I'd like to see Jokinen here..

Maroon - McDavid - Draisaitl
Lucic - RNH - Caggiula
Jokinen - Strome - Puljujarvi
Slepyshev - Letestu - Kassian
Khaira

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I think we'll see a UFA signing or a trade once the McDavid/Draisaitl contracts are done.

Well if that's the case there will be no signings or trades (I have a feeling the Draisaitl contract takes the whole summer)

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Well if that's the case there will be no signings or trades (I have a feeling the Draisaitl contract takes the whole summer)

I also have this strange feeling that McDavid might not be signed this summer.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I like it for Yak, but Joe Sakic does not look like an NHL GM right now.

UnicornONtheCOBB

Jun 29, 2016
And if a team offer sheets Draisaitl and Chia did have the cap space to match I bet you would be one of the fans saying he should have waited fire him .

Fans are so fickle . Last year everyone ( maybe a few of us weren't ) Yell and whining about Chia made us worst . Relax Chia is a proven winner the team had been so mach better since he took over . Just because you don't see how the puzzle will fit together doesn't mean Chia hasn't made the right moves . Fans on here wanted Eberle left unprotected . Chia trades him for a younger guy with upside and the same fans calls for his head . LOL

exactly my thoughts. Draisaitl and his camp kind of hold all the cards right now. Until they agree to a number, or sign a deal with Edmonton or an offer sheet with another team, there isn't much the Oilers can do. That is, if they intend on keeping Leon, which seems like the plan. They need to keep between 7 and 11 million of cap space open for that contract.

As for the bargain players, like Jokinen, Jagr, Doan, Iginla, etc. All the players that haven't signed are looking for money and term too, they want to make as much as they can. Just because we see them as a 1 year, 1.25 million player doesn't mean that they do. Every agent is still looking to get his player the most money that he can. Not, a whole lot of 1 year, bargain deals have been signed yet, and those are really the only thing that this team can afford. With McDavid's, Draisaitl's. and even Talbot's new deals all needed over the next calendar year, all including huge raises. Add to that, RNH, Lucic, Sekera all making big money. Without moving a large contract or 2 out, there is no room for players, especially the one's that have signed so far.

Chia has a plan, his hands are some what tied due to the situation that this team is in. There will be players available for cheaper deals, later in the summer, there always are. I get that Mcdavid is a huge reason for this team's turn around, but without other pieces and players, he would not of been able to do it on his own. Chia has made a lot of really good moves, Talbot has been huge for this team, what if he gone after Lack or Lehner, where would this team be? Larsson was huge for us, Benning too. Chia has done way more to help, than he has done to hinder, so why is there so much negativity around here and in this fan base.

Look at Kris Russel, no one with eyes, can say he didn't help this team last year, he was a solid 2nd pairing D, who played the 3rd most minutes on a team that finished 8th overall, and 8th in team defence, and yet we will still have a large portion of fans who hate him. Why? because analytics say he's bad? The same analytics that say Pouliot and Fayne and Maricin are good players? Yeah, numbers matter, wins and losses, those are the numbers that matter. I trust my eyes watching a player, more than some spreadsheet or chart that shows otherwise. Chia likes Russel, his teammates like Russel, this organization likes Russell, but apparently they are all wrong, and know nothing. The analytic bloggers know it all, guess what, I'll trust his teammates before any blogger.

For a team, that has the best young player in the world, coming off a huge year, another top 10 scorer in Leon, a goalie who finished top 4 in Vezina voting, and a bunch of other really good players. The team just went from 29th overall to 8th. They went to game 7 of the 2nd round, and could of easily won that series as well. You have all these things going for you, and a bunch of fans are upset because their computer told them that Russel is bad at hockey, and we didn't trade for Hamonic, and we haven't signed anyone but AHL players so far. Maybe, it's just a really vocal minority that is so negative, but I for one, am excited for where this team is and where I believe it going to go.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
When you team is that bad, we've been there, you add cheap players that are more hopes then players, because that's really where you're left.

Yeah, throwing everything at the wall and hoping some of it sticks (Brule, O'Sullivan, Barker, Nikitin, Purcell, and others). Colorado looks like the replica of the Oilers. Even their young stars seem to follow a similar trajectory. MacKinnon was at some point regarded almost as highly as MacDavid.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
The Oilers could have claimed Jokinen off waivers and wouldnt have to worry about term.
4M x 1yr is what he would have made.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Am I the only one who would be all for letting a team offersheet Draisaitl for the 4 1st rounders compensation? With those picks you could definitely grab a TRUE #1 defenceman, shed a bit more salary in a trade for him. Then sign a Marleau/Vanek, and still have picks to acquire another good centreman.

Downgrading on Draisaitl down the middle, replacing him with RNH and another C option, adding a #1 defenceman and having cap space to add a Marleau/Vanek. Pretty sure that makes us a way better team?

How do those 4 first rounders make us compete for the cup the next 2 years?

Sign Leon and trade RNH instead.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
The Oilers could have claimed Jokinen off waivers and wouldnt have to worry about term.
4M x 1yr is what he would have made.

I would be surprised if he got more than one year or more than 4M. Probably closer to 2m for 1 year I would think.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If Edmonton doesnt go faaar in the playoffs next year, heads should roll in the front office.

Starting last offseason the Oilers had McDavid, Hall, Eberle, RNH, Klefbom, Nurse, no bad contracts over 4 years and a ton of cap space. What a great situation that was to come into, mostly because of McDavid factor, and flexibility of the roster. A cup within 3 year should have been expected and still should be. Ill wait till next year plays out but time is ticking

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
How do those 4 first rounders make us compete for the cup the next 2 years?

Sign Leon and trade RNH instead.

Agreed. 4 first round picks sounds great but we all thought that when we were drafting Eberle, MPS, Hall, RNH and Yakupov. You can never tell what you are going to get out of the draft.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Maroon - Mcdavid -Jagr/Drai
Lucic - RNH - Drai/Jagr
Etc...

Go for it Chia!

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
exactly my thoughts. Draisaitl and his camp kind of hold all the cards right now. Until they agree to a number, or sign a deal with Edmonton or an offer sheet with another team, there isn't much the Oilers can do. That is, if they intend on keeping Leon, which seems like the plan. They need to keep between 7 and 11 million of cap space open for that contract.

As for the bargain players, like Jokinen, Jagr, Doan, Iginla, etc. All the players that haven't signed are looking for money and term too, they want to make as much as they can. Just because we see them as a 1 year, 1.25 million player doesn't mean that they do. Every agent is still looking to get his player the most money that he can. Not, a whole lot of 1 year, bargain deals have been signed yet, and those are really the only thing that this team can afford. With McDavid's, Draisaitl's. and even Talbot's new deals all needed over the next calendar year, all including huge raises. Add to that, RNH, Lucic, Sekera all making big money. Without moving a large contract or 2 out, there is no room for players, especially the one's that have signed so far.

Chia has a plan, his hands are some what tied due to the situation that this team is in. There will be players available for cheaper deals, later in the summer, there always are. I get that Mcdavid is a huge reason for this team's turn around, but without other pieces and players, he would not of been able to do it on his own. Chia has made a lot of really good moves, Talbot has been huge for this team, what if he gone after Lack or Lehner, where would this team be? Larsson was huge for us, Benning too. Chia has done way more to help, than he has done to hinder, so why is there so much negativity around here and in this fan base.

Look at Kris Russel, no one with eyes, can say he didn't help this team last year, he was a solid 2nd pairing D, who played the 3rd most minutes on a team that finished 8th overall, and 8th in team defence, and yet we will still have a large portion of fans who hate him. Why? because analytics say he's bad? The same analytics that say Pouliot and Fayne and Maricin are good players? Yeah, numbers matter, wins and losses, those are the numbers that matter. I trust my eyes watching a player, more than some spreadsheet or chart that shows otherwise. Chia likes Russel, his teammates like Russel, this organization likes Russell, but apparently they are all wrong, and know nothing. The analytic bloggers know it all, guess what, I'll trust his teammates before any blogger.

For a team, that has the best young player in the world, coming off a huge year, another top 10 scorer in Leon, a goalie who finished top 4 in Vezina voting, and a bunch of other really good players. The team just went from 29th overall to 8th. They went to game 7 of the 2nd round, and could of easily won that series as well. You have all these things going for you, and a bunch of fans are upset because their computer told them that Russel is bad at hockey, and we didn't trade for Hamonic, and we haven't signed anyone but AHL players so far. Maybe, it's just a really vocal minority that is so negative, but I for one, am excited for where this team is and where I believe it going to go.
Offer sheets are pretty uncommon, I don't want to paralyze our team in fear of one, Leon also has to actually want to sign it, beyond just being offered one. If his agent was able to get a team to submit an offersheet, Leon could just be like team A gave me an offersheet for X amount, match it or I sign it. Their is no obligation for him to sign an offersheet he gets and I imagine all things being equal this is the place he most wants to be. Another thing with offersheets is we have a week to match so we can move some salary if need be, we should also have a walk away number in our head, to me that is around $10.5M where we just can't realistically sign him for that much and have to take the picks.

I'm not advocating going crazy taking on a bunch of money and damn the consequences, but if their is a value UFA out there that can be had for $1-2M that helps our team we should just go out and get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino