lack of proven depth up the middle and I could see that roster underperforming. Mind you this is coming from someone who hopes they do. I wish nothing but failure from the NHL's little pet project.

Imagine being Max Pacioretty and going into next season knowing that they tried to trade him. Imagine being Fleury and knowing they don’t really want you there. It’s not going to be all sunshine and rainbows there.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Absolutely embarrassing. The trade saved DimJim’s Jon, but otherwise he’s had an awful offseason and he’s kicking the cap crunch down to...next season?

Honestly, I don’t think they are in that bad of shape next season. I imagine Demko, Peterson and Hughes coming in at somewhere between $18-20M. I imagine they’ll buy out Eriksson after this year and in the first year of the buyout they save $2M. Currently they are projected to have about $27.1M; add the $2M and subtract $20M for their 3 guys mentioned and you are down to $9.1M. They’ll lose someone in the expansion draft and I imagine that is Myers or Holtby. They’ll need 3 d-men (4 if Myers is taken) and another 6 forwards I believe.
They should be fine. And if waiting in the market place gets you Nate Schmidt for a 3rd I imagine other bargains to be had next year.

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
Because I don't think it's true. I think it's crazy to say if you don't hit on a first round pick in any given year you've taken three steps back.

The Oilers in specific seem to be proof of the opposite. Edmonton has hit hard on so many first round picks in the last 10 years and they're still behind. Oddly they've been pretty trash from rounds 2-7 though.

JP certainly didn't set the team back three years. Trading for Griffin Reinhart and Spooner sure did though. Hall for Larsson?

I respectfully disagree.
Those are fair points. But I think you can argue Paajarvi and Yakupov were bad misses, and trading away Eberle and Hall for returns that aren’t proper value is the equivalent of missing on the pick. Add in the Reinhardt trade and Pully not contributing as of yet, and that’s a lot of misses in the last 10 years. Basically you need to have a solid player in your lineup from the first round, whether it be the player you picked or what the pick was traded for. But you’re right that it’s definitely up for debate.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
How does Las Vegas trade one of their best defenceman to a division rival for only a third-round pick lol

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Canucks were one of the few teams on his NTC that could take all his money....Vegas was desperate to unload his salary and had limited options

players that leave Vegas look worse after they leave, Nate will be no different
good player, but overrated due to his team IMO

somewhere, Julian Brisbois is sweating...

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
They have every advantage. Still no elite goal scorer, defenseman or goalie imo. Remind me of the Rangers for the past 10 years
They just f***ing signed Pietrangelo. Pacioretty had 30+ goals, again. And I'd I'd say Lehner is maybe not elite but close.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Honestly, I don’t think they are in that bad of shape next season. I imagine Demko, Peterson and Hughes coming in at somewhere between $18-20M. I imagine they’ll buy out Eriksson after this year and in the first year of the buyout they save $2M. Currently they are projected to have about $27.1M; add the $2M and subtract $20M for their 3 guys mentioned and you are down to $9.1M. They’ll lose someone in the expansion draft and I imagine that is Myers or Holtby. They’ll need 3 d-men (4 if Myers is taken) and another 6 forwards I believe.
They should be fine
. And if waiting in the market place gets you Nate Schmidt for a 3rd I imagine other bargains to be had next year.

So they would need 6/12 forwards and 4/6 Dmen? And they’re going to be fine?

What?

Reactions: North

North

Jun 25, 2009
Canucks were one of the few teams on his NTC that could take all his money....Vegas was desperate to unload his salary and had limited options

players that leave Vegas look worse after they leave, Nate will be no different
good player, but overrated due to his team IMO

somewhere, Julian Brisbois is sweating...

Schmidt was good in Washington too though.

Reactions: Grantham and Zaddy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad