Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: FA Courting Period, I Wanna Court You Baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
And if Strome doesn't play in the top 6 he probably doesnt get a RFA qualfying offer. The guy is brutal! Meanwhile Calgary gets Hamonic for friggen draft picks!

Like you said. Wait until the season's over to make that assessment. Strome is considerably better than most are giving him credit for. His production after Doug Weight took over from Capuano is a testament to that.

And nobody's talking about Hamonic. Get over it.

North

Jun 25, 2009
And if Strome doesn't play in the top 6 he probably doesnt get a RFA qualfying offer. The guy is brutal! Meanwhile Calgary gets Hamonic for friggen draft picks!

Hamonic has been trending down. Calgary paid a premium for an oft injured d man they hope can rebound back to previous play.

If you're trading a first and two seconds it better be for someone trending up.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Yea with a 50 point winger who had a down year. We've now traded him for a worst player in every respect.

....for a 3rd straight year..maybe thats a big tell?

How will our scoring look if Draisaitl or Mcdavid go down? Also we really need a dman who can push the play like Letang in Pittsburgh.
the same if any team in the NHL lost their top 2 scoring threats :laugh:

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Like you said. Wait until the season's over to make that assessment. Strome is considerably better than most are giving him credit for. His production after Doug Weight took over from Capuano is a testament to that.

Are you paid by the Katz group? Because management never does anything bad in your eyes. Strome sucks

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
....for a 3rd straight year..maybe thats a big tell?

the same if any team in the NHL lost their top 2 scoring threats :laugh:

Well Pittsburgh seems to have managed fine losing Crosby for several seasons. I dont have the same faith in this group if Mcdavid went down.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Are you paid by the Katz group? Because management never does anything bad in your eyes. Strome sucks

Eberle sucks too. I have more faith that a 23 year old Strome can turn a career around more than a 27 year old Eberle.

I really think people have forgotten how bad Eberle really was last year. Like vomit worthy bad most nights.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Hamonic has been trending down. Calgary paid a premium for an oft injured d man they hope can rebound back to previous play.

If you're trading a first and two seconds it better be for someone trending up.

We didn't have picks to trade. Why did we trade a half decent winger for literally junk when we had a huge hole in that second pairing RHD spot? Our management has been brutal this off season and anyone saying they haven't has to be a paid employee of the oilers or knows nothing about hockey. I think its fair that fans get upset looking at our window to win the cup shutting and there being once again no urgency to take advantage of Mcdavids ELC.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Eberle sucks too. I have more faith that a 23 year old Strome can turn a career around more than a 27 year old Eberle.

I really think people have forgotten how bad Eberle really was last year. Like vomit worthy bad most nights.

Strome is 24 and his career year wasn't as good as Eberle's worse. Something to think about...

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
We didn't have picks to trade. Why did we trade a half decent winger for literally junk when we had a huge hole in that second pairing RHD spot? Our management has been brutal this off season and anyone saying they haven't has to be a paid employee of the oilers or knows nothing about hockey. I think its fair that fans get upset looking at our window to win the cup shutting and there being once again no urgency to take advantage of Mcdavids ELC.

Or maybe has accepted the fact that 99.9 percent of people who land NHL level jobs are in fact 10 times more qualified and knowledgeable in hockey than someone on an HF Board, so we'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt instead of bringing out the pitchforks 3 months before the puck is dropped.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Or maybe has accepted the fact that 99.9 percent of people who land NHL level jobs are in fact 10 times more qualified and knowledgeable in hockey than someone on an HF Board, so we'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt instead of bringing out the pitchforks 3 months before the puck is dropped.

Actually I have more faith in some of the people on HFboards then some of the scouts in the Oilers organization. The nepotism in the Oilers org and NHL in general is disgusting. Look at Nashville, brings in LOTS of young talent and they seem to always have a well run organization. Other teams not so much, looking at you Edmonton, Vancouver, Toronto....

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I'm trying to think of the last time I was super excited about an Oilers trade...
Probably the Pronger Trade. Too bad trades like that rarely happen anymore

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm trying to think of the last time I was super excited about an Oilers trade...

I think I was excited for Joni Pitkanen for Jason Smith, lol.

We tend to lose most trades we make sadly.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia

Do you know what exactly that was? All I heard is that is was an improvement but I haven't seen the stats.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Doesn't happen because were still the farm team for the NHL like we were in the late 90's early 2000's when we saw Guerin and Weight shipped out for nothing. The cap was supposed to change that and it hasn't. Our top flight players are still being moved for crappier players or picks/prospects. When's the last time we moved a top flight player and actually got a better player back? Think it goes back to the Vishnovsky deal.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Strome is 24 and his career year wasn't as good as Eberle's worse. Something to think about...

Meh, I don't have much of a read on Strome but we have the centers that can make him look better than a 2.5M dollar player. Hopefully the players involved can find the right fit and make it work.

Eberle's point totals are nothing to laugh about but how he was getting those points were more concerning to me. He rarely created offense anymore and most of his points came from simple plays where he benefited from someone else doing the heavy lifting.

A 6M player shouldn't be turning the McDavid effect upside down and looking like a 2M player for the most part while also getting demoted off the top line and powerplay.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
#97 = 97M for 8 years = 12.125M/year
#29 = 58M for 8 years = 7.25M/year

dare to dream ?

I think everyone would be ecstatic if that is the McDavid contract. While I would prefer cheaper from everything we are hearing that would be a nice deal for us compared to the higher numbers tossed around.

Draisaitl I still do not think he is worth 7.25M/Year. I could live with it but damn.

Every single one of high comparables drove their line Drai did not and when separated from McDavid had his even strength points take a severe decline. Yes he had a good playoffs but he also short 27.3% which is 10% above his already really high season shooting percentage of 16.8%. I think we see some regression in his goal scoring next year but it may be conteracted by his improvements on ice through development.
Where my big issue is comes when he has to drive his own line (last two years it has been Hall--> McDavid) and he for the most part has either not had the opportunity or has failed to show it besides a 5 point game in the playoffs. I just need more proof he is worth that money.

If it starts with an 8 I will be unhappy but at the end of the day I have to assume Chia and co tried working him down or at least thought about the impact McDavid had on his results.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
#97 = 97M for 8 years = 12.125M/year
#29 = 58M for 8 years = 7.25M/year

dare to dream ?

That's pretty much exactly how I see it panning out.

Drai probably comes in at $7.5 million.

If those 2 come in at or under $20 million... that's pretty much in line with expectations imo.

Keep in mind there is likely a slow creeping up of cap space over the next 9 years so both sides are taking that into account as well if they are being signed for the max 8 year term.

Even if the cap rises by say ~$2 million a year going forward... that could be another $18 million in cap space by the end of those contracts.

Cap ceiling over the last few years:

13/14: $64.3 million
14/15: $69.0 million
15/16: $71.4 million
16/17: $73.0 million
17/18: ~$75.0 million

That's a $10.7 million rise over the past 4 years... over $2 million per year... so assuming that same growth rate going forward isn't unreasonable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad