Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Buyers at the Deadline or Stand Pat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Just looking back at a few cap dump trades from the past, maybe it would take a 1st and a mid-grade prospect, or a 1st and a 3rd. I think two 1sts is way too high.

Datsyuk and a 1st to ARI for ARI 1st + 2nd + Vitale
Teravainen + Bickell for a 2nd + 3rd
Subban for Santini + Davies +2nd

Just a few off the top of my head.
Two of those players were injured and were acquired for LTI purposes, while the other was a former Norris trophy winner. Neal is a healthy winger that is currently sitting in the pressbox of a team that requires a player that plays his position.

I'm not sure if you actually don't understand why an owner would prefer to not pay $10m for a draft pick or if you're trying to grasp at straws because you really want Hall back.

What would Calgary have to give to convince you to bring back Lucic? It's the same situation.

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Pegula is worth something like $5 Billion (with a B). Neal's $7m buyout is like me spending $3 on an espresso to him.

1st+prospect+Neal 25% retained is the offer and if another team can beat that, good luck to them.
And they didn't get there by spending millions on lottery tickets. Taking Neal's contract hurts their ability to ice a competitive team.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I disagree on the Dman part. YES we do need a LD. We won't be going far if the other 2 LDs behind Nurse are Russell and Jones. Before you say "put Barrie on LD or Bear on LD or Bouchard on LD", I'll say that this just wont work! A RD who's been playing the right side his whole career has to learn a different kind of change to his overall game in a short span? Heck no

Kris Russell says hi.

Reactions: DarksideGhost

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Hall wouldnt be my first, second or third choice but there seems to be some smoke around him with this team.

Based on that Islanders trade, Buffalo isnt going to get a first I dont think for Hall alone. Hes probably worth a second or a third honestly with the way hes playing this year, his reputation and his high cap hit. If we could trade the first and Neal and a B/C prospect (like Maksimov or something) that would be a pretty good deal even if we dont end up re-signing Hall. Also, it seemed like in the summer, Hall had some interest in Edmonton, but they didnt have the cap to sign him. Hall has a nmc, if he wants to go to Edmonton, and not really anywhere else, he could put Buffalo in a tough spot, either they get something for him or nothing.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
I'd be willing to do

EDM 1st
Koskinen
Chiasson

for

Hall @50%
Ullmark @50%
BUF 3rd

I would literally splooge, but I think we would have to sweeten.

That said almost every other team gets a great trade every now and then... We haven't struck gold since Maroon so maybe we get lucky.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I’d move our 1st if Neal is going the other way.

1st+Neal+Turris for Hall

Jones+2nd +Kosko for Driedger

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
Two of those players were injured and were acquired for LTI purposes, while the other was a former Norris trophy winner. Neal is a healthy winger that is currently sitting in the pressbox of a team that requires a player that plays his position.

I'm not sure if you actually don't understand why an owner would prefer to not pay $10m for a draft pick or if you're trying to grasp at straws because you really want Hall back.

What would Calgary have to give to convince you to bring back Lucic? It's the same situation.

I'm not sure you understand the value of two 1st round draft picks. Look at all previous trades in the NHL, two 1sts are almost never traded.

James Neal is also a former 40 goal, 80 point scorer.. Years ago, just like Subban's Norris. Those are useless to bring up at this stage of their careers. Subban at $9m is a liability.

The Lucic scenario you brought up is clearly not similar. Look at the two records between Edmonton and Buffalo. Buffalo has a shining 9-23-6. An absolute dumpster fire of a team. Why would they not consider adding picks and prospects to leverage other trades they may have to make. Obviously an owner would prefer to not pay $10m, but that's where things can get creative with additional sweeteners (not a 1st), retentions, buyouts.

Yes, I do want Hall back. I know a Neal trade would be unlikely, it's just fun to consider.

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
Toronto gave up one just to get rid of a year of Marleau's. You're convincing a team to spend millions of dollars on something that they don't want.
This isn’t the same situation at all. Leafs literally couldn’t be cap compliant without moving out Marleau. They would have had to lose a key piece from their roster if they didn’t make that trade. Two firsts to take on Neal’s contract isn’t realistic.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
And they didn't get there by spending millions on lottery tickets. Taking Neal's contract hurts their ability to ice a competitive team.

They haven’t iced a competitive team in a while and very well might be starting over again if they end up moving Eichel. I can’t say for sure that they’d take Neal + 1st, but it’s the only way they’re getting a 1st in a Hall trade.

Neal’s cap hit to a rebuilding team is less of a big deal. Bad teams have taken crap contracts for good future assets on many occasions in the cap era. Maybe we have to add another prospect to make it worthwhile enough, but I don’t see 2 1sts being the price.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm not sure you understand the value of two 1st round draft picks. Look at all previous trades in the NHL, two 1sts are almost never traded.

James Neal is also a former 40 goal, 80 point scorer.. Years ago, just like Subban's Norris. Those are useless to bring up at this stage of their careers. Subban at $9m is a liability.

The Lucic scenario you brought up is clearly not similar. Look at the two records between Edmonton and Buffalo. Buffalo has a shining 9-23-6. An absolute dumpster fire of a team. Why would they not consider adding picks and prospects to leverage other trades they may have to make. Obviously an owner would prefer to not pay $10m, but that's where things can get creative with additional sweeteners (not a 1st), retentions, buyouts.

Yes, I do want Hall back. I know a Neal trade would be unlikely, it's just fun to consider.
PK Subban was a year removed from being third in the Norris voting. He was coming off of a 9-22-31 season and was still a capable RH top pairing defenseman at the time of acquisition. NJ actually wanted him.

James Neal has immense negative trade value. He was acquired for Milan Lucic. Neither one of those players--or more specifically their contracts--are sought by anyone. You would not be able to trade that contract without taking a similarly valued contract back. They are untradable negative value assets. It isn't even worth the time valuating them.

Reactions: Skar

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
PK Subban was a year removed from being third in the Norris voting. He was coming off of a 9-22-31 season and was still a capable RH top pairing defenseman at the time of acquisition. NJ actually wanted him.

James Neal has immense negative trade value. He was acquired for Milan Lucic. Neither one of those players--or more specifically their contracts--are sought by anyone. You would not be able to trade that contract without taking a similarly valued contract back. They are untradable negative value assets. It isn't even worth the time valuating them.
Would be a perfect time for Neal to develop an insufferable.. allergy.. to his equipment :naughty:

Reactions: belair and McDrai

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
Lol this is literally the rhetoric every single year from some people on this board lol. Won't put us over? It gives the team a 2nd line and a plethora of mixes Tippett could do if a line or lines get cold. We need depth scoring past the 1st line 5 on 5 not another defenseman that will keep Bouchard sitting in the rafters.
I’m not saying don’t make a trade that improves our team I’m saying if the rumours are true that hall will sign here in the offseason then id rather use the assets on another player with term who will help us just as much as trading for hall would.
Next year have player X that we trade for plus hall or use assets to trade for hall and not have player X
If Hall is determined to sign here next year then use assets to acquire another player with term and sign Hall

Reactions: CycloneSweep

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Hall 50% retained for Chiasson, Jones and Wells.

Not an aggressive offer, likely doesn't get it done but it's as aggressive as I'd be willing to be for now.

I'd also offer Marody for Pearson 50% retained if Buffalo didn't bite.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Isn't Ullmark their goalie of the future?

So a lower midround first, and garbage for their best goalie and Hall, plus a high 3rd.

Sign me up.

And get Kevyn Adams drunk.

Ullmark is UFA, Buffalo can resign him in the offseason. Not to mention Ullmark would likely want to go to a contender to prove his value before signing a new contract. He has great stats on a terrible team, the sky is the limit on a contender.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I think Connor should let Taylor be the home team for a whole year playing Nhl21. That might be the clincher.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Pegula is worth something like $5 Billion (with a B). Neal's $7m buyout is like me spending $3 on an espresso to him.

1st+prospect+Neal 25% retained is the offer and if another team can beat that, good luck to them.
You want to trade a first round pick for a player who has 18 goals in his last 102 games? Are you high?

Reactions: CycloneSweep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad