Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: FA Courting Period, I Wanna Court You Baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Not really.

I would think Connor would be more concerned about what his teammates think of him

His teammates are apart of the PA!

Again, the premise that the PA wants him to take more is wrong. But in the case of some other issue, McDavid would most certainly care what the PA thinks.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Larsson is signed for 4 more years and Klefbom is signed for 6 more. Those are looking fantastic right now.

With Nurse/Benning up this season and unlikely to be off the 3rd pairing for an elongated period of time (till sekera is back) we may see them on cheaper bridge deals or very reasonable long term deals. Which would make our D even more of a bargain if there is good development.

How Swede it is.

If those other two develop on track over the next 2-3 years on a bridge deal, we're going to be very lucky with our top 6 overall in this window.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Strome doesn't slot in to play center if we pick up Jumbo.

Maroon-McDavid-Caggiula
Lucic-Draisaitl-Strome
Pouliot-Thornton-RNH
Slepyshev-Letestu-Kassian
Khaira

Caggiula put up 18 points last season I think he needs a little more than a decent playoffs before we slot him top line. He has also said he prefers LW and sees himself there.

Strome according what I have read from Isles fans plays best at center even though his F/O % is not the best. He also apparently excels against soft competition.

Also I think Jumbo could use more of a shooter on his wing which is why I lean towards Draisaitl to play RW with him.

I then had the choice of RNH to 3c or Strome to 3C both are not great on the dot. So then it becomes who do I think has the most offensive skill to augment a line. I tend think if RNH gets some confidence back we could see a reversion to closer to rookie levels where he oozes skill and can complement McDavid.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nurse should be pushed out of the picture. That pairing was the #1 reason we lost to Anaheim. Absolutely brutal.

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Hamonic
Russell-Benning
Gryba

Is probably a good enough defence to win a cup.

Especially if you trade Nurse for a young forward to help fill out up front.

We could argue that both ways but the fact is now you've got a $4m defenseman on your bottom pairing now in this instance. It's poor cap management. At some point your young guys need to contribute. You can't fill every last roster spot with long term contracts.

In regards to Hamonic, I would not be shocked if he was never even in on him this summer.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
We could argue that both ways but the fact is now you've got a $4m defenseman on your bottom pairing now in this instance. It's poor cap management. At some point your young guys need to contribute. You can't fill every last roster spot with long term contracts.

In regards to Hamonic, I would not be shocked if he was never even in on him this summer.

Yeah I feel that once we got Larsson, we were completely out of the Hamonic talks.

The ask for him was always really high. Thank god we got Larsson instead.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
How Swede it is.

If those other two develop on track over the next 2-3 years on a bridge deal, we're going to be very lucky with our top 6 overall in this window.

True I hope we see just enough progression that we can lock them up to a 6 year ish deal at the 3.5-3.9 range in a Hamonic type model. That may be wishful thinking and sort of long term view biased towards hoping they do not prove a level of play that would warrant a more expensive extension (although they are unlikely to be given that level of opportunity).

Our D could be set for a long time except the Sekera/Russell pairing will eventually become our 3rd and hopfully we get an upgrade on them.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
It sounds like Stone is looking for $4.5M which he might get given the lack of defencemen available. If so, that's a little more than I'd be comfortable giving him. I wonder if the Oilers would look at Del Zotto - he can produce a little offensively, and his game seems to have picked up a bit since leaving New York. Can he play the right side? If so, this is a decent core to go with until Sekera gets back.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Del Zotto
Russell-Benning
Gryba

As for forwards, I just really hope we don't fork out crazy money for Boyle. Faceoffs are an issue, but they can be addressed far more cheaply. I'd rather give a guy like Marleau a one year deal to help ensure we have depth if guys like Caggiula and Slepyshev don't show improvement this year.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Just curious, who are what would you trade him for?

Depends, but I strongly believe we need a dman who can play 23-30 minutes a night. That would be my #1 priority in any deal. So for Nurse I see him being packaged with something to complete a deal. If it was just for a forward I'd look at trading him for a good 2/3rd line tweener whos young and growing. Really like the way Christian Dvorak plays the game and think he'd be a great add.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Because we could actually try and win a cup next season. Instead were sitting on our hands screwing up Mcdavids last year on his ELC. Can anyone honestly say at this point this team is stronger then last years team?

Do you honestly want to get into revisionist history where we could of landed Hamonic?

Since we did not. Who else is available that makes us a significantly better team?
If we are trading Nurse for said defensive fit then how does the cap work long term? Since Nurse should not be up for too substantial a raise and may become a great Hamonic type D in his own right.

Pools Closed*

Dec 1, 2010
With our 7 dmen set what significant upgrades can we even make at this point? It's looking like we're going to go in to next season with a worse team and it's highly unlikely we get the same luck with injuries as we did last year. Tons of dmen were/are available and Chia just sat on his hands.

This season is McDavid's last ELC year and we aren't even going to try and win the cup? I seriously don't understand what Chiarelli is doing this summer. Unbelievable.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Caggiula put up 18 points last season I think he needs a little more than a decent playoffs before we slot him top line. He has also said he prefers LW and sees himself there.

Strome according what I have read from Isles fans plays best at center even though his F/O % is not the best. He also apparently excels against soft competition.

Also I think Jumbo could use more of a shooter on his wing which is why I lean towards Draisaitl to play RW with him.

I then had the choice of RNH to 3c or Strome to 3C both are not great on the dot. So then it becomes who do I think has the most offensive skill to augment a line. I tend think if RNH gets some confidence back we could see a reversion to closer to rookie levels where he oozes skill and can complement McDavid.

Decent points.

I liked what I saw from Caggiula/McDavid down the stretch and really want speed to be a double-edged sword on that line. He's certainly no lock for top 6 time.

As lethal and exciting as it would be to see Jumbo and Drai play together... if the list is Connor, Leon, Nuge, Jumbo, Strome, Letestu I find it difficult to slot in Strome at the center position anywhere ahead of the guys listed.

I do want to see RNH on McDavid's wing though. I think that experiment is long overdue. Nuge needs to get his jam back a bit, and those two would flourish.

Maroon-McD-Nuge
Lucic-Drai-Strome
Pouliot-Thornton-Caggiula
Slepyshev-Letestu-Kassian

And then the PP is where we just get unfair.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Do you honestly want to get into revisionist history where we could of landed Hamonic?

Since we did not. Who else is available that makes us a significantly better team?
If we are trading Nurse for said defensive fit then how does the cap work long term? Since Nurse should not be up for too substantial a raise and may become a great Hamonic type D in his own right.

How am I supposed to know who's available? And if Mcdavid is making 13M we have to move Draisaitl to be able to afford a #1 dman we need to win a cup. My #1 priority would be Hedman but don't see him getting moved, more realistically is Pietrangelo who could potentially be available in St. Louis.

If Chia lands a true #1 dman I don't think I'll ever say another bad thing about him. The fact he hasn't been able to yet is really holding the team back. Larsson was a great start, but he's more of a solid #2 then a true #1.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
True I hope we see just enough progression that we can lock them up to a 6 year ish deal at the 3.5-3.9 range in a Hamonic type model. That may be wishful thinking and sort of long term view biased towards hoping they do not prove a level of play that would warrant a more expensive extension (although they are unlikely to be given that level of opportunity).

Our D could be set for a long time except the Sekera/Russell pairing will eventually become our 3rd and hopfully we get an upgrade on them.

I see Russell's contract on the outs in 2 years if he shows any signs of decline over that span. But that top 6, with Sekera in there, is certainly competitive.

My dream/fantasy is a crack at OEL or Doughty in 2 years if both Arizona and LA spiral down.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
With our 7 dmen set what significant upgrades can we even make at this point? It's looking like we're going to go in to next season with a worse team and it's highly unlikely we get the same luck with injuries as we did last year. Tons of dmen were/are available and Chia just sat on his hands.

This season is McDavid's last ELC year and we aren't even going to try and win the cup? I seriously don't understand what Chiarelli is doing this summer. Unbelievable.

Yup exactly!

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I like the idea of Thornton a whole lot more than adding Marleau. The verbal on Marleau coming from the Sharks board leading into the playoffs wasn't good, and the overall sense seemed to be that he was an absolute anchor on every line they put him on last year. He's also a LW, which is pretty much the only position that we have any depth in. Whereas Thornton allows us to still have great depth at C while simultaneously solving the issue of depth on RW too. It also gives us the big center that we miss out on by playing Draisaitl on the wing.

Maroon - McDavid - Draisaitl
Lucic - Thornton - Strome
Caggiula - Nuge - Puljujarvi
Pouliot - Letestu - Kassian

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
UFA/Trade - Benning
Gryba

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

In all honesty I probably wouldn't have signed Russell, and looked at someone I could sign cheap on a 1 year deal. A guy like Ron Hainsey or Matt Hunwick.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
How am I supposed to know who's available? And if Mcdavid is making 13M we have to move Draisaitl to be able to afford a #1 dman we need to win a cup. My #1 priority would be Hedman but don't see him getting moved, more realistically is Pietrangelo who could potentially be available in St. Louis.

If Chia lands a true #1 dman I don't think I'll ever say another bad thing about him. The fact he hasn't been able to yet is really holding the team back. Larsson was a great start, but he's more of a solid #2 then a true #1.

How many #1 dmen are there in the league? 10? 15?

If you're disappointed in not landing one of the top 15 best dmen in the league you're going to be disappointed for a long time

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
Well to be fair, the cost of Larsson was much higher. If I had a choice to trade a weak 1st, and a couple seconds over Taylor Hall. I would choose the former.

Right, but I was speaking under the assumption that last year NYI turned down Hall for Hamonic.

Not sure if that is true but that is certainly the rumour thats been going around here for the last year.

Thomas Tatar

Right, but I was speaking under the assumption that last year NYI turned down Hall for Hamonic.

Not sure if that is true but that is certainly the rumour thats been going around here for the last year.

Yeah, true. I don't buy it however. I think Snow is a bad GM, but he is not that bad, especially when his player asked to be traded closer to home. If Taylor Hall was the offer and Snow rejected it, then Snow should have stepped down awhile ago.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
How many #1 dmen are there in the league? 10? 15?

If you're disappointed in not landing one of the top 15 best dmen in the league you're going to be disappointed for a long time

Theres probably 30 guys I would want. And if we want to win a cup it NEEDS to happen.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
Depends, but I strongly believe we need a dman who can play 23-30 minutes a night. That would be my #1 priority in any deal. So for Nurse I see him being packaged with something to complete a deal. If it was just for a forward I'd look at trading him for a good 2/3rd line tweener whos young and growing. Really like the way Christian Dvorak plays the game and think he'd be a great add.

Thats a tall order. Especially anywhere close to 30 a night. Very very few Dman actually play that much.

I do hear you though, a top pair minute munching dman is what every team needs more of. IF someone offered that for Nurse ++ you would have to jump all over that.

As far as Dvorak is concerned, I don't mind him at all. I just checked and he actually had a hell of a rookie season. Do you know if he played mostly C or wing?

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
Yeah, true. I don't buy it however. I think Snow is a bad GM, but he is not that bad, especially when his player asked to be traded closer to home. If Taylor Hall was the offer and Snow rejected it, then Snow should have stepped down awhile ago.

Yeah I'm not sure if I believe it either. Luckily though, we got Larsson instead who is younger and better and signed for 1 year longer so I'm happy the way it worked out.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Thats a tall order. Especially anywhere close to 30 a night. Very very few Dman actually play that much.

I do hear you though, a top pair minute munching dman is what every team needs more of. IF someone offered that for Nurse ++ you would have to jump all over that.

As far as Dvorak is concerned, I don't mind him at all. I just checked and he actually had a hell of a rookie season. Do you know if he played mostly C or wing?

I believe he played mostly center, but only saw a few games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad