Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
Chia plz

d-fence-defense-sign.jpg

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Have you seen the standings? We're in 30th ****ing place. What's there to be happy about?!

We are in this perpetual rebuild because we kept trading away our good players who apparently weren't good enough. Frankly I am happy that Chiarelli is taking a measured approach and wants to do it right the first time. In the summer they set the bar low for a reason. He made it very clear that he wanted to know what the problem was before attempting to fix it. He missed the playoffs his first year in boston too, on a team with not nearly as many high value assets as we have.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We are in this perpetual rebuild because we kept trading away our good players who apparently weren't good enough. Frankly I am happy that Chiarelli is taking a measured approach and wants to do it right the first time. In the summer they set the bar low for a reason. He made it very clear that he wanted to know what the problem was before attempting to fix it. He missed the playoffs his first year in boston too, on a team with not nearly as many high value assets as we have.

The problem has always been defense. It's not a big mystery that should take an entire season to figure out. It's been defense for the better part of 6 years and every other NHL team knows it. Chiarelli has to start moving out players and bringing in NHL defensemen, even if he has to gut the old core to do it. This team will never go anywhere with the defense it has in place right now.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
The problem has always been defense. It's not a big mystery that should take an entire season to figure out. It's been defense for the better part of 6 years and every other NHL team knows it. Chiarelli has to start moving out players and bringing in NHL defensemen, even if he has to gut the old core to do it. This team will never go anywhere with the defense it has in place right now.

I think he knew the problem was defense and goaltending at the draft.

He traded for Talbot and then signed him.

But he still needed the season to know which of the current players he should be trading away for defensive help and have his own internal trade value of the players teams are calling about.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Oilers need to trade their 2016 pick.

There's no way around it.

IMO they just need to trade 2 of Eberle, RNH, 2016 1st and Yakupov over the next 2 years for 2 defensemen.

Since Yak's value is low, likely just keep him.

I think I'd rather have Laine, Matthews or Draisaitl play wing than RNH.

If the pick is in the 4-6 range, I'd trade it straight up for the best d-man available.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Oilers need to trade their 2016 pick.

There's no way around it.

Agreed 100% only thing that would stop me is if no team was willing to offer a D of substance. Hard to believe that atleast 1 team wouldn't be willing to give us a top pairing guy for a top 5 pick.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
The team should have traded Shultz earlier in the season when he had that illusion that he was playing a better game (one which I don't really get because he looked terrible to me from game 1).

I just hate how management/coach fixate on trying to increase a players value when there has been a long enough period that they just aren't cutting it. Mclellan is still playing Purcell with Hall and Drai even though he has been an absolute liability in the offensive zone cause he's too damn slow and doesn't make a quick pass like he was doing when that line was on a tear. At least if you put him on the third line teams that would actually be interested in trading for him would get a look at what this player could do in the most likely scenario that he gets traded for. No playoff team is trading for Purcell with the intention to insert him into the top 6. He will be a depth player and play on the 3rd or 4th line and some pp. All management is doing right now (right before the deadline) is showcase how ineffective Purcell is playing top line minutes with top line players. Than you got Shultz someone who should be toiling away in the minors and they are playing him still around 20 minutes per game. I just don't get it either this team is so blind to terrible play or they've actually tricked themselves into completely obliterating any sort of logical thought process that with out question says Shultz won't return anything ANYTHING worth keeping him in the lineup to instill a wider spread losing mentality. I can only imagine what players like Mcdavid, Yakupov, Hall, and Nuge think when they constantly atleast put in the effort to better there game and who actually look ON THEIR FACES like they give a **** about the game they play as a career
and than turn around while Shultz is on the ice looking like a kid dreaming about his next jerk off session. Burke said Bobby Ryan lacked intensity if that is the case I think there needs to be a new word for what Shultz lacks. I would rather send a message to this ungrateful disgrace of a hockey player that you'll never have a career in this league being as untalented as you are with the determination of a Kovalev.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Nurse for Hamonic. Reinhart + EDM 1st round pick in 2016 for Barrie + COL 1st rounder in 2017 or 2018. Sign Barrie to 7x7.

If Barrie re-signs with COL, pursuit Vatanen.

Klefbom-Barrie
Sekera-Hamonic
Davidson-Gryba
Fayne

Lets go Chiarelli.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't see why Colorado wouldn't re-sign Barrie. They'd be stupid not to. O'Reilly out, Statsny out, what's the point of having cap space if you just trade away every second good player.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
I don't see why Colorado wouldn't re-sign Barrie. They'd be stupid not to. O'Reilly out, Statsny out, what's the point of having cap space if you just trade away every second good player.

They don't like paying their players market value, its either you take a discount for the good of the team or you get shipped out.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Purcell is playing so many minutes lately. Can't wait to see him gone.

Imagine there are no takers for him at the deadline. I think he'll be moved down to the 4th line.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Interesting to note from Stauffer's latest tweet: 2 scouts apiece from Dallas and Chicago here, as well as FLA. That's 2 games in a row for each of those teams that they've had that number here for Oilers games now.. no idea who they'd be looking at.

My guesses on who they'd be looking at:

Florida:
  • Teddy Purcell- want to make an improvement for a playoff push, but realize they are a young team where its best days are ahead of them and don't want to pay the high price of bigger name acquisitions, a mid-tier pick for a little added help on their playoff push.
  • Nail Yakupov- I'm not sure if they are big into him, but I got the impression from little bread crumb rumors here and there they might be interested in him.

Dallas:
  • Benoit Pouliot- I think Chia might be quietly shopping him, Dallas's left side scoring after Benn is pretty weak (Sharp seems to mostly play RW now), I'm thinking they feel Janmark can take on Eakins old responsibilities, so they'll likely dangle Eakins and something on top for the upgrade. IMO a bad trade for us, I just don't get the impression Chia likes Pouliot all that much.

Chicago:
  • Teddy Purcell- just a little scoring punch on the cheap and they don't want someone who will impact their cap-hit beyond the year.
  • Nikita Nikitin- I know most will think why in the hell would they give him the time of day, but as a pending UFA and us retaining half his remaining salary the cap exposure is quite small, just cheap d-man depth who is more experienced than most of their options and Chicago seem to really value their vets on these long playoff pushes, obviously late pick at best for a return.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Barrie + COL 2016 1st for Reinhart, Yakupov, EDM 2016 1st (top 2 protected) (We don't make this deal before we know our pick anyways)

Eberle for Hamonic, if that doesn't work Nurse for Hamonic.

Klefbom-Hamonic
Sekera-Barrie
Davidson-

3rd pairing right D could be any of the following:

Lovejoy (UFA)
Clendening (if he picks up his game here)
Oesterle/Musil (from within)
Fayne (if he can't be dealt)
Gryba (if Oesterle deemed unready, Fayne dealt and UFA market dry)
Eric Gelinas (maybe in a trade for Schultz)
Pysyk (if Buffalo offloads him for cheap)
Other

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
Barrie + COL 2016 1st for Reinhart, Yakupov, EDM 2016 1st (top 2 protected) (We don't make this deal before we know our pick anyways)

Eberle for Hamonic, if that doesn't work Nurse for Hamonic.

Klefbom-Hamonic
Sekera-Barrie
Davidson-

3rd pairing right D could be any of the following:

Lovejoy (UFA)
Clendening (if he picks up his game here)
Oesterle/Musil (from within)
Fayne (if he can't be dealt)
Gryba (if Oesterle deemed unready, Fayne dealt and UFA market dry)
Eric Gelinas (maybe in a trade for Schultz)
Pysyk (if Buffalo offloads him for cheap)
Other

Sign me up. I would think you'd be hard pressed to make those trades, but I love the players. I'd certainly be willing to offer more than what you did in order to acquire them.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
One more addition to my plan above:

Trading Schultz to Ottawa for Wiercioch

Wiercioch plays in for Nurse, Nurse is sent to the minors.

24 minutes a night in Bakersfield until they're eliminated.

Fables

Apr 27, 2015
Hi Oilers fans
I have been lately following a lot of oilers discussions mainly because I’m from Finland and therefore really looking forward to the next draft where my dream scenario is this: 1st lottery pick goes to who ever and then picks two and three will go to Buffalo and Edmonton. That’s because I want to see for purely selfish reason either McDavid-Laine and Eichel-Puljujarvi or McDavid-Puljujarvi and Eicher-Laine combos for the next 10-15 years. Yes, I know the odds are not too high but one can always have dreams.

Anyway what I really would like to know is when do you see the Oilers window of opportunity (for SC contender) really opening? I think that is key to all these discussion on whether to trade this or that player or 1st pick now or do something else. If you think that you can be competitive in 1-2 years then you should trade everyone who is not good enough to be in your team next year or to whom you can’t afford to pay considering the salaries of the new guys (read mostly defenders) you are trading for.
For example in this case (1-2 years) you might want to trade Nurse+ for an established top-4 defender. On the other hand if you think your window of opportunity will open in 3-5 years then you might have a different view and consider also how much are you going to pay McDavid, Hall, Draisaitl at that point. Then the answer with Nurse might keeping him if you trust that he will be a great nr 1-3 defender.

So how long should it take before Oilers realistically could be competing for SC or at least be a regular play offs team?

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Hi Oilers fans
I have been lately following a lot of oilers discussions mainly because I’m from Finland and therefore really looking forward to the next draft where my dream scenario is this: 1st lottery pick goes to who ever and then picks two and three will go to Buffalo and Edmonton. That’s because I want to see for purely selfish reason either McDavid-Laine and Eichel-Puljujarvi or McDavid-Puljujarvi and Eicher-Laine combos for the next 10-15 years. Yes, I know the odds are not too high but one can always have dreams.

Anyway what I really would like to know is when do you see the Oilers window of opportunity (for SC contender) really opening? I think that is key to all these discussion on whether to trade this or that player or 1st pick now or do something else. If you think that you can be competitive in 1-2 years then you should trade everyone who is not good enough to be in your team next year or to whom you can’t afford to pay considering the salaries of the new guys (read mostly defenders) you are trading for.
For example in this case (1-2 years) you might want to trade Nurse+ for an established top-4 defender. On the other hand if you think your window of opportunity will open in 3-5 years then you might have a different view and consider also how much are you going to pay McDavid, Hall, Draisaitl at that point. Then the answer with Nurse might keeping him if you trust that he will be a great nr 1-3 defender.

So how long should it take before Oilers realistically could be competing for SC or at least be a regular play offs team?

Rough economy, new arena, one year away from an NHL record for most seasons without a playoff spot.

They HAVE to be a playoff team next year or else they might finally start to see attendance drop.

Depending on where the dollar is, they need this team playing into spring. The fans are almost out of patience too. McDavid has 2 years left on his ELC and Hall is almost 25 already, they are out of time to diddle.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
If COL doesn't have Barrie signed after the draft I would offer sheet him at 5.4. Cost us next years 1st and 3rd but we add a skilled puck mover at RHD, we keep our 1st and we still have Eberle or RNH to move for another D-man

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
If COL doesn't have Barrie signed after the draft I would offer sheet him at 5.4. Cost us next years 1st and 3rd but we add a skilled puck mover at RHD, we keep our 1st and we still have Eberle or RNH to move for another D-man

Zero chance 5.4 gets you to the dance. Young DMan like that is going to want a lot If Nikitin gets 4+ Barrie gets 7x7, and that would cost serious draft picks. There's a reason nobody does it. I agree though, he'd be a perfect fit.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
If the Purcell line didn't entirely shut down offensively the last couple weeks we would have stood a chance to get a great asset for him. Now its going to be a little disappointing, I think..

Mad Brills*

Outsider asking a non troll question: If you guys win the lottery, do you trade RNH immediately for D help?

Measles

Oct 30, 2015
Calgary
Outsider asking a non troll question: If you guys win the lottery, do you trade RNH immediately for D help?

If they win the lottery I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade Draisaitl in a package for a #1 D and keep RNH. Drai will fetch a higher return.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the 1OA pick get traded at the draft in a package for a #1 D. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that RNH is traded.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton

I think the fanbase is really torn on this. I'd say half of us would be in the "trade the pick for best d-man you can get category" so as to improve the team as quickly as possible. The other half has pretty much given up on this core and are in favor of rebuild 2.0 which entails dealing the veteran player's and starting from scratch in which case drafting Matthews would be a phenomenal building block. I've yet to decide which is the better option.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
If they win the lottery I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade Draisaitl in a package for a #1 D and keep RNH. Drai will fetch a higher return.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the 1OA pick get traded at the draft in a package for a #1 D. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that RNH is traded.

Trading RNH will free up much needed cap space for a player that will be a light 3C either way. If they can trade RNH now for Vatanen + or Hamonic I would do it. RNH would excel in the East, will struggle in the tougher west.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad