Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Buyers at the Deadline or Stand Pat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I like the idea of adding Hall, but I prefer to add him for free during the offseason. The only way I'd be happy to spend our first is if Neal and Koski are heading out and Hall and Ullmark and coming back. If Buffalo doesn't bite, no problem. I have my fingers crossed that Neal might "retire" next season anyway.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I like the idea of adding Hall, but I prefer to add him for free during the offseason. The only way I'd be happy to spend our first is if Neal and Koski are heading out and Hall and Ullmark and coming back. If Buffalo doesn't bite, no problem. I have my fingers crossed that Neal might "retire" next season anyway.

If we can’t offload Neal in a trade for Hall, I agree, don’t trade for him now, just target him in the summer. If we could, it sure would be an amazing opportunity for our cap situation though.

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020
You're right. James Neal is completely untradable.
Nah, no one is untradable. There are teams out there currently that are open to taking on cap for picks/prospects. In fact I believe Doug Wilson said he is a few days ago. We have some decent prospects if the deal is right.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Holland owes McDavid and Draisaitl a top six winger addition. It's just unfair to ask them to carry this team in a playoff round vs Winn/Tor/Mtl.

RNH and Kahun will be no shows and Puljujarvi and Yamamoto are too inexperienced to be asked to shoulder a big load.

When your top 2 players give you a season like this you owe it to them to give them at least a fighting shot.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nah, no one is untradable. There are teams out there currently that are open to taking on cap for picks/prospects. In fact I believe Doug Wilson said he is a few days ago. We have some decent prospects if the deal is right.
Expiring cap. Chicago's willing to do what Toronto did to facilitate the Lehner trade as a third party last season. Free picks for eating a few hundred K for the rest of the year. Neal is a healthy player still owed over $12m over the next two and a half years. There's no example of a team committing to that much dead cap owed to a healthy player because the GM would never get authorization to spend that much money on a non-asset, even with 'sweeteners' involved.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I think Holland owes McDavid and Draisaitl a top six winger addition. It's just unfair to ask them to carry this team in a playoff round vs Winn/Tor/Mtl.

RNH and Kahun will be no shows and Puljujarvi and Yamamoto are too inexperienced to be asked to shoulder a big load.

When your top 2 players give you a season like this you owe it to them to give them at least a fighting shot.
Hall has a no move doesn't he? Maybe he says no to a bunch of teams and Buffalo lowers it's stance.

They already sat him out. You gotta start somewhere. Maybe they start with a first and go with something else. We don't even have our 2nd either.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Expiring cap. Chicago's willing to do what Toronto did to facilitate the Lehner trade as a third party last season. Free picks for eating a few hundred K for the rest of the year. Neal is a healthy player still owed over $12m over the next two and a half years. There's no example of a team committing to that much dead cap owed to a healthy player because the GM would never get authorization to spend that much money on a non-asset, even with 'sweeteners' involved.
If that's the case then just buy him out this summer. Eating the 2 extra years is worth the relief you get over the next 2 when we should be trying to win.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hall has a no move doesn't he? Maybe he says no to a bunch of teams and Buffalo lowers it's stance.

They already sat him out. You gotta start somewhere. Maybe they start with a first and go with something else. We don't even have our 2nd either.

It doesn't have to be Hall specifically, though some things seem to be lining up for that, but someone needs to be brought in.

RNH/Kahun/Yamo/Pulju are going to get murdered in a playoff series 5-on-5 most likely (Yamo and Pulju have an excuse in that they have little experience).

It's not fair to McDavid and Draisaitl to give them no help. Not fair to Smith, Nurse, and Barrie either who have helped the Oilers get there.

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020
Ahh ok I see what you're saying. Good point.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
It doesn't have to be Hall specifically, though some things seem to be lining up for that, but someone needs to be brought in.

RNH/Kahun/Yamo/Pulju are going to get murdered in a playoff series 5-on-5 most likely (Yamo and Pulju have an excuse in that they have little experience).

It's not fair to McDavid and Draisaitl to give them no help. Not fair to Smith, Nurse, and Barrie either who have helped the Oilers get there.
Agreed it doesn't have to be him.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That said it's not like there are a ton of top 6 wingers available. He's also likely to want to stay here.
Hall extended on a reasonable cap or short extension or Rakell are the main names that make sense to me if the 1st rounder is in play. Otherwise I'd hold it until the summer and use it then for a winger upgrade or for a rock solid starting goalie that's under 30. A lot would depend on what's available in UFA though and if there's interest in Edmonton. There will be options to get a top 6 winger and goalie via UFA this summer.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Another thought. Yamamoto having a bit of a sophomore slump in terms of production isn't the worst thing with him being an RFA this summer. Allows us to keep him cheap for a couple years to re-evaluate what we have.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
If the Oilers trade for a player tomorrow/Saturday, he probably would only miss one game (Apr. 17 in Winnipeg) since next week's games against the Canucks are likely going to be postponed.

I'm pretty sure they will be re-working the schedule again to sub in alternate games/opponents if the Nucks are unable to go on the 12th & 14th.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I'm pretty sure they will be re-working the schedule again to sub in alternate games/opponents if the Nucks are unable to go on the 12th & 14th.
Wouldn't that just screw things up for the other teams? The Oilers are done with Toronto and Ottawa after tomorrow. Calgary/Winnipeg/Montreal are all busy with games in Ontario and Quebec next week. There's no one for the Oilers to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad