Rumor: Rumor is Petterson wants out....

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
That's the point, it will require one or both of Kasper/Berggren plus Ed, a 1st and probably another roster player just to get Vancouver to listen for more than 30 seconds on the phone. It's too much, plus EP is going to want minimum 10 million on his next contract.
I'd pay EP 10 million 10/10 over paying Larkin 10 million. And Kasper, Berggren, Bert and a couple non-first rounders or next year's first would be an easy price to pay. Hell, Kasper and Raymond and a B level prospect would be an easy ask too.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
There's some terrible takes in this thread.

Not wanting to give up Kasper or Berggren for EP. A guy many people slot in as a middle 6 center and a middle 6 winger for an over PPG 24 year old first line center? Take it, block Vancouver's number and laugh about it.

Slotting EP behind Larkin in a hypothetical lineup. EP is already head and shoulders better than Larkin.

Thinking that Raymond and Veleno are a bridge too far (their career points combined will be less than EPs when its all said and done)

Reality check: EP would instantly be the best player in Detroit the second he arrived. Anything short of Seider, Edvinson and this year's first should be on the table.
There is no reasonable trade for EP that makes the Wings a better team moving forward. We aren't at a position where we can give away multiple key future pieces for anyone.

In three years Kasper will be a more impactful player than EP.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'd pay EP 10 million 10/10 over paying Larkin 10 million. And Kasper, Berggren, Bert and a couple non-first rounders or next year's first would be an easy price to pay. Hell, Kasper and Raymond and a B level prospect would be an easy ask too.
Just who do you expect EP to produce with on the Wings?

Reactions: SoupNazi

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Just who do you expect EP to produce with on the Wings?
I expect him to produce more than Kasper. Even if he had a 20% drop in production because he's on the Wings' he'd still be the best player on the Wings since Z/Dats by a fair margin. In his D+1 year EP was over a PPG in the SHL. Kasper is around 0.5.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I expect him to produce more than Kasper. Even if he had a 20% drop in production because he's on the Wings' he'd still be the best player on the Wings since Z/Dats by a fair margin. In his D+1 year EP was over a PPG in the SHL. Kasper is around 0.5.
Points aren't everything. A guy with the toolkit, motor, and compete of Kasper is not someone I would want to bet against or trade away.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Points aren't everything. A guy with the toolkit, motor, and compete of Kasper is not someone I would want to bet against or trade away.

Except when you get someone who is superior to him. There is no world that Kasper is more useful in 3 years than EP is today. I would even bet that Kasper has less impact in his D+4 year than EP did in his D+2 year.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
"I'm tired of this team wallowing in mediocrity! So let's trade our entire future and depth for an overpaid (or soon to be), under sized, point per game center!"

I wouldn't mind having EP, he's clearly talented...but he can't even help get Vancouver out of the basement. Making a trade for him, and giving up the assets that it would require to get him and retain him, would make us Vancouver east for the foreseeable future. Now, you want to trade a signed Bertuzzi, someone like Wallinder and a 1st this year or next, sure. But no way Vancouver goes for that.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
"I'm tired of this team wallowing in mediocrity! So let's trade our entire future and depth for an overpaid (or soon to be), under sized, point per game center!"

I wouldn't mind having EP, he's clearly talented...but he can't even help get Vancouver out of the basement. Making a trade for him, and giving up the assets that it would require to get him and retain him, would make us Vancouver east for the foreseeable future. Now, you want to trade a signed Bertuzzi, someone like Wallinder and a 1st this year or next, sure. But no way Vancouver goes for that.
Vancouver has allowed 170 goals. The Wings have allowed 139 goals.

It's not a matter of EP underperforming and not carrying the Canucks on his back, it's the fact that their team defense is absolute trash.

EP being completely undersold in this thread.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

They have him and Horvat?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
EP being completely undersold in this thread.
He's absolutely not being undersold. What player in the history of the NHL received a trade package that would be equal to Kasper+Berggren+Bertuzzi+1st?
Or Kasper+Hronek+Wallinder+2023 1st (a potential top 10 pick in a stacked draft)?

Pettersson is a great player but one player doesn't make a team and some of these trade suggestions indicate a belief that Pettersson would carry the team on his own.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupNazi

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I dont think a single poster here, even those of us who have been pumping Kasper's tires prior to him being drafted, has any notion or expectation that Kasper will ever be a point producer like Petterson. However, he will be cost controlled for at least 6 years and is absolutely someone who you win with in the playoffs. He will provide sandpaper and points, which will be more valuable to the team that Yzerman is building compared to Petterson's point production and burdensome next contract. And it's not just Kasper, it will be him, another top prospect, and multiple draft picks. A significant setback for someone who always seems to be miscontent with his situation.

i think i'd do kasper, another top prospect, 1st (2024) and 2nd for EP. i think our team is pretty much set if we can get EP caliber player. however, i guess i'd be more hesitant to go for it if it would take kasper, raymond and high picks/top prospects. as you mentioned, the difference in cap hit between kasper and EP is massive and it matters. and players like kasper tend to be underpaid relative to their value.

there are good reasons for EP to be discontent with the situation in vancouver. they've been among the worst run franchises for the past decade and have little to no chance to become a contender anytime soon. combine that with an horrible owner and i'd want out too.

Reactions: jfrank21

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Thats what I think it'll cost. It's a good debate if you pay the cost to get a guy like Pettersson.

When was the last time a player went for this much? Players always being back less than expected when futures are involved. Edvinsson is already a super high rated prospect, plus Soderblom is doing well, then you are adding 2 more 1sts to the mix. Not saying I want Pettersson because I don't think he is going to be a good bus driver in the playoffs, but the cost isn't 3 1sts essentially and a pretty good prospect.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He's absolutely not being undersold. What player in the history of the NHL received a trade package that would be equal to Kasper+Berggren+Bertuzzi+1st?
Or Kasper+Hronek+Wallinder+2023 1st (a potential top 10 pick in a stacked draft)?

Pettersson is a great player but one player doesn't make a team and some of these trade suggestions indicate a belief that Pettersson would carry the team on his own.
Jack Eichel.
Krebs(Kasper)+ Tuch(Berggren) +1st (1st)+ 2nd (Bert is a UFA useless throw in in this deal)

Players of Pettersson caliber aren't traded every day.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Jack Eichel.
Krebs(Kasper)+ Tuch(Berggren) +1st (1st)+ 2nd (Bert is a UFA useless throw in in this deal)

Both Kasper and our 1st round picks are comparatively a lot more valuable than Krebs and Vegas' 1st.

And you don't "throw in" Bertuzzi if he is a useless throw in. At the TDL he'll return a 1st as a rental and more than that as a longer term acquisition.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Jack Eichel.

And with Buffalo getting a '23 1st, '24 2nd, Tuch, and Krebs was it worth it to Vegas? Tuch has outscored Eichel 83 to 58 since the trade.

Trade packages of that size for a single player almost never work out.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Both Kasper and our 1st round picks are comparatively a lot more valuable than Krebs and Vegas' 1st.

And you don't "throw in" Bertuzzi if he is a useless throw in. At the TDL he'll return a 1st as a rental and more than that as a longer term acquisition.
Eichel was also coming off radical neck surgery whereas Pettersson has been playing the best hockey of his NHL career.

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
And with Buffalo getting a '23 1st, '24 2nd, Tuch, and Krebs was it worth it to Vegas? Tuch has outscored Eichel 83 to 58 since the trade.

Trade packages of that size for a single player almost never work out.
I don't know, I don't think Alex Tuch gets as much ice time or Tage Thompson on his wing in Vegas so I think it's a pretty disingenuous conversation to have about raw point totals.

Eichel was doing very well for them this year and will probably continue to do well for them now that he's healthy again.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I don't know, I don't think Alex Tuch gets as much ice time or Tage Thompson on his wing in Vegas so I think it's a pretty disingenuous conversation to have about raw point totals.

Eichel was doing very well for them this year and will probably continue to do well for them now that he's healthy again.
It's not just raw totals. Tuch's PPG is ahead too. And with 3 more years at $4.75M AAV compared to 3 more years of $10M AAV.

With that many other pieces besides Tuch involved it shouldn't even be close. Eichel needs to be double the player of Tuch. He's not.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It's not just raw totals. Tuch's PPG is ahead too. And with 3 more years at $4.75M AAV compared to 3 more years of $10M AAV.

With that many other pieces besides Tuch involved it shouldn't even be close. Eichel needs to be double the player of Tuch. He's not.
That's not true at all. Very narrow minded way to look at it.

The only thing that matters in a trade is if your team is better after making it or not. Individual statistics for the players may be important to you, but all that really matters is if your team is better for having made the trade.

And I can't say Vegas is a worse team for having made that trade, they're doing pretty well for themselves.

Reactions: MVPete96 and Snuggs

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
That's not true at all. Very narrow minded way to look at it.

The only thing that matters in a trade is if your team is better after making it or not. Individual statistics for the players may be important to you, but all that really matters is if your team is better for having made the trade.

And I can't say Vegas is a worse team for having made that trade, they're doing pretty well for themselves.
Which team gained more? That trade is doing a hell of a lot more for Buffalo than it is for Vegas.

And that would hold true for the Wings. Under no circumstances are the Wings capable of losing as many high end pieces as it would take to trade for EP40.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Which team gained more? That trade is doing a hell of a lot more for Buffalo than it is for Vegas.

And that would hold true for the Wings. Under no circumstances are the Wings capable of losing as many high end pieces as it would take to trade for EP40.
Krebs has less value now than when they traded for him and Tuch has more value now. Tuch is a great player for them but let's not act like the emergence of Tage Thompson hasn't benefitted him at all.

But if Vegas goes on to win the Cup this year I'll go ahead and let them know that Buffalo gained more.
Edit:
Just like the Blues losing a future great young player doesn't matter to them now because it got them a Cup, maybe they don't without ROR.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad