Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Free Agent Frenzy "I'd Buy That For a Dollar!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
You just said why it’s difficult to trade Russell - “If we could trade Russell we should, and sign someone as good or better for less cap. ”.

Why would your rival GM trade for Russell when they could do the exact same thing?

Also I said we need Russell if Klefbom was not coming back. I didn’t think we were getting rid of Russell this off season anyway. Between the high cap hit, his NTC, and Covid enforced cap floors on other teams we would have to give up a valuable asset in addition that we have precious few of to give up, if even that were possible.
Another team might have an internal cap and be able to spend 1.5 million on a defenseman but not 2.5, for example. We could trade them Russell and sign a UFA defenseman that would be asking for more. Not a completely unlikely scenario.

Also, two GMs might not value the same player equally.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Another team might have an internal cap and be able to spend 1.5 million on a defenseman but not 2.5, for example. We could trade them Russell and sign a UFA defenseman that would be asking for more. Not a completely unlikely scenario.

Also, two GMs might not value the same player equally.

Of course but that wasn’t the scenario. It was; trade Russell and find someone equal or better for less cap, not more.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Of course but that wasn’t the scenario. It was; trade Russell and find someone equal or better for less cap, not more.
The scenario I described fits. Teams might care about actual salary vs cap hits.

Oilers trade Russell (4 mil cap hit, 1.5 mil salary) to a team with an internal cap. Oilers then sign a comparable player for 1 year at a 2.5 mil cap hit. We save 1.5 mil in cap space, and the other team saves 1 mil in real dollars.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Also, Bear's sudden upswing gives me faint hope that Jones can take similar strides. Let's not forget that before the shutdown, he had 11 points in 14 games with Bakersfield. That's better than Bear ever produced at that level and they're the same age.

IF Jones can become a 20-point guy two-way guy as well, that pushes Russell down to the third pairing where he should be and really rounds the D out nicely even with Klefbom out a significant amount of time.

I’m going to say something unpopular (seem to be on a roll with these sorts of posts), but I have a feeling that Jones could be better than Bear (and I like Bear).

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

BuT iT iS sO eAsY tO tRaDe CoNtRaCtS!

Yeah I'm re-evaluating things, I thought it would be easier to get out from under contracts (not way easier, but easier nonetheless), I'm starting to think Chiasson instead of getting a bag of pucks back, might actually cost a tiny bit to move. Russell still seems tradeable, but the market is limited since we'd have to target specific teams that don't care about cap-hit, but do care about actual dollars, and on top of that it can't be on his no trade list, it might be an insurmountable obstacle if he is trying to force us to keep him through his NTC, but I still believe he is moveable if there was no NTC as a possible hindrance.

Not counting Chara who IMO is Boston or retire, I'd say there are 5 (arguably 6) d-men that are still in free agency who are better than Russell, the options on that front have diminished pretty considerably, so we're getting close-ish to the point where some teams who are still looking might consider him.

For Chiasson I'd say there are 12 forwards left who are better than him in free agency (not counting Thornton), though even some worse than him might garner greater interest as they are either younger or would be on better value contracts.

For Russell I think the most likely suitors are Ottawa and Arizona. Ottawa would probably want a Mike Reilly swap and I could see Arizona wanting a Goligoski swap (fairly significant real dollar savings- should be noted Goligoski has his own NTC).

For Chiasson I think Jersey is probably the best fit, maybe Chiasson + a 5th or 6th rd pick for future considerations.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I’m going to say something unpopular (seem to be on a roll with these sorts of posts), but I have a feeling that Jones could be better than Bear (and I like Bear).

I'd be surprised if this happened, but I'd welcome it. Bear's vision and passing are on another level to Jones (and even our vet D-men). Neither have shown much in the O-zone, but I think Bear's got more ability there too. Jones skating is better, but I was disappointed in his passing/vision and at times decision making in his one end. I'm not high on Jones, but do wish he turns out and I'm wrong.

Reactions: Oilhawks

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
Sure, great I guess. But it still doesn't solve the problem that we HAVE to expose a D that meets the requirements. Right now we would have to expose one of nurse, bear, or Jones.
Yes, I understand that. We can sign a league min guy who doesn’t get a contract to meet that criteria. My point was that if we don’t have to protect Klef and he won’t be exposed, we won’t have to lose Jones.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Do you guys think Benson can make the team this season? I thought he played decent when he was called up.

I'd be a bit surprised, and that's nothing against Benson but I look at the left side and...

Tyler Ennis already skating means he'll be ready for the season. There's a McD or Drai winger.

RNH will be a LW.

James Neal is on this team and at that money he can't just sit, so there's a LW.

Benson has to beat Khaira AND Nygard, which to me is EASY but from a salary aspect, they may keep Jujhar around to start to see if he can find his game physically or Tippett also liked Nygard's speed and PK ability.

So if Benson makes it, it's likely because Tipp believes he can play a defensive role, I'm forecasting Tipp won't believe that. However I prefer Benson to Jujhar or Nygard. We also may add a LW later, either in a trade for Chiasson or Michael Grabner who isn't deciding on a contract until much later.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Do you guys think Benson can make the team this season? I thought he played decent when he was called up.

All depends on his skating. His skating wasn't good enough to my eye last year. I did see his vision, a bit of poise, and ability to make plays though. But his skating really needs to take another step. If it does, we could have a player here.

Reactions: 780il

North

Jun 25, 2009
1.5 mil for Russell isn’t a big number. And it doesn’t come with term either.

I don’t think it’s as easy as 1,2,3 but it’s certainly not impossible.

Except he can’t be shipped to just any team. It has to be a team that he doesn’t have on his no trade list.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

If Tippett hated Gagner, he's not going to like Benson.

Here's hoping he worked on his skating like Bear did.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Wtf is going on, I gain 80lbs from grub and I’m just trying to relax and shit and I come here to see the cucks get Schmidt for only a 3rd?

59D05959-573C-4BAA-A50C-E4D976E844DB.jpeg

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I'd be surprised if this happened, but I'd welcome it. Bear's vision and passing are on another level to Jones (and even our vet D-men). Neither have shown much in the O-zone, but I think Bear's got more ability there too. Jones skating is better, but I was disappointed in his passing/vision and at times decision making in his one end. I'm not high on Jones, but do wish he turns out and I'm wrong.

Jones until this season... had serious defensive brainfarts constantly in the AHL. I wasn't a fan, but he's steadied his game.

Jones has better tools but I personally don't know if he'll progress past Bear. Bear is so underrated in every aspect.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Russell really should be easy to get rid of. Which really makes me think Holland doesn't WANT to get rid of him. He must think that Russell can cover the third pairing, and also cover for injuries on the left or right side. There isn't really another explanation that I can think of.

He could be waiting to see how things shake out with the remaining free agents. As the days and weeks go by, the contracts for a lot of these free agents will continue to shrink. Heck, there will probably be some decent players who will end up having to take a PTO. I still believe Russell at only 1.5m real cash on an expiring deal could be dumped tomorrow if he really really wanted to at this very moment.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Jones until this season... had serious defensive brainfarts constantly in the AHL. I wasn't a fan, but he's steadied his game.

Jones has better tools but I personally don't know if he'll progress past Bear. Bear is so underrated in every aspect.

Dont watch the AHL games but I could definitely see it. Decision making is a pretty big factor in D-men... you don't have much time before forecheckers come barreling at you. That's why Bear is such a revelation, he navigates pressure situations calmly, finds a way out, then rips a bullet pass tape to tape... not too much thinking going on, just great instincts. Jones.... I don't see much of that quality so he'll have to make his way in the NHL in other ways... maybe as a puck carrier... but even in that regard he comes off pretty average. He needs to show more this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->