Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Buyers at the Deadline or Stand Pat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Trading for hall is not the smart move to make imo. Hall won’t put us over the top this year and why spend assets on a player you can sign in the offseason without using assets. Imo if a trade is to be made it needs to be for a player with some term left preferably a LD then sign hall in offseason.
Lol this is literally the rhetoric every single year from some people on this board lol. Won't put us over? It gives the team a 2nd line and a plethora of mixes Tippett could do if a line or lines get cold. We need depth scoring past the 1st line 5 on 5 not another defenseman that will keep Bouchard sitting in the rafters.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Lol this is literally the rhetoric every single year from some people on this board lol. Won't put us over? It gives the team a 2nd line and a plethora of mixes Tippett could do if a line or lines get cold. We need depth scoring past the 1st line 5 on 5 not another defenseman that will keep Bouchard sitting in the rafters.

Edmonton doesn't get an easy answer.

Adding Hall doesn't help against Hasek backups and clownshoe reffing.

Not saying they can't add.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
What are we waiting for?

Dramatic effect:

XfkOZ4.gif

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Hall at 50% is 4M, but his salary is pro-rated, which comes to something like 2M. Someone else knows better than I do, but basically Hall's cap would be around 2M I'm pretty sure.
I believe the effective cap hit remains the same. It's just the salary that's only 2 million, but only because 6 has already been paid. However, since the actual salary is 2 million, retaining 50% of it costs 1 million, but it saves 4 million in cap space. At this late point in the season, there is a big disconnect between cap hit and salary

Reactions: soothsayer

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Well then I'm fully confused.

Cap space is accrued daily.

Think of it like allowance. You get $5 a week. You spend $4 of it every week. By that fourth week, you have $8 to spend. That's normally where fitting pro-rated contracts comes in, but since they're on LTIR, they don't save that $1 a week and need to send out pretty much the same cap number they bring in.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't think so. Has a team given up two 1sts to get rid of a bad contract?
Toronto gave up one just to get rid of a year of Marleau's. You're convincing a team to spend millions of dollars on something that they don't want.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Bold of you assume Tippett would mix his lines if only he had more options.

Reactions: Klimando Kostani

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

I disagree on the Dman part. YES we do need a LD. We won't be going far if the other 2 LDs behind Nurse are Russell and Jones. Before you say "put Barrie on LD or Bear on LD or Bouchard on LD", I'll say that this just wont work! A RD who's been playing the right side his whole career has to learn a different kind of change to his overall game in a short span? Heck no

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
With the emergence of Nurse, maybe Klefbom might be part of it going to Buffalo? It would give Buffalo some LTIR for this season and possibly next season as Klefbom could still be headed for Robidas Island for all we know.

Just throwing it out there...no idea if that's plausible or not.

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
Toronto gave up one just to get rid of a year of Marleau's. You're convincing a team to spend millions of dollars on something that they don't want.
Just looking back at a few cap dump trades from the past, maybe it would take a 1st and a mid-grade prospect, or a 1st and a 3rd. I think two 1sts is way too high.

Datsyuk and a 1st to ARI for ARI 1st + 2nd + Vitale
Teravainen + Bickell for a 2nd + 3rd
Subban for Santini + Davies +2nd

Just a few off the top of my head.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Business owners don't invest millions of dollars in them. So no.

Shedding cap and term is exceptionally difficult--particularly in the flat cap era.

Pegula is worth something like $5 Billion (with a B). Neal's $7m buyout is like me spending $3 on an espresso to him.

1st+prospect+Neal 25% retained is the offer and if another team can beat that, good luck to them.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
If Hall says he wants to stay here, why not make that trade for a playoff run and he would be here longterm. Wouldn't just be a waste of a first

Reactions: Echodek
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad