Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Deadline Edition, Trade Deadline 4/12 3PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
We are, for sure, going to buyout Neal this offseason. I've almost never been more confident about something happening in hockey before, lol. The only way it doesn't happen is if Katz's fortune has been really decimated by COVID outcomes or something.

That would be really dumb and leave the Oil with 5% of their cap space completely gone on nothing for at least the next two years.

Reactions: Aerchon

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
How would everyone rank these 4:

Hoffman
Rakell
Hall
Granlund

?

In a vacuum?

Hall
Hoffman
Rakell
Granlund

In terms of fit? (so cap hit, and likely role)

Granlund
Rakell
Hall
Hoffman

Of that group I think Granlund is the only LHS who isn't going to b***h about not getting prime minutes (especially on the PP), his salary isn't too high, and he'd be an obvious fit on the wing opposite Puljujarvi.

Rakell would instantly become the best RHS on the team. However a bit like the next two, I'm not sure how well he would do in a secondary offensive role, and I don't see Tippett being quick to break up the Nuge-McDavid-Draisaitl PP combo (If you're going after an ANA forward, I'd prefer Silfverberg, who still brings quality defensive play even if he's not scoring)

I think both Hall and Hoffman quasi-fall into the same that trap AA did last year. They're both guys that need primo-offensive minutes to be successful, and I can see both getting frustrated if they're not on the top PP. Basically they're both guys who are beyond useless if they're not scoring (because they're going to start sulking), and this team isn't going to go out of its way to put them in situations to succeed.

Imo the team's skill players are mostly fine. The big need is for a grinder that can succeed in the top 6. This team needs someone more in the Hyman, Boon Jenner, prime-GlenX type mould vs. another skilled perimeter player. Going off TSN's list, the only names that catch my eye as good fits up front are...

Foligno
Tierney

There's not a lot of defensive centres available whom I see as a clear upgrade on Haas and Khaira (and all come with large cap hits, which is money that could be allocated better elsewhere). Plus at this point, I'd rather give McLeod and Benson a well-earned shot. It's the defence where I'd rather spend money and assets on.

Reactions: Aerchon

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
That would be really dumb and leave the Oil with 5% of their cap space completely gone on nothing for at least the next two years.

As opposed to keeping James Neal and having 9% of the cap space completely gone for nothing?

The entire point of the Lucic for Neal trade, beyond the hope that Neal could still play, is the cheaper buyout. They could get a lot more out of that 3.9M next year than James Neal.

Reactions: Faelko

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I’d do this deal for Rakell....

To ANH: 1st 2021, 3rd 2022, Samorukov, Chiasson, Turris

To EDM: Rakell

Added the 3rd as a sweetener for taking Turris’ extra year

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
So its Monday morning and the other options are off the board and
Anahiem comes back to you...

Your 1st
Lavoie
Neal (1 mil retained).

What u gonna do?

Maybe push them to take on Neal's salary in full, but even as is, that trade would be a hard yes. (and as I said above, I'm lukewarm on Rakell)

I like Lavoie, and adding a first to him is a steep price for a guy that's fallen off a bit, but clearing Neal's salary is massive.

Rakell-McDavid-Puljujarvi
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Shore/Ennis-Khaira-Archi
Shore/Ennis-Haas-Kassian

Even if/when you lose Rakell in a year, you should have Pulju and Yams ready to absorb some of his production as a RHS, and Holloway ready to take his spot on the roster.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

You can’t include previous buy outs . What you need to consider is if we buy out Neal we gain 3.833 million in cap but have a penalty of 1.9 million for 4 years . So can we get a better player for 3.833 million for 4 years ? We are still in a flat cap so there we be deals but do those players sign for 4 years or do they take a 1 or 2 year deals . I think we are better off retaining 50% on Neal . Gives us 2.875 in cap but only for 2 years .

Reactions: JBear
Feb 9, 2013
Maybe push them to take on Neal's salary in full, but even as is, that trade would be a hard yes. (and as I said above, I'm lukewarm on Rakell)

I like Lavoie, and adding a first to him is a steep price for a guy that's fallen off a bit, but clearing Neal's salary is massive.

Rakell-McDavid-Puljujarvi
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Shore/Ennis-Khaira-Archi
Shore/Ennis-Haas-Kassian

Even if/when you lose Rakell in a year, you should have Pulju and Yams ready to absorb some of his production as a RHS, and Holloway ready to take his spot on the roster.

Where did Kahun go?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Buyouts are extremely poor asset/cap management. A bad idea at best and terribull in a flat cap world. We are losing out on a solid player already due to cap mismanagement no reason to compound those mistakes.

Retention is bad as well but better. Dealing with teams struggling to reach the floor or in full rebuilds better. Burying players in the minors better. Plus Holland will have an opportunity to deal with an expansion draft as well.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I would imagine at this point there are three or four offers on Hall ....probably with at least a couple of those better than our offer. If your K. Adams, sunday night ur going to Hall and laying out a couple of possibilities....Will you go to Boston? etc...
Will Hall chose the money or the best team for this years playoffs and not sign and go UFA?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
You can’t include previous buy outs . What you need to consider is if we buy out Neal we gain 3.833 million in cap but have a penalty of 1.9 million for 4 years . So can we get a better player for 3.833 million for 4 years ? We are still in a flat cap so there we be deals but do those players sign for 4 years or do they take a 1 or 2 year deals . I think we are better off retaining 50% on Neal . Gives us 2.875 in cap but only for 2 years .

You gain $4M for two years, but then lose $2M for the two years after that, so retaining is definitely more ideal.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
As opposed to keeping James Neal and having 9% of the cap space completely gone for nothing?

The entire point of the Lucic for Neal trade, beyond the hope that Neal could still play, is the cheaper buyout. They could get a lot more out of that 3.9M next year than James Neal.

You think that was the entire point of the trade.

You can't include previous ones? Decisions are hopefully not made in a vacuum. Soon you could end up with four, five, six million in dead cap space. What savings!

Not sure how $1.9M is 5% of $81.5M.

They are already in for 2.25 million dead cap space for the next two years. Then add Neals'.

Holland has stated there will be no more buyouts. I'm hoping he is being honest. ;)

Edmonton Oilers won't buy out James Neal, not this year at least | Edmonton Journal

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Getting 3.9M through the frozen cap era and paying a price on the other side that will probably just be equal to the cap increase, has to be extremely attractive with the premium on cap space right now.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
In a vacuum?

Hall
Hoffman
Rakell
Granlund

In terms of fit? (so cap hit, and likely role)

Granlund
Rakell
Hall
Hoffman

Of that group I think Granlund is the only LHS who isn't going to b***h about not getting prime minutes (especially on the PP), his salary isn't too high, and he'd be an obvious fit on the wing opposite Puljujarvi.

Rakell would instantly become the best RHS on the team. However a bit like the next two, I'm not sure how well he would do in a secondary offensive role, and I don't see Tippett being quick to break up the Nuge-McDavid-Draisaitl PP combo (If you're going after an ANA forward, I'd prefer Silfverberg, who still brings quality defensive play even if he's not scoring)

I think both Hall and Hoffman quasi-fall into the same that trap AA did last year. They're both guys that need primo-offensive minutes to be successful, and I can see both getting frustrated if they're not on the top PP. Basically they're both guys who are beyond useless if they're not scoring (because they're going to start sulking), and this team isn't going to go out of its way to put them in situations to succeed.

Imo the team's skill players are mostly fine. The big need is for a grinder that can succeed in the top 6. This team needs someone more in the Hyman, Boon Jenner, prime-GlenX type mould vs. another skilled perimeter player. Going off TSN's list, the only names that catch my eye as good fits up front are...

Foligno
Tierney

There's not a lot of defensive centres available whom I see as a clear upgrade on Haas and Khaira (and all come with large cap hits, which is money that could be allocated better elsewhere). Plus at this point, I'd rather give McLeod and Benson a well-earned shot. It's the defence where I'd rather spend money and assets on.
For what it’s worth Rakell isnt a slouch defensively... silf has looked ugly this year..... no way oilers want anything to do with him. I think Rakell is an amazing fit for oilers... and would look good w/ Mcdavid or draisitl. I was reading a report on Rakell from a Boston writer and before his injury Rakell was top 20 in shots, and top 5 in scoring chances which is pretty damn impressive considering this offense , he’s been unlucky/ has no offense support on this Anaheim roster... but no doubt he’d light it up in Edmonton.

I’d love to send Rakell + heinen/hakanpaa/Hutton to oilers, and take some cap to make it work... I want oilers to come out of north division

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
He is just 31 years old. How could his career downfall so quick?? Bad training habits?

Is Nuge on the same route?
I don't think he has been that good ever, quality complimentary piece at best. In Ottawa he had prime Erik Karlsson and Mark Stone as a linemate. Hockey is getting faster every year, some "older" guys just can't keep up.

I think that Nuge can keep up better with this faster hockey than Turris. And I am in the camp that definitely would like to see him resigned. Of course not at any price, but this team lacks quality NHL players and Nuge is definitely one of them. Getting rid of him hurts this team. It wouldn't be easy to find better player without spending lots of valuable assets.

Reactions: ujju2

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
For what it’s worth Rakell isnt a slouch defensively... silf has looked ugly this year..... no way oilers want anything to do with him. I think Rakell is an amazing fit for oilers... and would look good w/ Mcdavid or draisitl. I was reading a report on Rakell from a Boston writer and before his injury Rakell was top 20 in shots, and top 5 in scoring chances which is pretty damn impressive considering this offense , he’s been unlucky/ has no offense support on this Anaheim roster... but no doubt he’d light it up in Edmonton.

I’d love to send Rakell + heinen/hakanpaa/Hutton to oilers, and take some cap to make it work... I want oilers to come out of north division
1st + Lavoie +?

Reactions: bone

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Well we don’t know for sure if he’ll be sent to Bakersfield. And if he is, and doesn’t want to go, something tells me Holland wouldn’t exactly be a hardass about it in a time like this.

Turris is already signed for next season. After his play this year, he’s going to throw that away to try to get the same contract from someone else?

It doesn’t seem to make sense from Turris’ end at all.
Holland needing capspace could certainly be hardass about it if he is good at his job.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Edmonton Oilers Salary Cap, Cap Hit, Edmonton Oilers Contracts | Puckpedia

Current Cap Space Oilers: $2,303,334

"Amount of Annual Cap Hit that can be added to the roster without exceeding the Upper Limit (Salary Cap Maximum) based on the current roster. For teams using LTIR, Current Cap Space is the amount of annual cap hit that can be added without exceeding the Salary Cap by more than the team's LTIR Pool."

Learn More Or Ask A Question

So I take it we are moving Smith's bonuses to next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad