Rumor: Rumors and Proposals: 5 Days Until Armageddon (Free agency). Need the D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
You really wouldn't, in fact that would be a horrendous decision all around.

$9,388,080 or greater is 4 First Round Picks

No one is doing that.

Depends how many years you sign him for. Remember that even when signing for 6 or 7 years, the average for compensation purposes is taken over 5. So $50 million over 7 years is an easy 4 first rounders.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Depends how many years you sign him for. Remember that even when signing for 6 or 7 years, the average for compensation purposes is taken over 5. So $50 million over 7 years is an easy 4 first rounders.

Fair enough, it that case it's somewhat sensible, I guess you could always do a 1yr $9.2M deal, just avoid 4 1sts and then re-up them at a different rate long term as well.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I was really wondering this weekend even if we don't get Lucic if Hall would be dealt. you have two top right wingers in Eberle and Pul, maybe you go with a weaker left side. I hate to move Hall, but I think getting a winger that should make a decent impact next year and an even bigger in 17-18 really changed things around.

I think another thing that people are forgetting, is all 3 of our high end centers are left shots. Sign, or trade for, a decent 3C, and put Nuge and Draisaitl on the same line if you have to. Let them alternate positions.

I'm not okay with going into next season without the defense addressed, and if trading Hall is what we have to do, than so be it.

Drai/Nuge
Pouliot
Maroon
Cagguila.

Thats still very good left side depth to go along with elite C and RW options in the top 6. Plus if we decide in the future we need to address our LW depth, it will be MUCH easier to fix than the D.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
I think another thing that people are forgetting, is all 3 of our high end centers are left shots. Sign, or trade for, a decent 3C, and put Nuge and Draisaitl on the same line if you have to. Let them alternate positions.

This is the one reason a RNH + Yakupov? for Coyle + Dumba trade intrigues me. Hard to say if Minny would bite.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I'm not okay with going into next season without the defense addressed, and if trading Hall is what we have to do, than so be it.

Drai/Nuge
Pouliot
Maroon
Cagguila.

Thats still very good left side depth to go along with elite C and RW options in the top 6. Plus if we decide in the future we need to address our LW depth, it will be MUCH easier to fix than the D.
I just think there was a lot of options before, but now I think getting a young NHL ready winger opened up the door even more. Add if PC knows he can get lucic then things really get interesting.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Just some quick thoughts:

• I hope we don't trade Hall, but if we do can we depend on Draisaitl to be our 2nd line center, when Draisaitl was with Hall the line produced 2.80 GF per 60, without Hall that number dropped to 1.50 GF per 60. I'm very concerned that if we move Hall, Draisaitl won't produce at the kind of rates we expect out of him.
  • Part of me thinks going out of your way to pick-up countrymen for Puljujarvi is a waste of time, he'll become more proficient at English and everything will be fine. Then the other half is like would Yakupov of turned out differently if we got him a solid Russian mentor to play with and do we want to take that kind of risk with Puljujarvi?
  • Then if we get a Finnish mentor who should we target? I see 3 that are realistically available and could play in an offensive role with Puljujarvi, they are:
    1. Komarov- who I think Toronto would make us pay through the nose to acquire
    2. Lehtera- who I don't think Blues are happy with his salary in relation to his offensive contributions who should be a relatively cheap add.
    3. Filppula- who seems to be declining rapidly but is someone we might be able to pry loose with Fayne (and possibly some retention) and was part of 2 solid organizations in TB and DET and is well spoken could be an ideal mentor. The main problem with Filppula aside from the $5M price tag on a player in decline is he comes with an NMC, if we took him we are locking ourselves into the 7F 3D 1G format for the expansion draft.
  • If we trade with the Islanders should we target Ryan Strome, McDavid was very good friends with his younger brother and he has a skill set that could potentially make him a cheaper option to replace what Eberle provides

North

Jun 25, 2009
I don't know he scored more goals this year than he has in 4 years and it was his 3rd highest total of his career. If I'm the GM of Montreal I'm looking at him probably being still the same player for at least 3 years. If Bergevin doesn't do anything he'll be long gone before those 3 years anyway. He hasn't had an injury problems either

The thing is, Ladd's play was about 2 way effectiveness.

25 goals is nice but his play has degraded otherwise.

Also he takes the most boneheaded penalties. Moreau level penalties.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Fair enough, it that case it's somewhat sensible, I guess you could always do a 1yr $9.2M deal, just avoid 4 1sts and then re-up them at a different rate long term as well.

No it doesnt work that way. They only average the amount over 5 years if it's longer than a 5 year contract so 1 year at $9.2 is max compensation. They set the rules up to make it harder for offer sheets to work.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
Who would St. Louis be looking for in a Shattenkirk deal?

picks, Eberle, RNH?

Edit: Guessing Eberle based on their depth chart.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Who would St. Louis be looking for in a Shattenkirk deal?

picks, Eberle, RNH?

Edit: Guessing Eberle based on their depth chart.
Rutherford (Blues' beatwriter) doesn't think Shattenkirk would sign an extension in Edmonton:

But he would be open to signing an extension for other teams in the western conference.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
@TSNRyanRishaug: RT @Real_ESPNLeBrun: UFA blue-liner Jason Demers and UFA winger Milan Lucic both scheduled to be in Edmonton today as Oilers sell them both on their market/team

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

To the guy saying Lucic visiting Vancouver doesn't have to worry. Our turn is next. We won Caiggula over with the Arena. Time for Operation Lucic/Demers

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It would be great if we could sell Demers and Lucic on the arena+McDavid+McLellan and they don't wreck us on the cap hit.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Just some quick thoughts:

• I hope we don't trade Hall, but if we do can we depend on Draisaitl to be our 2nd line center, when Draisaitl was with Hall the line produced 2.80 GF per 60, without Hall that number dropped to 1.50 GF per 60. I'm very concerned that if we move Hall, Draisaitl won't produce at the kind of rates we expect out of him.
  • Part of me thinks going out of your way to pick-up countrymen for Puljujarvi is a waste of time, he'll become more proficient at English and everything will be fine. Then the other half is like would Yakupov of turned out differently if we got him a solid Russian mentor to play with and do we want to take that kind of risk with Puljujarvi?
  • Then if we get a Finnish mentor who should we target? I see 3 that are realistically available and could play in an offensive role with Puljujarvi, they are:
    1. Komarov- who I think Toronto would make us pay through the nose to acquire
    2. Lehtera- who I don't think Blues are happy with his salary in relation to his offensive contributions who should be a relatively cheap add.
    3. Filppula- who seems to be declining rapidly but is someone we might be able to pry loose with Fayne (and possibly some retention) and was part of 2 solid organizations in TB and DET and is well spoken could be an ideal mentor. The main problem with Filppula aside from the $5M price tag on a player in decline is he comes with an NMC, if we took him we are locking ourselves into the 7F 3D 1G format for the expansion draft.
  • If we trade with the Islanders should we target Ryan Strome, McDavid was very good friends with his younger brother and he has a skill set that could potentially make him a cheaper option to replace what Eberle provides

I think we don't have to worry about mear the same amount if development in Puljujärvi as we required from Yak.

Puljujärvi can play his same style successfully. Even in the nhl he will be huge. He already uses his teammates and he already developed a strong 2 way pro game.

I mean,we want him to develop but we don't need him to formulate and change his ideas of the game or lay foundational concepts on him like we had / have to with Nail.

RinkRatOil

Aug 3, 2009
I imagine that our player presentations now involve sitting them down in Rogers Place and watching Mcdavid highlights on that huge scoreboard.

K-Lowe sitting somewhere in the bowels of rexall watching his Heatley DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad