Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Another Day, Another Disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I don't really expect them to score that much more than last year unless they add a significant proven NHL forward or two.

Past the three centers, this is basically an AHL caliber group of forwards pretending to be an NHL team.

That doesn't work in the NHL. You can't pretend your way through 82 NHL games, eventually (probably sooner than later) you will get exposed.

Your best bet is maybe that Tippett plays some kind of trap system, but that probably goes down the tubes real quick if Klefbom suffers his annual injury.

If anything too I think the book is fully out on the Oilers too, every team scouts us hard because of McDavid, and every team knows exactly how to play us ... you pick on/shut down lines 2/3/4 and forecheck the heck out of the D group until they start making mistakes and then go to town on the goalie.
I think it is an exaggeration to say that beyond the three centers the forwards are AHL calibre. If this team had one more high impact winger and a solid #3C there would be nothing wrong with the forwards. The problem is that like the defense in the past missing those two individuals means too many people have to play above their pay grade and that has a real domino effect.

Benson McDavid Draisaitl
Hall Nuge Chiasson
Nygard/Granlund Kadri Gagner
Khaira Cave/Haas/Brodziak Kassian

gives you a line-up with players in positions that they can be successful in. Of course adding a Hall or Kadri is not happening this year but you can certainly fill out the rest of the roster with players that belong in the NHL.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Random thought:

Do you think Holland and Stevie Y will ever do a trade with each other?
Yes, quite frequently GM's will trade for a player they have had before and with a new guy coming in he's bound to not be as high on someone as the prior GM. I was previously thinking we might land a depth piece off them, but that is seeming less likely, I'll guess it'll be a real insignificant deal a prospect that Holland drafted who underwhelms over the next 1-3 years and gets traded for something pretty negligible.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
May Raab gets his biggest wish ever and it’s a Nurse for Risto trade.

kPdFGAn.gif

Reactions: nabob

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Random thought:

Do you think Holland and Stevie Y will ever do a trade with each other?

This got me curious. It looks like the last trade between Detroit and Edmonton involving players was Jun. 14, 1996, when they got Essensa for future considerations.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
This got me curious. It looks like the last trade between Detroit and Edmonton involving players was Jun. 14, 1996, when they got Essensa for future considerations.

This is largely due to the fact that Holland simply doesn’t make many trades.

I’m guessing we’ll add one more minor free agent, add some PTOs for camp and that’s it.

Reactions: Aceboogie

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I still can't believe that Labanc contract
It's kind of fun reading the first 2-3 pages of hfshark signing thread. Guesses for the 1 year contract are between $4M (max) and $1.9M (min), and most seem to think $1.9M would already be seen as a fireable offense for his agent :laugh:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
The more I look, the more I think Brassard would be a very nice fit. Especially if you can get him for in and around, or under 2 mil.

Even if you don't add anyone else, he would at least take the middle 6 from abysmal to poor.

Benson-RNH-Chiasson
Granlund-Brassard-Gagner

If Pulju's re-signs, or Holland targets another forward like Vanek, than Brassard would also give you a rotatable option with Gagner to bounce between the 2nd and 3rd lines.

Gagner/Brassard-RNH-Chiasson
Granlund-Gagner/Brassard-Puljujarvi

Nothing great, but again it's not a liability. Plus the cavalry should be there about half way through the season, with 1 or 2 of Benson, Marody, and Yamamoto likely ready for NHL minutes.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Yes, quite frequently GM's will trade for a player they have had before and with a new guy coming in he's bound to not be as high on someone as the prior GM. I was previously thinking we might land a depth piece off them, but that is seeming less likely, I'll guess it'll be a real insignificant deal a prospect that Holland drafted who underwhelms over the next 1-3 years and gets traded for something pretty negligible.
Except with Chiapet because Boston hated his guts and purposely trades for a lesser package to Clagary just to spite him.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
HockeyFeed(I know, I know), citing that The Hockey Writers(better) is saying that Oilers are in the mix for Gusev

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
The thing about gusev is hes probably a rental for two years and goes to free agency afterwards. I'm not sure how much I give to get two years of a player.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The thing about gusev is hes probably a rental for two years and goes to free agency afterwards. I'm not sure how much I give to get two years of a player.

I mean we've had such a great record of success signing aging players who have spent their whole careers in the KHL I expect we give up . a 1st round pick and sign Gusev for $5M.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Gusev is the best bet we have for finding a legit game breaker for the top 6. He is 100% a risk, but the reward is massive as well. This guy could be a Panarin or a flame out, but these are risks we need to take

Hes looking at 4 mil, which is a fair amount for a guy with no NHL experience. But it's a manageable cap hit

Again, just goes to show how all these overpays for bottom 6 players add up and cause issues

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I mean we've had such a great record of success signing aging players who have spent their whole careers in the KHL I expect we give up . a 1st round pick and sign Gusev for $5M.
Holland has had more success with this, no? And I would think Gusev gets $4M tops, and I suspect you might be able to get him for less on a 1yr deal because won't he be a UFA after his next contract?

Also, Gusev is 27 and has a track record (atleast the last 3 years) of high end performances in the KHL.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ideal offseason from here on out

In any sort of variation, and being realistic

Out: Lucic, Russell, 2nd 2020, 2nd 2021, JP

In: Gardiner (5.5 × 5), Gusev (4), solid bottom 6 UFA forward for under 4

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

Same, there is the risk he doesn’t pan out, br the bigger risk is that he does. And you know that if he does there’s no way he doesn’t go to FA to go to a New York or a big market in 2 years. If we did get him and he shredded it this year, I think you either extend him next offseason or move him again

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
HockeyFeed(I know, I know), citing that The Hockey Writers(better) is saying that Oilers are in the mix for Gusev
Vegas is likely using our offer to drive up their asking price from an Eastern team. That's probably the extent of it. Holland should get Stevie Y to do him a favour and be our middle man to bring in Gusev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad