Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Deadline Edition, Trade Deadline 4/12 3PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Theres only a few games left down there anyway. If he decided to retire in the offseason, maybe, but I don’t think he’s done with hockey.

I think he's done with the NHL, it just won't be his choice. I can't see him getting another deal after this one, and the Oilers will 100% put him in the AHL for the cap savings next season.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Kassian, Turris were both Holland.

But yes, majority of damage was Chia.

Holland turned Lucic into Neal hopefully so we can buyout Neal rather than get stuck with Looch.

We are, for sure, going to buyout Neal this offseason. I've almost never been more confident about something happening in hockey before, lol. The only way it doesn't happen is if Katz's fortune has been really decimated by COVID outcomes or something.

Reactions: Paralyzer008

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
He is actually very consistent the past 3 years. His pro-rated points are 51, 52 and 50 for the last 3 years including this one. Hard to be more consistent than that. That is very respectable production for being a rather bad team for those 3 years. He plays 1st PP an 1st line minutes, but he likely would on the Oilers as well. He'd play with either 29 or 97 at ES, and then likely get at least some looks on the 1st line PP, and certainly on our 2nd PP, although they don't see much ice. He has NOT depended on the PP for his points though these past few years. Over those same 3 years, he got 70%, 79%, and 82% of his points at even strength or short handed.

He is a legit top-6 player, who plays a good 200 foot game. He's not a world beater or anything, but he's "plug and play" for the top-6 that we need. The other nice thing is that with his cap hit, we could very likely keep him and RNH (or similar $6 M replacement player) for next season within our cap. A top 6 comprised of McDavid, Drai, RNH (or replacement), Rakell, Pulj, Yams is pretty darn good. That is a top-6 to stack up against almost any team in the league really. Maybe Toronto, Tampa Bay and Colorado could compete with that top-6, but I can't think of another team off-hand, and those 3 are considered serious cup contenders.

If Holland can get Rakell for a 1st and decent prospect, he needs to do so.
I agree. At least mostly. My point was that there is more goal scoring upside in Rakell than what we have seen --its tailed off as his quality of center has fallen. A big part of the reason we are not a contender are some other key pieces missing not just a couple of top six wingers.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I agree. At least mostly. My point was that there is more goal scoring upside in Rakell than what we have seen --its tailed off as his quality of center has fallen. A big part of the reason we are not a contender are some other key pieces missing not just a couple of top six wingers.

Yeah, we are still hurting in the bottom 6 and need more defence out of our dmen, lol. But Rakell has a wicked shot, and would make our top-6 pretty dam impressive. More than that though, is that he has a very friendly cap hit for next year. If we don't resign him after, maybe its because Holloway or Lavoie is ready for top-6 duty by then. We likely have options in 2022-23. That is the year Nurse is going to need his rather large raise as well, so I could see us viewing a player with exactly 1 year left on his deal as fitting our cap structure almost perfectly. We likely try to insert some young forward talent that year to save some money.

Rakell is somebody I've had circled since last summer, and the fact that Anaheim is thinking about letting him go this year, rather than next, is music to my ears. Holland is an absolute FOOL if he gets hung up on the 1st round pick this year. The player won't help the team until Drai's contract is over, or in its last year. Even then, that player is likely not a difference maker at that point (21-22 years old), and is more than likely just trying to keep his head above water. Our window to win is the next 4 years, full stop, and Holland should be moving heaven and earth to make us a contender in the next 4 years. Getting a player like Rakell for 2 playoff runs for picks and prospects is exactly what Holland needs to be doing. Even more so when that player has an exceptionally favorable cap hit.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
When will Rickard Rakell be cleared to play is the question?

Rickard Rakell Leaves Ice After Scary No-Look Collision With Blues' Kyle Clifford Mar 28, 2021

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Rakell played 17 minutes and had 5 shots tonight. First game back since that collision.
That's good to hear. Anaheim only has one more game to showcase him before the 12th and that is against Colorado on the 11th. Maybe they sit him for precautionary reasons.

Edmonton has another break and the one week quarantine would give him more time off to rest and recuperate.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
We are, for sure, going to buyout Neal this offseason. I've almost never been more confident about something happening in hockey before, lol. The only way it doesn't happen is if Katz's fortune has been really decimated by COVID outcomes or something.

I’m not so sure. Everything I’ve been reading about him this year is how hard he’s been hit by Covid and he just can’t get back up to speed.

He may declare himself injured because of his Covid issues meaning he collects his full contract and can’t be bought out - but the Oilers could put him on LTIR or trade his contract to a team that wants to exceed the cap, or use it ourselves however being in LTIR also means your in cap hell all year as we are seeing with Klefbom.

If he plays the Oilers could also send him to the AHL next year recouping a tad over a million towards the cap and buying him out in 2022/23 so his buyout hit of $1.9M is on the books 2 years vs 4.

Also as you alluded to, teams are cash poor right now with owners not wanting to put more money in with buyouts.

Anyway I would actually be surprised if we bought Neal out as there are so many other scenarios that may come into play.

Reactions: TB12

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Neal going on LTIR could be a possibility. Everything is documented and if it happens it would be for legitimate medical reasons.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Ride the bus where?

You think he'd want to give up playing? And the money?
Ride the bus in Bakersfield.
Many with families in Covid times aren't even thrilled by playing in NHL. Turris may actually not report . There really isn't much left in terms of pay for this year. He can terminate his contract and sign with someone else next year for the same money he is making now

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Guy can't defend worth shit.
Him scoring a goal every 3 games won't be worth the 2 extra he is helping to allow

Well, there is a netto on + 1 actually.

No, from the start of his career was he provably a bit to high thought of- drafted top 3 and all, considering his total game.
Thats also the problem with the draft - offense is considered unlearnable and to important, so juniorplayers who can score goals in junior gets credit for being elite players.

He is one dimensional offensive center, good shot and no defensive skill what so ever.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

That's very promising to hear

Holland can actually male strategys AND look forward after it. Unheard of in Edmonton.

Bsd contracts. equals Neal?
It shoild be Koskinen considered how much he is strating, but getting usef to a new goalie just before a playoff run is a risk.

Feb 9, 2013
Yeah, we are still hurting in the bottom 6 and need more defence out of our dmen, lol. But Rakell has a wicked shot, and would make our top-6 pretty dam impressive. More than that though, is that he has a very friendly cap hit for next year. If we don't resign him after, maybe its because Holloway or Lavoie is ready for top-6 duty by then. We likely have options in 2022-23. That is the year Nurse is going to need his rather large raise as well, so I could see us viewing a player with exactly 1 year left on his deal as fitting our cap structure almost perfectly. We likely try to insert some young forward talent that year to save some money.

Rakell is somebody I've had circled since last summer, and the fact that Anaheim is thinking about letting him go this year, rather than next, is music to my ears. Holland is an absolute FOOL if he gets hung up on the 1st round pick this year. The player won't help the team until Drai's contract is over, or in its last year. Even then, that player is likely not a difference maker at that point (21-22 years old), and is more than likely just trying to keep his head above water. Our window to win is the next 4 years, full stop, and Holland should be moving heaven and earth to make us a contender in the next 4 years. Getting a player like Rakell for 2 playoff runs for picks and prospects is exactly what Holland needs to be doing. Even more so when that player has an exceptionally favorable cap hit.

Getting Rakell (or another top 6) would also allow some talent, i.e. likely Kahun, to slot in the bottom six and improve team depth.

I like the idea of:

McDrai - Pulj
Rakell - Nuge - Honey Badger (the RNH-B line?)

Or

McRakell - Pulj
DRY

On paper at least, that top 6 depth is as good as any in the league. I like the idea of getting a player with a 200ft game.

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Ride the bus in Bakersfield.
Many with families in Covid times aren't even thrilled by playing in NHL. Turris may actually not report . There really isn't much left in terms of pay for this year. He can terminate his contract and sign with someone else next year for the same money he is making now

Well we don’t know for sure if he’ll be sent to Bakersfield. And if he is, and doesn’t want to go, something tells me Holland wouldn’t exactly be a hardass about it in a time like this.

Turris is already signed for next season. After his play this year, he’s going to throw that away to try to get the same contract from someone else?

It doesn’t seem to make sense from Turris’ end at all.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

Not really a surprise that Turris didn't succeed here. Anyone know that does this organization have analytics crew? The decisions made would suggest that they don't have...

He is just 31 years old. How could his career downfall so quick?? Bad training habits?

Is Nuge on the same route?

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Well we don’t know for sure if he’ll be sent to Bakersfield. And if he is, and doesn’t want to go, something tells me Holland wouldn’t exactly be a hardass about it in a time like this.

Turris is already signed for next season. After his play this year, he’s going to throw that away to try to get the same contract from someone else?

It doesn’t seem to make sense from Turris’ end at all.

I could see a trade from a team that wants centerdepth, and is naive.

Bad playet for bad player move

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Had a dream last night we trade RNH for 2 1sts + a prospect . Traded for Hall and Rakell and form a 3rd line of Holloway McLeod Puljujarvi. Oh forgot we also add Dunn and we never moved any of our 1st .

Was more of a nightmare as I don’t want anything to do with Hall unless Neal is going back . Neal 50% retain + Jones a 2nd in 2022 for Hall at 50%

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I see everyone’s moved on from the topic, but about adding a player who would go straight to LTIR. Yes that would increase the amount you are allowed to spend over the cap. However, you’ve also added their cap hit to your team cap hit so it doesn’t give you any extra room to add players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad