Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Buyers at the Deadline or Stand Pat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I'm honestly not expecting anything worthwhile until the summer. I don't see a point in making trades if we aren't even going to try out some of the internal options. Seems like a waste of assets to me.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
@CravenMH "I'm pretty sure McD will be fine if we part with Nuge. Chiarelli introduced him to these harsh realities when he brought in the player that could have ended his career his first season (and wasn't sorry about it) and also dealt his good buddy Strome the same season (blindsided everyone involved). It's a business and I'm sure by now he understands it. If we make a move that improves the team, that's what needs to be done. Nuge has made a ton of money being employed here, I would argue he's made alot more than most teams would have payed him. He'll be just fine also."

Pretty much what I said in the third sentence of my post you quoted. The reality is overwhelmingly likely Nugent Hopkins walking in free agency for nothing versus a patched together trade deadline deal with a seven day quarantine and limited cap available to make a deal. The Oilers are going for their second playoff run in over a decade. The plan - realistic plan - is replacing Nugent Hopkins with players that make this team better.

As professional hockey 'employees', both McDavid and Nugent Hopkins have made wealth beyond what me, likely you or anyone on this board will realize. Of course they realize its a business, of course fans and myself realize it a business. And ya, pretty sure Nugent Hopkins will be okay. It's about winning and I'm skeptical this team is better letting a solid, proven production guy (three year production versus 26 points in 35 games this year) go for nothing. One year contract guys Hall and Hoffman haven't killed it. The big one-win winner has been Toffoli. So saying Nugent Hopkins is easy to replace might not be the case.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Whether we want to believe we are contenders or not, it doesn't change the fact this is still one year of McDrai window. It's crucial. We can't keep waiting for the right time. Start making some trades already

Reactions: o98 and CravenMH

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
Whether we want to believe we are contenders or not, it doesn't change the fact this is still one year of McDrai window. It's crucial. We can't keep waiting for the right time. Start making some trades already
Contenders or not, winning this division, and potentially coming out of the division, would be huge for the management, players, and fans. After the last few years it would go a long way IMO.

JBear

Mar 26, 2014
What do the Oilers need?

Upgrade at 3rd line center.
Bonafide #1 goalie? Can Smith and Koski be enough?
A proven scoring winger?

That's a lot of needs and cap to trade for that require a lot of assets the team does not have

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
If we want to be at the top of the division when the dust settles at the end of the season this club needs some help. Does Holland add or wait to re-tool in the offseason?

There's definitely going to be a retool this off season, that I'm fairly certain Holland will do albeit post expansion.

IMO, he should add during this season while McDrai going supernova but at the same time, salary in salary out makes doing shit super difficult. If only Nuge wasn't such a bust this season when not with McDrai...

f*** Chia

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What do the Oilers need?

Upgrade at 3rd line center.
Bonafide #1 goalie? Can Smith and Koski be enough?
A proven scoring winger?

That's a lot of needs and cap to trade for that require a lot of assets the team does not have

IMO the net is Smith's this season. In the offseason we should look for a younger option to take over the reigns from him, but this season the net belongs to Smith barring him hitting a rough patch.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
@McSuper

"Really RNH isn’t good enough to centre his own line . So he is a winger . A winger playing with McDavid or Draisaitl should have more then 26 points . I can not understand how fans want to pay RNH anymore then he is currently being paid . I like RNH . He been a good soldier threw some tough times but we can not over pay him . Fans get too attached to the name on the back of the jersey and forget about the logo on the front . The goal is to win a cup . RNH and his soft play doesn’t get us closer to a cup . I would argue at 7 million he pushes us further away from a cup ."

I think quality depth is an issue for this hockey team as Holland untangles Chiarelli's mess. We see this when the Oilers run the Nuclear option and Nugent Hopkins gets a revolving set of line mates. In that past that's been players like Lucic and Khaira and this year in short sample its been Kahun/Ennis and Yamamoto. I've said three smallish, finesse players is not going to work on a secondary top six line and that I'd like to see Kassian get a shot to give Nugent Hopkins a big body, strong forecheck type player. But really, a skilled, shoot first 2LW who could work with Nugent Hopkin's natural distributor mentality and vision is missing on this team. Then we would see how a prospective balanced top six might look like.

As a winger, Nugent Hopkins has better chemistry with Draisaitl who is a more prototypical centre who utilizes his wingers and we saw that in the second half of last year where the partnership helped Draisaitl elevate to the best in the league. Connor McDavid is so much better than everyone else in the game. He's so good that much of his game is as a soloist able to break down teams on his own and where big body net crashers are better fits. Puljujarvi is developing into this type of complementary player with the skating and puck skills that a guy like Maroon or Lucic didn't have. If anything, I'd like to see the DRY line re-united but don't see how Kahun or Ennis plays with McDavid.

I like the thought of adding a high quality sniping first top six LW and the versatility it can provide for game planning and in-game management with McDavid and a centre/wing versaility of Draisaitl and Nugent Hopkins. Forever the team has been too light in depth to effectively win when they run the Stack . Not sure why you mention $7 million salary when the reports suggest discussions are in the $6 - $6.5 million range. And to his 26 point total, that places Nugent Hopkins in Maple Leaf land as 2 points behind Tavares, tied with Nylander, and 5 points ahead of Hyman. The Leaf team is well ahead of its development with a stronger, deeper team that I think is the difference (but not much) between these two teams.

EDIT: Yamamoto has also 'regressed' to a more realistic .48 points per game so its not like he was driving secondary scoring. Love the player, love his game but this is a quality depth issue as we've seen Holland rummage the remainder bin for deals with no cap room.

The team is close. I prefer building and adding on to a high quality and versatile core versus thinking free agency or trading assets will move the needle with Nugent Hopkins pushed out.

Last edited:

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I think they can make a run this year, I’d add. You have McDrai at the peak of their abilities, you have to go for it. If they get hot, things could be good

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
@McSuper

"Really RNH isn’t good enough to centre his own line . So he is a winger . A winger playing with McDavid or Draisaitl should have more then 26 points . I can not understand how fans want to pay RNH anymore then he is currently being paid . I like RNH . He been a good soldier threw some tough times but we can not over pay him . Fans get too attached to the name on the back of the jersey and forget about the logo on the front . The goal is to win a cup . RNH and his soft play doesn’t get us closer to a cup . I would argue at 7 million he pushes us further away from a cup ."

I think quality depth is an issue for this hockey team as Holland untangles Chiarelli's mess. We see this when the Oilers run the Nuclear option and Nugent Hopkins gets a revolving set of line mates. In that past that's been players like Lucic and Khaira and this year in short sample its been Kahun/Ennis and Yamamoto. I've said three smallish, finesse players is not going to work on a secondary top six line and that I'd like to see Kassian get a shot to give Nugent Hopkins a big body, strong forecheck type player. But really, a skilled, shoot first 2LW who could work with Nugent Hopkin's natural distributor mentality and vision is missing on this team. Then we would see how a prospective balanced top six might look like.

As a winger, Nugent Hopkins has better chemistry with Draisaitl who is a more prototypical centre who utilizes his wingers and we saw that in the second half of last year where the partnership helped Draisaitl elevate to the best in the league. Connor McDavid is so much better than everyone else in the game. He's so good that much of his game is as a soloist able to break down teams on his own and where big body net crashers are better fits. Puljujarvi is developing into this type of complementary player with the skating and puck skills that a guy like Maroon or Lucic didn't have. If anything, I'd like to see the DRY line re-united but don't see how Kahun or Ennis plays with McDavid.

I like the thought of adding a high quality sniping first top six LW and the versatility it can provide for game planning and in-game management with McDavid and a centre/wing versaility of Draisaitl and Nugent Hopkins. Forever the team has been too light in depth to effectively win when they run the Stack . Not sure why you mention $7 million salary when the reports suggest discussions are in the $6 - $6.5 million range. And to his 26 point total, that places Nugent Hopkins in Maple Leaf land as 2 points behind Tavares, tied with Nylander, and 5 points ahead of Hyman. The Leaf team is well ahead of its development with a stronger, deeper team that I think is the difference (but not much) between these two teams.

I don’t care where RNH points would have him on the Leafs . I care about the Oilers . RNH players with zero emotion. No drive what so ever . If you can move Neal and give his 5.75 million to RNH , fine keep him .

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I don’t care where RNH points would have him on the Leafs . I care about the Oilers . RNH players with zero emotion. No drive what so ever . If you can move Neal and give his 5.75 million to RNH , fine keep him .

IF ...

Moving Neal in a flat cap world is going to take more miracle working by Holland.

The Oilers don't compete against themselves. The Leafs have the target in the North Division. You talk salary and production. I've given a pretty simple benchmark. Can't also live in IF world.

And playing with emotion is more important than actual production. Good to know. Weak.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I honestly think buy low on Strome from Chicago we would have a better C then RNH

A 24 year old $3 million cap hit with one season of 51 points and 9 points this year, average to below average boots is a better centre option? Throwing $3 million and trade assets to get him is a big if for a team trying to move forward in its window to win.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
@McSuper

EDIT: Yamamoto has also 'regressed' to a more realistic .48 points per game so its not like he was driving secondary scoring. Love the player, love his game but this is a quality depth issue as we've seen Holland rummage the remainder bin for deals with no cap room.

The team is close. I prefer building and adding on to a high quality and versatile core versus thinking free agency or trading assets will move the needle with Nugent Hopkins pushed out.

Great post...

In my ideal, make believe world, we walk on Nuge and sign Landeskog to be our top-six LW and a solid two-way guy to be our 3C (like Daneault or Haula).

The reality is we don't have that cap space, those guys won't be available, or won't be signing here.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Great post...

In my ideal, make believe world, we walk on Nuge and sign Landeskog to be our top-six LW and a solid two-way guy to be our 3C (like Daneault or Haula).

The reality is we don't have that cap space, those guys won't be available, or won't be signing here.

I'm all for any roster upgrade that brings winning. Period. I've lived through favourite players being traded, Coffey, Gretzky, Messier and stayed the course with this franchise through prolonged incompetence. Getting it right is critical and the Nugent Hopkins situation is a tricky one.

I've always liked both Landeskog and Deneault going back to their respective draft years. But I don't see Colorado letting their emotional leader and productive guy go in their winning window. Daneault would be amazing as a 3C but my impression is he sees himself higher in a team's line-up and salary wise (and slotting) he seems a perfect fit with Le Canadiens having two entry level top prospect centres able to play ahead of him with the team's security of having Deneault in the mix. I don't know what the market or cost is for similar type 2/3C guys of that quality.

Holland will have some spending money this summer. Will be interesting to see what he does to address a team that appears to be on the cusp of being a legitimate playoff team and one that has had threadbare depth.

Reactions: bucks_oil

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
It’s not a question of this being another wasted season, this team will still be in playoffs.

Are those assets better spent now for maybe run? Or in the offseason when you have more cap flexibility and available options.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It’s not a question of this being another wasted season, this team will still be in playoffs.

Are those assets better spent now for maybe run? Or in the offseason when you have more cap flexibility and available options.
The assets would be better spent now. McDavid or Drai could get injured or have down years in the coming years. We can't keep taking McDrai for granted

Also, Nurse and Barrie are as cheap as they'll get. When everyone get their raises it's going to be even harder to be a competitive team

Reactions: Little Fury

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I agree RNH needs to better and shouldnt get a cent over 6M. But we just cannot let him leave for free without replacing him.

Theres really noone in FA that is at his level, so do we let him walk and have this huge hole in our top 6? Personally, Saad or Tatar really doesnt get me excited either...

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I agree RNH needs to better and shouldnt get a cent over 6M. But we just cannot let him leave for free without replacing him.

Theres really noone in FA that is at his level, so do we let him walk and have this huge hole in our top 6? Personally, Saad or Tatar really doesnt get me excited either...

What’s this level that RNH is playing at? You just quoted 2 players who have outproduced RNH at 5V5 this season. I love the idea of Saad here, rumor was Holland chased him down last season but the Hawks wanted a first rounder. He would be a great fit in the top 6 IMO. Also if you’re letting RNH walk they probably want to get a C, so you have the flexibility to run McDrai like they are right now, so they would have to look at a guy like Danault IMO.

RNH has been awful this year, if it wasn’t for his contributions on the PP and the team winning we are likely talking about a healthy scratch here and there. He has 10 5V5 points, Kahun has 1 goal less and 1 assist less at 5V5 and he’s riding pine right now. Yamamoto has been better, Puljujarvi has been better than RNH. He’s been the worst of the bunch in our top 6 at even strength and people actually want to give him 6? At this point I would be floored at any deal over 4-5 with term, he’s been horrible. If this is the start of his decline then it’s going to be a looong contract if he is re-signed.

He will get signed, because the team wants less turnover, and Mcdavid seems to like him. But to say he can’t be replaced is false. For that 6M you could easily find 2 players this offseason that can contribute more than RNH has at even strength this year, for the cost of his contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: o98

Proko88

May 6, 2010
I am still in the belief that RNH is a 3rd line centre. Play him there next season and pay him as such. He has the defensive awareness for that position and he doesn’t have to be pressured with putting up points. He can hop in on the top pp as needed. Then Holland can fill in the top 9 wingers as needed.
Xxx McD pulj
Xxx Drai yam
Xxx RNH kass
My targets would be Hall and Rakell if possible. RNH should be around 5x5

Reactions: JBear
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad