Rumor: Rumors and Proposals: 9 Days and Counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Post from last one

RNH is also the only center aside from Letestu that we can trust to play in all situations well at this point. McDavid and Draisaitl aren't at the point where we'd feel comfortable relying on them while playing a man down and taking RNH away suddenly puts considerable pressure on both of them to play more difficult minutes, while also replacing his offensive production.

RNH and Ebs definitely had a bad stretch of play... but I don't personally remember RNH himself making poor reads or terrible plays. I remember some stretches where he was very tentative and therefore made himself ineffectual (puck passed around him without much effort) or appeared lazy (not lunging on a loose puck). But in many of those situations, Ebs had already coughed up the puck in a bad situation or was nowhere to be found. I think Nuge has been overcompensating for some clueless plays on Ebs part.

And I love Ebs... don't get me wrong, but he can be a real passenger in the D zone sometimes. Always the offensive optimist, he forgets that the other guy wants to keep the puck in just as bad as he wants to spring an odd-man rush.

And this all has to do with him not being able to play with McDavid in the lineup? That's clown shoes.

Hall was in the middle of a 7game point streak before the allstar break.

Pretty sure McDavid has been drawing the toughest comp and top D pairings since his return. Hall\Drai have been struggling despite getting relatively easier matchups.. They thrived going against top lines when RNH went down and McD was out.
RNH went down on Jan 18.
Hall right before Jan 18 with RNH in lineup: 9GP 2pts
Hall Jan18 - Feb 04: 6GP 8pts

They don't have a 1C though, and until they do they will always lose when it matters most to teams that do have a 1C. That's what Poile knew in Nashville, and he knew it was THE reason that the Preds have done jack squat in the playoffs, just like St.Louis will always do until they get their 1C. Because when the game is on the line, in one key play, you can only put one guy out there at center. Then it's Toews vs Steen and you just lost the game.

The question is whether RNH is that guy. Imo, if I were them I would take on that risk. RNH has all the tools. He's been on a bad team, and he's young. Surround him with crazy talent and he'll be top 10 in scoring in his prime. He has the talent to match up against Toews or Seguin and win.

Last edited by a moderator:

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
I think we are limiting our options if we are going to write off any dmen not playing top minutes because they are sheltered.

I have no problem looking into dmen who have established themselves in a top 4 role and have learned from playing behind legit top pairing guys.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
The time to make a trade was 2.5 months ago.

I'll be blown away if anything other than our UFA's are moved at the deadline.

This team is back to where it belongs, and once again, the only reason I'm even watching, is to see a few players score some points.

This off season better be huge.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
The time to make a trade was 2.5 months ago.

I'll be blown away if anything other than our UFA's are moved at the deadline.

This team is back to where it belongs, and once again, the only reason I'm even watching, is to see a few players score some points.

This off season better be huge.

Good luck with that. It'll be the same ol same ol shuffling bottom sixers and bottom 4 dmen and expecting different results. Imagine how much worse off this team would have been if we hadn't drafted Mcdavid?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
MIN is still in the playoffs race and could be shaking things up with Yeo out to crawl back up.

With Suter, Spurgeon, Scandella and Dumba in top 4 Brodin can potentially be on the market. He can play the toughest minutes defensively but lacks offense and physicality. We will just have to get that elsewhere.

acquiring him may not make us a playoffs team but should be enough to not make us THE joke of the NHL.

Brodin-fayne
Nurse-Sekera
Davidson-Gryba

Klefa replaces Fayne once he returns.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Good luck with that. It'll be the same ol same ol shuffling bottom sixers and bottom 4 dmen and expecting different results. Imagine how much worse off this team would have been if we hadn't drafted Mcdavid?

Considering the time he has missed with injury ... i am sure we can imagine the team without him..
Add in a Hanifin on the back end and we might actually be higher in standings.

Having said that, McDavid has single candidly won us games multiple times

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
MIN is still in the playoffs race and could be shaking things up with Yeo out to crawl back up.

With Suter, Spurgeon, Scandella and Dumba in top 4 Brodin can potentially be on the market. He can play the toughest minutes defensively but lacks offense and physicality. We will just have to get that elsewhere.

acquiring him may not make us a playoffs team but should be enough to not make us THE joke of the NHL.

Brodin-fayne
Nurse-Sekera
Davidson-Gryba

Klefa replaces Fayne once he returns.

I think it's a bit late to worry about that.

Feb 9, 2013
Personally, I am hoping that Chia goes after Lucic in the off-season (I am right in thinking that Lucic is a ufa, right?). 'Our' need to get tougher to play against, their prior relationship, the fact that Chia and McL like players like Lucic, and Lucic as perhaps the premiere power-forward in the league, and a little wishful thinking all play into it. I know money is an issue... but I do believe we will see a shuffle in the top six this off-season.

Chia has to at least make an offer/call to him... right?

Lucic - McDavid - Yakupov/Eberle

It still leaves 'us' with RNH and 'our' 1st (and whatever else) to acquire the D needed.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Personally, I am hoping that Chia goes after Lucic in the off-season (I am right in thinking that Lucic is a ufa, right?). 'Our' need to get tougher to play against, their prior relationship, the fact that Chia and McL like players like Lucic, and Lucic as perhaps the premiere power-forward in the league, and a little wishful thinking all play into it. I know money is an issue... but I do believe we will see a shuffle in the top six this off-season.

Chia has to at least make an offer/call to him... right?

Lucic - McDavid - Yakupov/Eberle

It still leaves 'us' with RNH and 'our' 1st (and whatever else) to acquire the D needed.

Lucic would be great at 4 million. Someone will give him clown money though.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
In regards to the big changes, just prepare yourself for whatever new position Buchberger somehow gets.

Maybe GM?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
We need 2 too 4 RD. Our LD is actually in good shape with Sekera, Klefbom, Nurse, Davidson and Reinhart. Getting those two players and revamping the bottom six would probably make us a playoff team next season.

McDeathbyCheerios*

We need 2 too 4 RD. Our LD is actually in good shape with Sekera, Klefbom, Nurse, Davidson and Reinhart. Getting those two players and revamping the bottom six would probably make us a playoff team next season.
If we can't get 2 top 4 we absolutely need a legit top pairing right d.

Example Pietrangelo on his own is enough to make us competetive.

Shattenkirk and Hamonic would do the same.

McDeathbyCheerios*

In regards to the big changes, just prepare yourself for whatever new position Buchberger somehow gets.

Maybe GM?
He has gotten pushed away from the main squad. He manages personnel in our ECHL and AHL teams.

Feb 9, 2013
Lucic would be great at 4 million. Someone will give him clown money though.

Probably... but if 'we' were to trade Eberle out for Lucic (Lucic currently makes Eberle-like money) things would stay about the same - even with a raise, I think he could be worked into 'our' cap structure. The Oilers with Lucic in the top six (maybe Lucic and Kassian ;) ) becomes a much different team. Maybe the answer would be to play Yak on the RW.

Lucic - McDavid - Yakupov

Yak can play with an edge - he can be a little cannonball on the ice at times, and with a Lucic on his line setting the tone, he might even get more tenacious. It could - potentially - be quite a hard line to play against. McDavid doing the McJesus thing, Lucic being Lucic, and Yakupov doing what he does. Plus Lucic would help police the ice while McDavid is out there.

Hall - Draisaitl - Kassian

The Oilers would not be an easy or pleasurable team to play against. Lucic and Kassian could feed off of one another - and imagine the games against Vancouver. Their fans would hate us more than ever, having their former power-forward and the one they still covet. This last point is reason enough to get Lucic. ;)

Eberle and/or RNH and/or perhaps 'our' 1st traded for help on the D, and to free up cap space.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Probably... but if 'we' were to trade Eberle out for Lucic (Lucic currently makes Eberle-like money) things would stay about the same - even with a raise, I think he could be worked into 'our' cap structure. The Oilers with Lucic in the top six (maybe Lucic and Kassian ;) ) becomes a much different team. Maybe the answer would be to play Yak on the RW.

Yak can play with an edge - he can be a little cannonball on the ice at times, and with a Lucic on his line setting the tone, he might even get more tenacious. It could - potentially - be quite a hard line to play against. McDavid doing the McJesus thing, Lucic being Lucic, and Yakupov doing what he does. Plus Lucic would help police the ice while McDavid is out there.

The Oilers would not be an easy or pleasurable team to play against. Lucic and Kassian could feed off of one another - and imagine the games against Vancouver. Their fans would hate us more than ever, having their former power-forward and the one they still covet. This last point is reason enough to get Lucic. ;)

Eberle and/or RNH and/or perhaps 'our' 1st traded for help on the D, and to free up cap space.
That's a worse top 6 then we have now or equal. Sure it's "hard to play against" but 1/3 of those guys aren't even top 6 players.
Lucic - Eberle is a wash.
Pouliot to Yakupov is a loss.
Purcell to Kassian is a loss.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

I kind of agree but Ladd/Lucic types are going to ask for Clarkson money and may have similar declines.

If you just want a plug to go get the puck and forecheck you don't need to go after Lucic.....you can try an AHLer or go after Weise or even draft a guy.

If we can get a decent contract then yeah....that'd be a sweet lineup.

Feb 9, 2013
That's a worse top 6 then we have now or equal. Sure it's "hard to play against" but 1/3 of those guys aren't even top 6 players.
Lucic - Eberle is a wash.
Pouliot to Yakupov is a loss.
Purcell to Kassian is a loss.

Sorry... but I disagree. Perhaps you are right if you look at individual points alone, but becoming a harder team to play against is becoming the direction of the Oil. And while the personal stats of the players may not look as good on paper and on the stats sheets, I bet (and Chia and McL are betting) that it translates into more wins.

Lucic would likely mean more to the Oil because he brings an element they don't have in the top six - and to a lesser degree Kassian over Purcell. If you want Pouliot to play RW on a line with Lucic - McDavid, I would be fine with that. Purcell is gone, and I am betting his heir becomes Kassian. So...

Lucic - McDavid - Pouliot

McDeathbyCheerios*

Sorry... but I disagree. Perhaps you are right if you look at individual points alone, but becoming a harder team to play against is becoming the direction of the Oil. And while the personal stats of the players may not look as good on paper and on the stats sheets, I bet (and Chia and McL are betting) that it translates into more wins.

Lucic would likely mean more to the Oil because he brings an element they don't have in the top six - and to a lesser degree Kassian over Purcell. If you want Pouliot to play RW on a line with Lucic - McDavid, I would be fine with that. Purcell is gone, and I am betting his heir becomes Kassian. So...

Lucic - McDavid - Pouliot
Banking on Kassian becoming a top 6 player is crazy.

Banking on Yak being a top 6 player is crazy. If you are moving out Eberle you need to go get a replacement because we don't have one. Losing Purcell too needs a replacement as we don't have one.

Being hard to play against is one thing, a line needs to be able to score though.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think you can find someoine cheaper than Lucic on the trade market.

Pouliot for Hartnell anyone?

Hartnell-McDavid-Eberle
Hall-Draisaitl-Kassian
RNH-Letestu-Yakupov

I'd try Pak or even Korpikoski over Letestube there too, but I'd like to see RNH have a bit more freedom offencively, so that's why I've got him at wing with Letestu centring the line. (A bit like what happened with Dushene earlier this year.
)

Honestly I do hope they try Yak and RNH together before they move anyone.
Hall and Drai go together, same with McDavid and Ebs. RNH and Yak seems like it should be such an obvious duo too, but due to centre depth its never really been tried.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Harvey Fialkov @hfialkov
Tallon said the rash of injuries has made him busier on the phones before trade deadline. #flapanthers

Purcell? I know there was talk about them maybe wanting him before

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Considering the time he has missed with injury ... i am sure we can imagine the team without him..
Add in a Hanifin on the back end and we might actually be higher in standings.

Having said that, McDavid has single candidly won us games multiple times

But the best this team has ever played this season has been without McDavid, while Klefbom was still healthy. Like you say, even though McDavid is a massive addition, he's not going to help us win on a consistent basis while he's saddled with such a flawed surrounding cast. Klefbom goes down, and it's like pulling the rug out from under the team. So you are probably right that Hanifin would have made a bigger impact than McDavid for the short term.

Last offseason we got the best free agent Dman. We could probably do that again this offseason, and we are poised to make big trades and moves this offseason as well. Of course it could all not happen, but with Chiarelli here and all these raw materials I like our odds.

Feb 9, 2013

Banking on Yak being a top 6 player is crazy. If you are moving out Eberle you need to go get a replacement because we don't have one. Losing Purcell too needs a replacement as we don't have one.

Being hard to play against is one thing, a line needs to be able to score though.

McDavid?

Lucic scores, and would be a great presence in front of the net. He might not score as often as Eberle, but he brings a different skill set to the ice. I am betting he is better defensively too.

Obviously individual accomplishments are not getting the Oil anywhere. But - as McL has pointed out - becoming a harder team to play against should.

Kassian played with the Sedins, and would be a complimentary player on a line with Hall and Draisaitl - who, for the record, do score. Again, I am betting Kassian is the heir to Purcell's spot after he is traded in the next couple of weeks.

And scoring doesn't translate into small and soft. But bigger and stronger does translate into harder to play against.

So, if its Pouliot on LW with McDavid and Lucic, fine. Yak, if he were there - like Pouliot, would only need to be a complimentary player.

Hall, McDavid, Draisaitl, Lucic... and Kassian, Yak, Pouliot as complimentary players, it looks like a capable top six to me - even from a scoring perspective.

edit: And dazed and confused made a good point... there are cheaper options. I just want Lucic on the Oil. Arguably the top power-forward in the league playing with the best player in the world.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Harvey Fialkov @hfialkov
Tallon said the rash of injuries has made him busier on the phones before trade deadline. #flapanthers

I could see them grabbing both Purcell and Schultz... Maybe Fayne

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Harvey Fialkov @hfialkov

Depends on which prospects they want to part with. Otherwise I say hold onto Purcell until the trade deadline. See if anyone is willing to trade a first.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

because the line of Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov had trouble scoring.

If Ebs can land us a top pairing D you make the deal 10\10 times and worry about filling a RW spot later. At worst we will have to sign someone like Purcell or Purcell himself. Most logically, you slide Draisaitl over to RW and move RNH up with Hall-Drai.

Eberle doesnt have to return a winger in a deal that sends him away fom a Dman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad