Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Deadline Edition, Trade Deadline 4/12 3PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Let's see what Holland has up his sleeves.

The OP will be at the top of every page, so if any legit rumors pop up they can be added by myself or another Mod to the OP and will be listed on the top of every page of this thread.

Reactions: ujju2

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's absurd that people think the Sabres are going to do the Oilers the favor of gifting Hall at 50% retained to take on Neal+1st. This isn't a video game.

The reality is that it would take the 1st at minimum just to rid of Neal but what are you giving them for Hall?

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
It's absurd that people think the Sabres are going to do the Oilers the favor of gifting Hall at 50% retained to take on Neal+1st. This isn't a video game.

The reality is that it would take the 1st at minimum just to rid of Neal but what are you giving them for Hall?
Magic beans, those could be almost anything, maybe even more magic beans!

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Would love to see Holland give us an upgrade going into the post season, but I just don't think he's going to do anything this week due to lack of cap space and lack of quality assets to trade. I don't think it's wise to move our first. If Neal is done for the season, can his remaining cap space be used?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I think the only way that moving a first makes sense, is if it fills a need for at least this season plus next, while also freeing the cap space to make it happen. That's a solid top 6 LW, an elite 3C, or a young starting goalie for the future.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Would love to see Holland give us an upgrade going into the post season, but I just don't think he's going to do anything this week due to lack of cap space and lack of quality assets to trade. I don't think it's wise to move our first. If Neal is done for the season, can his remaining cap space be used?

What is up with Neal? Is it an injury or suffering from lingering effects from Covid?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

But somehow it'll be because he's a bad GM for not making that deal happen :laugh:

Would be like someone offering Ladd + 1st for RNH. Wonder what the reaction would be to that.

Reactions: TB12

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
But somehow it'll be because he's a bad GM for not making that deal happen :laugh:

Would be like someone offering Ladd + 1st for RNH. Wonder what the reaction would be to that.
Not really, that would someone offering Ladd and 1st for Hall if Hall had a NMC and it was the middle of the decade of darkness.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Not really, that would someone offering Ladd and 1st for Hall if Hall had a NMC and it was the middle of the decade of darkness.
Also Buffalo signed Hall for free and knowing he was getting traded at the deadline if Buffalo misses the playoffs. So a 1st for taking back Neal is literally free asset for a rebuilding team. That's also a team that has Skinner for 6 more years at 9M. So taking Neal back is hardly the end of the world

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I was just thinking, if we did retain some portion of contract on Neal, and the team involved in the trade were intent on buying out Neal in the off-season, we could bear some of the burden in that buyout. We save cap space this year, and in the future, but still would pay a fraction of Neal's salary this season and for the next 4 years. If the cap retained for the remainder of this season was negligible... and say 500 k for the next 4 years, all of a sudden Neal isn't that immovable.

Even if this isn't a likely scenario there are still many things that could be accomplished if Holland and company got off their asses and got to work.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I was just thinking, if we did retain some portion of contract on Neal, and the team involved in the trade were intent on buying out Neal in the off-season, we could bear some of the burden in that buyout. We save cap space this year, and in the future, but still would pay a fraction of Neal's salary this season and for the next 4 years. If the cap retained for the remainder of this season was negligible... and say 500 k for the next 4 years, all of a sudden Neal isn't that immovable.

Even if this isn't a likely scenario there are still many things that could be accomplished if Holland and company got off their asses and got to work.

Still some teams are not going to want that dead cap space.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Still some teams are not going to want that dead cap space.
Obviously we aren't trading Neal for an asset that would help us... we would be trading Neal (with salary retained), a pick and a good young player or two for a player or players that would help us immediately.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Obviously we aren't trading Neal for an asset that would help us... we would be trading Neal (with salary retained), a pick and a good young player or two for something that would help us immediately.

We’re not a contender yet so if we’re giving up all those assets now does it make sense?

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
We’re not a contender yet so if we’re giving up all those assets now does it make sense?

I agree that it only makes sense to make a deal if the player they are dealing for is willing to sign for at least a few years. I think Hall makes sense in that regard, maybe I guy like Hoffman would be willing as well. But I think Holland needs to add something, because this team is a hot 12 games from McDavid and Drai (or Smith) away from competing for a Cup. Give them a chance. He did it last year, I think they should do it again.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

If there was a magic deal that involved Neal out and Hall in and it just cost us picks &/or B Prospects, it would 100% be worth it, because for this team the cap space opened up during this frozen salary cap era would be substantially more relevant to building a contending team than picks. We are turning the corner, Holloway is a big piece of the future, but we can’t afford to hold crapshoot assets in this uncertain draft if theres an option to free up cap space and add a top 6 scorer. Time to balance the accounts. Of course the likelihood of this being available seems slim, unless perchance Buffalo demands a 1st for Hall and we’re the only one offering it.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
You could try

Hall-McDavid-Puljujarvi
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto

and re-balance the D pairings.

The team as it stands, the way it's being coached, is not beating Toronto or Montreal in a playoff series.

I still think Holland has a lot to prove. It felt like he was saved from himself on OEL not wanting to come here based on some of the asking price rumors. Looking at Markstrom so far this year, although I still have hope for him, that contract might also have been another time Holland was saved.

I haven't been a fan of a lot of the moves - some have worked out. But ultimately he is in a drivers seat during McDavid and Draisaitl's prime, and I need to see Ken pull off some major upgrades. We should be contenders.

Reactions: barry halls

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
It makes sense for McDavid and Draisaitl not wasting another year of their careers. Because we aren't going far in the playoffs if the team stands as it currently does.

It makes sense for Nurse deciding if he wants to re-up or move on as fast as possible from this shit show of a merry go round where the scenery never changes.

It makes sense for any UFA that might want to sign with us in the off-season if we are a team that likes to contend rather than a team that enjoys the shit show viewed from the merry go round year after year.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Whether we are contenders this year or not, the McDrai window is 5 years before we have to retool. We need to make trades for us to become contenders. Can't wait for internal growth to take us to the next level.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
It makes sense for McDavid and Draisaitl not wasting another year of their careers. Because we aren't going far in the playoffs if the team stands as it currently does.

It makes sense for Nurse deciding if he wants to re-up or move on as fast as possible from this shit show of a merry go round where the scenery never changes.

It makes sense for any UFA that might want to sign with us in the off-season if we are a team that likes to contend rather than a team that enjoys the shit show viewed from the merry go round year after year.

A) the Oilers have been making progress since Holland.
B) I dont think Nurse is in any hurry to say bye to McDrai (yes it rhymes)

Reactions: North

North

Jun 25, 2009

It only makes sense if the asset we receive back is going to be on the team for a few seasons.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
A) the Oilers have been making progress since Holland.
B) I dont think Nurse is in any hurry to say bye to McDrai (yes it rhymes)

This. Nurse will be paid a fair contract when it comes up. I'm glad we got 1 more year to see how Nurse does before that, but I cannot see Nurse leaving the team, especially when McDavid and Draisaitl are good buddies with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad