Player Discussion Rudolfs Balcers - LW

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
He had a really good first college year. Just unlikely scoring wise, shot like 8%. He’s progressing nicely as a two way centre, kind of like Colin white at the same age (and I’m high on white for the nhl)

Defensively yes, but not offensively. Which matches his 3/4th line C projection. Meh.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Defensively yes, but not offensively. Which matches his 3/4th line C projection. Meh.
That’s not true. Like I just said, he was very unlucky. He has 2C upside, for sure. That was his first year of college hockey.

It’s the exact same as Tkachuk, unlucky offensive year so his skills and offense will be underrated

Reactions: edguy

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
That’s not true. Like I just said, he was very unlucky. He has 2C upside, for sure. That was his first year of college hockey.

It’s the exact same as Tkachuk, unlucky offensive year so his skills and offense will be underrated

Unlucky, or just not very good offensively? Kinda like Lazar was just unlucky.

2017 NHL Draft prospect profile: Josh Norris is one of the draft’s biggest question marks

“He doesn’t have high-end offensive potential, but his two-way game at a premium position should make him a nice compliment to a team’s bottom-six.”

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Yip, I agree. That was "Future Considerations". This is from ISS:
You realize that is his description at draft time ? It’s been more than a year and he showed nice offense at Michigan. I don’t care if he’s not flashy if he turns into a Bergeron lite

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Yip, I agree. That was "Future Considerations". This is from ISS:
Wow factor doesn't mean much. Very good hockey sense and skating is what i like.

Probably a 2nd line upside. Realistically 3rd line. Which is probably not enough for the player he was trade for as the "center piece"

But it's not is fault he got trade for EK. How on earth can't Dorion get at least Meier. Take of a 2nd and one of Tierney or Demelo and get Meier if neened be...

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
You realize that is his description at draft time ? It’s been more than a year and he showed nice offense at Michigan. I don’t care if he’s not flashy if he turns into a Bergeron lite

Norris scored 7 goals and 23 points in 37 games in his first NCAA season.

As a comparison, let's look at some other prospects that project to be 2nd/3rd liners at the NHL level and their performance as NCAA freshmen:

Colin White: 19 goals and 43 points in 37 games
Shane Bowers: 17 goals and 32 points in 40 games
Luke Kunin: 19 goals and 32 points in 34 games.

Then let's look at the blue-chip 1st line guys:

Jack Eichel: 26 goals and 71 points in 40 games
Clayton Keller: 21 goals and 45 points in 31 games
Brock Boeser: 27 goals and 60 points in 42 games

Norris is not even in the conversation as a 1st line prospect like the Keller's and Boeser's, and based on performance, he had a very disappointing season compared to guys more in his range.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Norris scored 7 goals and 23 points in 37 games in his first NCAA season.

As a comparison, let's look at some other prospects that project to be 2nd/3rd liners at the NHL level and their performance as NCAA freshmen:

Colin White: 19 goals and 43 points in 37 games
Shane Bowers: 17 goals and 32 points in 40 games
Luke Kunin: 19 goals and 32 points in 34 games.

Then let's look at the blue-chip 1st line guys:

Jack Eichel: 26 goals and 71 points in 40 games
Clayton Keller: 21 goals and 45 points in 31 games
Brock Boeser: 27 goals and 60 points in 42 games

Norris is not even in the conversation as a 1st line prospect like the Keller's and Boeser's, and based on performance, he had a very disappointing season compared to guys more in his range.

Thanks, great post.

Wow factor doesn't mean much. Very good hockey sense and skating is what i like.

Probably a 2nd line upside. Realistically 3rd line. Which is probably not enough for the player he was trade for as the "center piece"

But it's not is fault he got trade for EK. How on earth can't Dorion get at least Meier. Take of a 2nd and one of Tierney or Demelo and get Meier if neened be...

Well, that's the crux of my argument. Norris is nice, but not great/wow/special.

Reactions: Vprime

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

I guess we have different opinions of what "nice offense" is. And what is a Bergeron lite? PB is an extremely special player that produces at a 1st line right while being the most dominant defensive center in the game. If you make that "lite" what do you have? Someone who might be the next Chris Tierny?

EDIT: jesus didn't even realize this was the red-nosed reindeer's thread, just following flow of convo. Sorry!

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
I watched Balcers play in Kamloops a few years ago. Very skilled guy, thinks the game well, and had a bit of flare to his game. Skating was just OK, shot was OK, and he was more of a finisher than a guy who drove possession. I would liken him to a Ville Leino type.

Reactions: Sensinitis

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I watched Balcers play in Kamloops a few years ago. Very skilled guy, thinks the game well, and had a bit of flare to his game. Skating was just OK, shot was OK, and he was more of a finisher than a guy who drove possession. I would liken him to a Ville Leino type.

Ouch....Leino comparison...that’s gotta hurt.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Basically a more skilled Chris DiDomenico

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017

Which Leino are we talking about here? The guy in Philly or the guy who gave up in Buffalo?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I am hoping to see him in one of the exhibition games and see what he can do. Gotta admit he does have some pieces to the puzzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad