Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Free Agent Frenzy "I'd Buy That For a Dollar!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Canucks were one of the few teams on his NTC that could take all his money....Vegas was desperate to unload his salary and had limited options

players that leave Vegas look worse after they leave, Nate will be no different
good player, but overrated due to his team IMO

somewhere, Julian Brisbois is sweating...

Schmidt looked great already in Washington. I wasn't surprised at all to see him break out in Vegas. He's a very good defenseman who plays the modern style of hockey. He'll be good in Vancouver too. Their top4 is pretty solid with him, Hughes, Myers and Edler.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Schmidt looked great already in Washington. I wasn't surprised at all to see him break out in Vegas. He's a very good defenseman who plays the modern style of hockey. He'll be good in Vancouver too. Their top4 is pretty solid with him, Hughes, Myers and Edler.

Myers is lowkey a problem, but Hughes-Schmidt is a really nice pairing and Rafferty is coming.

North

Jun 25, 2009

Myers is a penalty taking machine because he gets beat a lot. Edler is not what he once was. Hughes is very good offensively but gets punished by bigger forwards. Schmidt is legit. That d corps is not all that great.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Myers is a penalty taking machine because he gets beat a lot. Edler is not what he once was. Hughes is very good offensively but gets punished by bigger forwards. Schmidt is legit. That d corps is not all that great.

It’s a good d core, much better than ours and they have better goaltending. Oilers saving grace over the Flames and Canucks is that we have McDrai who tilt the favour our way, IMO.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I’m really curious what they do. Inform Seattle about Klefbom’s injuries to convince them he’s not worth taking? Go 4-4, in which case we likely lose Pulju (unless we sign Nuge as UFA)? Or give up an asset for them to take another player?

Regardless, we need to sign another defenseman before the season starts that meets the expansion criteria otherwise we expose one of Jones or Klefbom for sure.
I think by the time the expansion draft rolls around we might have a very different view on who’s worth protecting. The progression of Jones/Bear/Broberg/Samorukov/Bouchard and the extent of Klefbom’s injury will play big into it, but I don’t think it’s out of the question that they could potentially leave Nurse exposed.....lots of time before those questions need to be answered.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Honestly, I don’t think they are in that bad of shape next season. I imagine Demko, Peterson and Hughes coming in at somewhere between $18-20M. I imagine they’ll buy out Eriksson after this year and in the first year of the buyout they save $2M. Currently they are projected to have about $27.1M; add the $2M and subtract $20M for their 3 guys mentioned and you are down to $9.1M. They’ll lose someone in the expansion draft and I imagine that is Myers or Holtby. They’ll need 3 d-men (4 if Myers is taken) and another 6 forwards I believe.
They should be fine. And if waiting in the market place gets you Nate Schmidt for a 3rd I imagine other bargains to be had next year.

They are already at 54m for 13 players next season. You can add about 20 mil onto that for Hughes, Petterssen and Demko, which now puts them at 74m for 16 players. They will be pretty much capped out this season, and still have to factor in Petterssen and Hughes bonus money again which will probably lead to another 1.7m in bonus overage. This overage will pretty much cancel out any savings from a Eriksson buyout, so now your at 74m for 15 players. You still have to replace Edler, Pearson, Sutter and Benns spots on the roster as well next season.

North

Jun 25, 2009
It’s a good d core, much better than ours and they have better goaltending. Oilers saving grace over the Flames and Canucks is that we have McDrai who tilt the favour our way, IMO.

Holtby was terrible last season and Demko is a question mark. Their goaltending is not necessarily better. Their d core is okay. Schmidt and Hughes are fine. Myers is not and Edler is limited.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Canucks downgraded in goal.... and even with Schmidt, slightly downgraded the depth at D
plus they lost Toffoli

are they better today that in August? I don't think so

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Islanders still need to shed cap and if recent events are any indication they might not want to pay the price to trade Boychuk.

I wonder if Leddy could shake loose, 2 years left at 5.5 and no trade protection.

Reactions: DropTheGloves

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Pacific:
1. VGK
2. EDM
3. CGY

I really like no California teams making the playoffs. The last time that happened was 24 years ago. The California teams dominated the division for far too long.

Once Seattle is in the league and things have returned to somewhat normal I hope the league moves to four four-team divisions per conference. Make a NW/Smythe division of Edmonton - Calgary - Vancouver - Seattle.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Islanders still need to shed cap and if recent events are any indication they might not want to pay the price to trade Boychuk.

I wonder if Leddy could shake loose, 2 years left at 5.5 and no trade protection.

My favourite thing today was the rumour that they were working on a Boychuk trade, only to trade Devon Toews for draft picks.

Reactions: DropTheGloves

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I really like no California teams making the playoffs. The last time that happened was 24 years ago. The California teams dominated the division for far too long.

Once Seattle is in the league and things have returned to somewhat normal I hope the league moves to four four-team divisions per conference. Make a NW/Smythe division of Edmonton - Calgary - Vancouver - Seattle.

What would playoffs look like under this, top 2 teams in each division make it in with div leaders ranked 1-4, then 5-8 fall in line based on points?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think by the time the expansion draft rolls around we might have a very different view on who’s worth protecting. The progression of Jones/Bear/Broberg/Samorukov/Bouchard and the extent of Klefbom’s injury will play big into it, but I don’t think it’s out of the question that they could potentially leave Nurse exposed.....lots of time before those questions need to be answered.

Klefbom won't meet the requirements for exposing, as he won't have played enough games.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
1.5 mil for Russell isn’t a big number. And it doesn’t come with term either.

I don’t think it’s as easy as 1,2,3 but it’s certainly not impossible.

Russell really should be easy to get rid of. Which really makes me think Holland doesn't WANT to get rid of him. He must think that Russell can cover the third pairing, and also cover for injuries on the left or right side. There isn't really another explanation that I can think of.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Unloading a long term deal at a high cap hit without taking any salary back is. But unloading a short term deal like Chiasson shouldn’t be.

But it is. Chaisson is a league minimum cap hit player on most teams now unless you want to pay 1.4 million more for his experience.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
1.5 mil for Russell isn’t a big number. And it doesn’t come with term either.

I don’t think it’s as easy as 1,2,3 but it’s certainly not impossible.

Who said it was impossible? I am pulling the chain of all the people who say how easy it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad