Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Free Agent Frenzy "I'd Buy That For a Dollar!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He showed during the playoffs that something's there.
There’s a huge difference between a 4 game hot stretch and holding a team down for 50 games. Demko is a good young goalie and I wouldn’t be surprised if he became a good starter one day. For Canucks sake they better hope that one day is next year.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Man next offseason will be so important for this team.
  • Chiasson, Russell, Khaira, Smith off the books
  • Pouliot buyout expires ($1.33M) and Sekera buyout drops by $1M
  • Yamamoto, Nuge need extensions. Likely between $6-7 AAV for RNH and a bridge for Kailer
  • Larsson & Barrie contracts both expire. Interesting to see what happens there
  • Ennis, Haas, Nygard contracts all expire. Holland should have plenty of options once again for cheap, quality depth
  • Jones, Klefbom, Nurse & Bear all need protection from the expansion draft
Assuming we let Barrie go, we’ll have a lot of space to pick up a great McWinger next offseason and a potential starting goaltender.

Well, they still need to sign a D, or trade for one, beyond the 20-21 season. Otherwise they will lose 1 of those 4 guys in bold to Seattle.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Yeah, you gotta figure it's between us and the nucks for second place next year.
Calgary will likely be better than the nucks.

Markstrom was arguably their MVP last year, Schmidt is probably a better option than Tanev but still close to a wash. Toffoli was a solid there and he’s gone now.

If Demko isn’t the goalie he was against Vegas and he struggles I don’t see Holtby bailing them out.

Vancouver got worse this offseason. Calgary got slightly better with Markstrom, probably their best goalie since Kiprusoff.

People forget Calgary was actually a point up on Vancouver when the season ended last year.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
While we're stuck in Mud spinning our Tires.
A team like Vegas can do this and not worry much because they have mostly good players. THEY KNOW SOMEBODY WILL TAKE THEIR GOOD PLAYER after they upgraded on that player.

Say Holland went way over the cap. Who is going to line up to take a Chaisson, Khaira, Russell, from us? lol

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So let me get this straight, not only does Vegas get Pietrangelo but they also gift Vancouver of all team Nate Schmidt. Fuuuuck, as if there isn't any more reason to hate that organization. They had to trade Schmidt within the division? Really?
I don't ever want to hear that teams won't trade within the division again.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
A team like Vegas can do this and not worry much because they have mostly good players. THEY KNOW SOMEBODY WILL TAKE THEIR GOOD PLAYER after they upgraded on that player.

Say Holland went way over the cap. Who is going to line up to take a Chaisson, Khaira, Russell, from us? lol

Why can we not move one of our contracts to Detroit?

Plenty of cap space and are rebuilding?

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
So let me get this straight, not only does Vegas get Pietrangelo but they also gift Vancouver of all team Nate Schmidt. Fuuuuck, as if there isn't any more reason to hate that organization. They had to trade Schmidt within the division? Really?
I don't ever want to hear that teams won't trade within the division again.
Very annoying. Vegas don't care because they are so good lol. They don't care about improving Vancouver. They aren't scared of them for the foreseeable future.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Well, they still need to sign a D, or trade for one, beyond the 20-21 season. Otherwise they will lose 1 of those 4 guys in bold to Seattle.
I’m really curious what they do. Inform Seattle about Klefbom’s injuries to convince them he’s not worth taking? Go 4-4, in which case we likely lose Pulju (unless we sign Nuge as UFA)? Or give up an asset for them to take another player?

Regardless, we need to sign another defenseman before the season starts that meets the expansion criteria otherwise we expose one of Jones or Klefbom for sure.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Is Schmidt really that much better than Tanev? I know he’s good but I wouldn’t consider him a top pairing dmen. Still feel that Vancouver is worse this offseason.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
They keep going deeper in the playoffs while improving their roster every year. What you mean "no plan"?

Year 1 lost in cup final
Year two lost in first round
Year 3 lost in conference final

What plan? Shuffle deck chairs? And DeBoer hasn't won a thing.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Calgary will likely be better than the nucks.

Markstrom was arguably their MVP last year, Schmidt is probably a better option than Tanev but still close to a wash. Toffoli was a solid there and he’s gone now.

If Demko isn’t the goalie he was against Vegas and he struggles I don’t see Holtby bailing them out.

Vancouver got worse this offseason. Calgary got slightly better with Markstrom, probably their best goalie since Kiprusoff.

People forget Calgary was actually a point up on Vancouver when the season ended last year.

The Flames have lost Hamonic, Brodie and Gustafsson on their blue line and have only added Tanev. Not to mention Giordano is now one year older.

As good as Markstrom is, I don’t think he solves all of their problems , especially if Flames are losing pieces.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Calgary still has the Gaudreau trade coming, right? That didn't happen while I wasn't paying attention?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
How come?
Because I don't think it's true. I think it's crazy to say if you don't hit on a first round pick in any given year you've taken three steps back.

The Oilers in specific seem to be proof of the opposite. Edmonton has hit hard on so many first round picks in the last 10 years and they're still behind. Oddly they've been pretty trash from rounds 2-7 though.

JP certainly didn't set the team back three years. Trading for Griffin Reinhart and Spooner sure did though. Hall for Larsson?

I respectfully disagree.

Reactions: tabs

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
McCrimmon says Golden Knights will go with $12 million Fleury and Lehner tandem. “Marc and Robin are going to be our goaltenders as we go into training camp and the season.”

I thought everybody said you can't have 10+ million in goal?.....

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Given the praise some have given to Markstrom for keeping the Canucks afloat, I wonder if the Flames would be in that conversation as well.

Yeah I think so, but their d is just as bad as ours is and they don't have the firepower to outscore it as often as we can. But yeah, I think they are in the conversation as well

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Year 1 lost in cup final
Year two lost in first round
Year 3 lost in conference final

What plan? Shuffle deck chairs? And DeBoer hasn't won a thing.

Shuffle deck chairs? They added pretty much an entire top line in the last year plus and an elite #1 defenseman. They arguably have the best roster in the NHL now, up there with Tampa and Colorado.
I hate them but that team is stacked. It's a cup contender for the next 5? years or so.

Reactions: Grantham

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Man I'm so salty right now.

I dont even think Hollands done a bad job.

Hard to compete with one team adding a top 5 defenceman, another a top pairing guy and another a starting goaltender.

Yeah but the Canucks also lost a top 6 fwd, a top 4 dman for their team(also their top defensive dman), their #1 goalie, and their 3rd pair dman. Adding Schmidt and Holtby doesn't offset the rest of their losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad