Player Discussion Rudolfs Balcers - LW

Status
Not open for further replies.

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
Everyone we acquired is decent.

Balcers has skill and might be a 2nd line forward. Most likely, he’s a 3rd line scorer.

Norris is an amazing athlete with smarts and some skill. He might be a 2nd line forward. Most likely, he’s a 3rd line PKer who chips in some secondary scoring.

Tierny is a proven NHLer who can PK and put up some points. He might have 2nd line C upside but most likely, he is a 3C who can slide into the top 6 for short stints.

DeMelo has shown some ability to score at the NHL level. He might have the ability to be a 19-20 min a night DMan. He’s much, much more likely to be a bottom pair DMan for the rest of his career, though.

And then there are the picks, which will almost certainly be between 20-62.

We may very well add 6 pieces that all play more than 14 mins a game for most of their career. The likelihood that we added a 17/18+ min player, though? Extremely low, imo. Draft picks are the wild cards, of course.
Thank you for your assessment. I hope you are correct.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
The first round consists of 31 picks, even if the pick is late in the first rd, it's still a first rd pick, not a 2nd rd pick, those start at 32 to 61 picks. It's an argument people like to use to diminish another person's opinion, but it's not factual. I understand you think that late 1st rd picks don't seem to have any value, but yr after yr after yr there are players picked late in the first rd or anywhere after the 1st rd who turn into excellent NHL players. It all depends on the player not where they were drafted & the importance of good scouting.

Semantics. The point is that the first and second rounder will be very late. Which if you look at percentages of players who made the NHL in those spots is a lot lower than earlier (Duh). So either way you slice it, the first and second is not as valuable as you make it out to be. That's the point.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Semantics. The point is that the first and second rounder will be very late. Which if you look at percentages of players who made the NHL in those spots is a lot lower than earlier (Duh). So either way you slice it, the first and second is not as valuable as you make it out to be. That's the point.
I'd rather have the 1st obviously.. but for sure the bottom 5 1st rounders and the top 5 2nd rounders there is not a lot of separation there usually

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Balcers has a first line skills set. His skating and edge work are outstanding and remind me of latvian Sandis Ozolins, who was a figure skater, before he switched to hockey. His wrist shot close to Hoffmans. Passing game is excellent as well. Sharks made a mistake trading him. He will make a team out of the camp and will be skating next to Duchene.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd rather have the 1st obviously.. but for sure the bottom 5 1st rounders and the top 5 2nd rounders there is not a lot of separation there usually
to put in in perspective, a decent amount of scouting services had our second round pick, tychonick, ahead of our first round pick, bernard docker. there's a lot of variability in lists when you get to the 25-45 range.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
The more I read, the more I like this guy.

If you go PPG in your second pro season I think you have top 6 potential just going off stats.

A rookie leading your AHL team in points is impressive, and the Barracuda were not a bad team by any means.

Look at Mark stone: 38 points in 54 games his rookie year, then 41 pts in 37 games his sophomore season.

So Rudolf outproduced Stone as a rookie, and doesn’t seem to have any glaring question marks in his game like Stone did. He’s not very big, but that shouldn’t hurt him too much as a skill player.

I’m not saying he’s going to be a 60-80 point Selke esquel winger here, just comparing stats.

I think he has a legit shot at cracking the Sens or at least getting a good amount of games on the big squad. He is a really underrated piece of this deal imo.

Last edited:

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Balcers has a first line skills set. His skating and edge work are outstanding and remind me of latvian Sandis Ozolins, who was a figure skater, before he switched to hockey. His wrist shot close to Hoffmans. Passing game is excellent as well. Sharks made a mistake trading him. He will make a team out of the camp and will be skating next to Duchene.

Excellent find.

She has the qualities that a superficial man would find attractive.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Balcers norris who himself is a first rounder then another 1 st round plus second. Sign me up.

Norris being a first rounder is a misnomer. He was a reach in first round and was not ranked very high. That's all he's got going for him right now.

I already stated my thoughts on the 1st and 2nd rounders. Not a "good" package by any means. Balcers is the only one that is interesting.

A good package would have included any of Meier, Merekely or Hertl.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Norris being a first rounder is a misnomer. He was a reach in first round and was not ranked very high. That's all he's got going for him right now.

I already stated my thoughts on the 1st and 2nd rounders. Not a "good" package by any means. Balcers is the only one that is interesting.

Balcers isn’t as good as Norris . Norris has progressed extremely well since being drafted

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Mckenzie/TSN had him 23rd. As did ISS. Some other services did have him lower, but there was certainly a lot out there that saw him as a first rounder.

Reactions: Sensinitis

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I'm gonna believe dorion when he said he got 2 blue chip prospects in norris and balcers. I'm sure sens scouts did their homework. Norris plays a 200 foot game and strong on the puck with a super shot and balcers has high offensive talent . What's not there to like?

Reactions: albator71

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I'm gonna believe dorion when he said he got 2 blue chip prospects in norris and balcers. I'm sure sens scouts did their homework. Norris plays a 200 foot game and strong on the puck with a super shot and balcers has high offensive talent . What's not there to like?

I don't trust Dorion. Norris is of the same ilk as Lazar and Bowers. Safe pick. Nothing special. Maybe he develops into something more than that, but right now I'm not too high on him. Balcers is good. Looks like you've been drinking Dorion's coolaid.

Mckenzie/TSN had him 23rd. As did ISS. Some other services did have him lower, but there was certainly a lot out there that saw him as a first rounder.

Yip, and everyone else had him lower. In any case, he was a surprise pick that high.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I don't trust Dorion. Norris is of the same ilk as Lazar and Bowers. Safe pick. Nothing special. Maybe he develops into something more than that, but right now I'm not too high on him. Balcers is good. Looks like you've been drinking Dorion's coolaid.

Yip, and everyone else had him lower. In any case, he was a surprise pick that high.

Well time will tell if your expert opinion is right!

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Evaluating this deal. If we pile up a huge cohort of prospects in the next 2-3 years, and have a bunch of good young players emerge at the same time , we might be a playoff team in a few seasons. I think the "no-stars" approach might be best for our budget team. Going for a rounded roster with no bank breakers eating up too much salary in one roster slot...but a team that is tough to play against all the way down the roster. If that means dealing stone and Duchene for futures, I'm at least intrigued by the prospect of what could happen with that many stockpiled pieces all coming up together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA