Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Defense Set, or Another Addition In the Works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What I'm taking away from all of this is that you think anyone that plays with McDrai should be paid less than what their production would indicate,because that production is due to playing with the elitist of the elite?

I'm just stating a fact, his 70 point production is entirely a product of playing with the best players in the game so I think he should get paid as a player who scores at that level alongside the best offensive talent in the league but a player who was also routinely a 50-55 point player away from the best talent in the league. As I said before, a 70+ point complimentary winger/50+ point #2 center. That's what he is.

Actually, I just thought of another example and it's his closest comparable. Brayden Schenn scored 70 once without the benefit of Hart winners but I digress. It's not routinely but it's one more time than RNH.

Anyway, we agree that 7 is fair for RNH so lets just agree to disagree on the other stuff.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
The players who were in high demand still got paid accordingly. And a year from now with a full season behind us, vaccinations widely available, Seattle entering the league and a new TV deal on the horizon... Things won't be as bleak as year one. A big reason why you saw a number of shorter deals is due to the fact that those players didn't want to leave money on the table.

Show me an example of a high-end player who took a significant pay cut to stay in their current situation.
Tyson Barrie took a good 2 million off of what he should be making. COL offered him a lot and Vancouver. He still would have made probably a million less with those teams than he could command. That is what he is banking on here. Play well and get paid close to 6 million or so.

Reactions: NoSavesFromKosko

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I'm just stating a fact, his 70 point production is entirely a product of playing with the best players in the game so I think he should get paid as a player who scores at that level alongside the best offensive talent in the league but a player who was also routinely a 50-55 point player away from the best talent in the league. As I said before, a 70+ point complimentary winger/50+ point #2 center. That's what he is.

Actually, I just thought of another example and it's his closest comparable. Brayden Schenn scored 70 once without the benefit of Hart winners but I digress. It's not routinely but it's one more time than RNH.

Anyway, we agree that 7 is fair for RNH so lets just agree to disagree on the other stuff.
I think 7 is puke worthy for RNH. I hope Holland gets that down to 6.5 at most in a pandemic. 7 is absolutely Ludacris for RNH in a flat cap

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Sign Slater Koekoek for 700k

Nuge - McDavid - Kassian
Kahun - Draisailt - Yamamoto
Ennis - Turris - Puljujarvi
Neal - Khaira - Archibald

Nurse - Bear
Jones - Larsson
Koekoek - Barrie

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Aye, and who were his most common linemates? Nobody near first line calibre on a regular basis. Eberle was the only one you could call top line material and even he has only broken 60 points twice in his whole career. Milan Lucic was the the next most common linemate and we all know how that story went.

I just don't understand how we can acknowledge someone like Taylor Hall, who has broken 60 points twice in his entire career while always playing with the best players on his team as elite, while at the same time knocking RNH who broke 60 points twice while playing with the best.players on his team but generally with less talented players, as some inferior player.

Lots of guys in the NHL have put up 50+ points while playing on the second line without 1st line line mates.
Which puts RNH as kind of an above average of the road NHL forward. I'd be fine with $7.

If he gets $8 he'd be paid like a top 15 NHL center which I don't think he is.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

This is where you lose me. Most of the best players on teams are generally 50-60 point players when they aren't playing with the next best on their team. Taylor Hall is a great example of this given he's usually referred to as a top tier winger but has averaged only about 60 points a season, even though he only ever plays with the next best available, unlike RNH up until last year. When most get paired up with those guys, that's when they start producing more into the 70+ point range. The fact that RNH has McDrai on the team doesn't change all of that for me. He's still going from solid production with lesser teammates to first line production with elite teammates, like every other player in the league (with the exception of the very, very best). I get what you mean about McDrai being special, but it just doesn't change the line of reasoning for me. Elite is still elite no matter how you slice it.

I will definitely agree to disagree, but do appreciate the civil discussion.

Reactions: nabob

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Lots of guys in the NHL have put up 50+ points while playing on the second line without 1st line line mates.
Which puts RNH as kind of an above average of the road NHL forward. I'd be fine with $7.

If he gets $8 he'd be paid like a top 15 NHL center which I don't think he is.
I know they do. What makes the 70+ point guys different is that they usually only play with the best their team has to offer, so I don't ever think it's fair to say "yeah but he only does it because of his linemates" because I don't think anyone would ever routinely post 70+ without being given that opportunity. Maybe I'm just on glue though.

Reactions: ujju2 and nabob

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I know they do. What makes the 70+ point guys different is that they usually only play with the best their team has to offer, so I don't ever think it's fair to say "yeah but he only does it because of his linemates" because I don't think anyone would ever routinely post 70+ without being given that opportunity. Maybe I'm just on glue though.
I couldn’t find if you mentioned it.. what’s your idea for a fair amount then? 8?

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
You aren't expecting playoffs? You know this team was *easily* in the playoffs last year right? Also that they improved in the off-season and are in a 7 team division where 4 of the teams make the playoffs. Barring major injuries, this is a playoff team.

I've watched this team long enough to realize that playoffs are not a sure thing :laugh:
We've only been to the playoffs once in 2016-2017 with McDavid and the year after we soiled the bed. This past year we were eliminated from qualifying for the playoffs by a 12th place team, and quite easily mind you.
Klefbom is out for the season and our goaltending is questionable. Are we going to be last in the division? Definitely not. But as an Oilers fan, I don't see the playoffs as a sure thing, considering we've only made the playoffs once since f***ing 2006 lol

Reactions: Anarchism

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I've watched this team long enough to realize that playoffs are not a sure thing :laugh:
We've only been to the playoffs once in 2016-2017 with McDavid and the year after we soiled the bed. This past year we were eliminated from qualifying for the playoffs by a 12th place team, and quite easily mind you.
Klefbom is out for the season and our goaltending is questionable. Are we going to be last in the division? Definitely not. But as an Oilers fan, I don't see the playoffs as a sure thing, considering we've only made the playoffs once since f***ing 2006 lol
I don't think playoffs are a sure thing with an only Canadian division. Mike Smith will have to play. Schedule is condensed. That is a negative right there. We don't dominate Canadian teams in general. VAN/CGY/TO are toss ups. Ottawa kicked out a** last year. Winnipeg destroyed us in possession when we played them the last 2 times. We play well against MTL.

They are not a guarantee at all for me unless e improve 5 on 5

Reactions: FanofBadHockeyTeam

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I don't think playoffs are a sure thing with an only Canadian division. Mike Smith will have to play. Schedule is condensed. That is a negative right there. We don't dominate Canadian teams in general. VAN/CGY/TO are toss ups. Ottawa kicked out a** last year. Winnipeg destroyed us in possession when we played them the last 2 times. We play well against MTL.

They are not a guarantee at all for me unless e improve 5 on 5

Pretty much the same thoughts here.
In my opinion, Toronto and Vancouver will have 1 and 2 locked up and we will be battling for the 3 and 4 slots in the Canadian division with Calgary, Montreal, and Winnipeg. I don't really see Ottawa as a factor but the season will be condensed so you never know.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I should add that I don’t think we find a better complimentary player for McDavid then nuge at 7 million. So I guess I don’t even really know what I’m arguing.
Lol. I certainly agree with this which is probably why I started arguing to begin with. Plus with the flexibility of Nuge being able to center a line we don't need to pay a winger close to that who can't move over a spot. Part of the reason I'd be willing to pay him more than some is because he can also play center while still posting good numbers on the wing in a scoring role.

Imagine if Hall, or Guentzel or Boeser, or Perron could also play Center?

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yeah I’m not sure how people can fault RNH for not being a 70+ point player while dragging the likes of Cagullia, Khaira, Puljujarvi and others around the ice when he isn’t paired with one of McDavid or Drai. Our previous lack of forward depth was disturbing and RNH was the most effected by it.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Tyson Barrie took a good 2 million off of what he should be making. COL offered him a lot and Vancouver. He still would have made probably a million less with those teams than he could command. That is what he is banking on here. Play well and get paid close to 6 million or so.
He also fell into the category of a player coming off of a down year and also was a player who put off signing a long-term deal because he would've likely left a significant amount of money on the table.

There is a 0% chance that happens in RNH's case. Especially if you see him re-signing.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Pretty much the same thoughts here.
In my opinion, Toronto and Vancouver will have 1 and 2 locked up and we will be battling for the 3 and 4 slots in the Canadian division with Calgary, Montreal, and Winnipeg. I don't really see Ottawa as a factor but the season will be condensed so you never know.
I would say the Canucks are behind the leafs, Oilers and flames.

Can’t write off any team though. This division is going to be a dog fight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samus44

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
“Technically” the Oilers made the playoffs last year. Sure it was a “play-in” but when I look at the leading scorers I see McDavid at #52 with 9 points in 4 games.

I don’t care what anyone says, I’m f***ing counting it...haha.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Monahan isn't McDavid or Draisaitl, neither is Gaudreau.
RNH broke the barrier twice in his career. He never broke 56 points before two seasons ago.
Those guys broke that number without playing with elite talent at least once.

They also aren't Jujar Kharia, Milan Lucic, Ty Rattie, Alex Chiasson, James Neal, Jesse Puljujarvi....

Reactions: ujju2

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
“Technically” the Oilers made the playoffs last year. Sure it was a “play-in” but when I look at the leading scorers I see McDavid at #52 with 9 points in 4 games.

I don’t care what anyone says, I’m f***ing counting it...haha.

Lol that's fair :laugh:
I'd like to count it as well. Half the battle for us is making the playoffs. Once we get in, McDavid is Godly and can pretty much win a game or 2 by himself if the rest of the team is at least average

Reactions: Faelko

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Ah, the old injury vacation ploy. If he's out for any length of time and the insurance company has to foot the bill I'd be curious if the insurance company would want to get a second opinion from a 3rd party doctor.

Well turns out Kucherov does need surgery and will be out for the year. Makes things easier for Brisebois cap-wise but not good for the Bolts to lose their best forward for the year.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

When the season was stopped we were sitting at something like a 98.5% chance to make the playoffs. We had 1 more point then Dallas but because they played 1 less game they got the bye into the 16 team playoffs. The playin round was part of the playoffs and all stats in that round counted towards the playoffs. We were also not eliminated pretty easily by Chicago. After the 1st period of game 1 to the final period of game 4 we outshot, outchanced and outscored them but due to poor goaltending and own goals they got past us. I agree that the playoffs arent a guarantee but they're not a guarantee for any team in our division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad