Blue Jays Discussion: Roy Halladay officially inducted in the 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
"Hey Bo, we hear your concerns and we definitely agree that you've reached the point where you're ready to take the next step and see what you can do in the majors, but we have a bit of a logjam on the roster right now and a lot of infielders who are performing well. The last thing we want is for you to come up and spend a bunch of time on the bench. Within the next two weeks we'll move out a veteran or two and the everyday SS role will be yours. Your time is almost here... just hold tight."

Or they could punish him, I guess.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
obi-wan-disturbance-in-the-force.gif

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
OK, he was asked a very pointy question and answered it the way anyone would. 99% of people in competitive jobs if they are asked "Hey, you ready for the next step and much more money" they' answer the same.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
5 bold predictions ahead of MLB's trade deadline

Blue Jays get huge prospect package from Twins for Stroman, Giles

cropped_GettyImages-1151665505.jpg

Kathryn Riley / Getty Images Sport / Getty
Plenty of Blue Jays fans (correctly) would rather see Toronto extend its ace right-hander than trade him, but a package bursting with high-end prospects might help ease the pain. Minnesota was already linked to the Blue Jays in relation to both Marcus Stroman and closer Ken Giles, and the Twins are in a fairly good position to offer the moon. The Blue Jays don't appear to have room for shortstop Royce Lewis with Bo Bichette on the way, but outfielder Alex Kirilloff would have to be part of any deal. Additionally, one or both of Brusdar Graterol and Jordan Balazovic would help bolster the future pitching staff. Minnesota isn't far removed from having one of baseball's worst farm systems, and this trade would undo a lot of good work. With Cleveland breathing down the Twins' necks, however, this move could be worth the investment if it helps solidify a deep playoff run. - Jason Wilson

Sign me up if we are getting Kirilloff and Graterol.

Balazovic is from Mississauga with a live arm, control and 3 pitches. He is probably a top 5 Twins prospect after this season. I’ll probably be more interested in him that Graterol.

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
So, to the posters who know stuff.

Gurriel Jr.

Is this the real deal that we have for the next 5 years+?
Or is this a hot streak? He's an absolute shining star on this poor team, can we expect a average near .300 every year? Combined with good power and good defense?

Or do the numbers project a decline?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
5 bold predictions ahead of MLB's trade deadline

Sign me up if we are getting Kirilloff and Graterol.

Balazovic is from Mississauga with a live arm, control and 3 pitches. He is probably a top 5 Twins prospect after this season. I’ll probably be more interested in him that Graterol.

Yeah, that's in line with what we talked about last week essentially. They'd have to outbid the Astros, Yankees, Braves, Dodgers, Rays and Nats, at minimum, so I can't see them getting away with not including Kirilloff.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Yeah, that's in line with what we talked about last week essentially. They'd have to outbid the Astros, Yankees, Braves, Dodgers, Rays and Nats, at minimum, so I can't see them getting away with not including Kirilloff.

Could be wrong but i thought you were asking for Kirilloff in a Stroman deal. This is Kiriloff+ for Stroman and Giles. Which makes sense value wise but for me i still have a hard time believing the Twins would trade 6-7 years of a potential star OF for 1.5 years of Stroman and Giles, its possible, just seems unlikely the way baseball has been going.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Wilmer Font (who?) to the Jays from the Mets for cash, per the team.

29 years old, throws 94-96, has 5 years of control and most importantly not Edwin Jackson.

Likely turns out to be nothing but depth as he has been a negative WAR player everywhere except when he was with the Rays and the bench coach there was Montoyo so maybe he can provide some innings.

WAR with the Rays: 0.6 fWAR in 41 innings
WAR with TEX/LA/A's/NYM: -1.5 fWAR in 51 innings

Jays actually signed him in 2016 and after a mediocre stint in the minors, he went to the Dodgers in 2017 and had a breakout minor league season increasing his k% but it never translated to the big leagues for him.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
MLB trade deadline: One deal for every team, including Madison Bumgarner and Marcus Stroman to AL contenders

BLUE JAYS
Blue Jays trade Marcus Stroman to the Astros for a prospect package, including an upper-tier one: The Blue Jays continue to transition to a new core, and while they should consider re-signing Marcus Stroman, we think a trade is more likely. Dipping into Houston's system and trying to net Kyle Tucker (trying being the key word) would be an all right consolation prize.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Matching 7 contenders with Deadline targets

6) Braves
Need: Pitching
Number: 3.69 ERA for Atlanta relievers, best in the NL
Suggestion: Blue Jays RHP Marcus Stroman
Atlanta’s bullpen has performed so well recently that general manager Alex Anthopoulos may decide to make a run at a starting pitcher with an eye toward the postseason. The Braves are going to win the NL East for the second straight season, but they probably need more to make a legitimate run at getting past the Dodgers in October.

The 10 biggest Deadline deals of the decade

1. July 30, 2015: LHP David Price goes from the Tigers to the Blue Jays for LHP Daniel Norris, LHP Jairo Labourt and LHP Matthew Boyd
It is difficult to overstate how much everyone wanted Price at the 2015 Deadline, and that the Blue Jays, a long-suffering team that hadn’t made the playoffs in more than 20 years, went out and did it, was tremendously exciting. They also traded for Troy Tulowitzki, and the results were immediate and overwhelming; seven games out of first at the time of the trade, they went 41-18 the rest of the season and won the American League East.

They ultimately bowed out in the ALCS against the Royals, partly because, if you’ll remember, they were using Price out of the bullpen. But this remains the ultimate “all-chips-in” trade. Also look at the Minor Leaguer involved whom you didn’t even think about at the time: Matthew Boyd!

6. July 27, 2011: Cardinals trade OF Colby Rasmus, RHP P.J. Walters, RHP Trever Miller and LHP Brian Tallet in a three-team deal and receive LHP Marc Rzepczynski, RHP Octavio Dotel and RHP Edwin Jackson
This was universally considered a horrific trade for the Cardinals at the time; ESPN’s Keith Law saw it as manager Tony La Russa forcing out a valuable young player he disliked. He wasn’t necessarily wrong, but boy did it turn out perfect for the Cardinals. Jackson was a rotation mainstay, and Rzepczynski and Dotel immediately shored up a faulty bullpen that the Cardinals would, somehow, ride all the way to a World Series victory in La Russa’s final game as manager. And Rasmus ended up frustrating a lot more managers than just La Russa.

Law applauding the Jays, Edwin Jackson a mainstay on a WS team. What time to be alive.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

Bo with a 2 HR game today

Also if/when Giles is traded should Zach Jackson not get his spot in the pen? not as closer but just get called up?

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Bo with a 2 HR game today

Also if/when Giles is traded should Zach Jackson not get his spot in the pen? not as closer but just get called up?

Never heard of ruining a prospect if you left them in the minors leagues too long but there have been many examples rushing and ruining them.

Bichette should be finishing the season in AAA. He is 21 and has played less than 200 games above A ball and he has even played less minor league games than Vladdy did in his minor league career. Plus he is coming off an injury, like it or not there are things Bo needs to work on and there is no incentive for the team to bring him up now. He still needs to develop his game and that shouldnt be done at the major league level.

A 115 wRC+ in AAA over 45 games doesnt scream to me this guy needs to be called up. He has a 60 grade power tool with only 34 HRs across 4 seasons and only 5 in 49 games this season. In AAA he as a 50% ground ball rate... personally he finishes the season in AAA and unless he shows his game is ready, he is starting the season in AAA in 2020 and might be there until the middle of the summer for me.

Bo Bichette: "Well F you phillipmike"

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
If you could only have one (plus some other potential adds if you don't feel its enough) for Stroman and Giles who would you guys take:

Pache (15th on FG)
Tucker (17th)
Kirilloff (42nd)

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
If you could only have one (plus some other potential adds if you don't feel its enough) for Stroman and Giles who would you guys take:

Pache (15th on FG)
Tucker (17th)
Kirilloff (42nd)

Damn that’s tough, like really tough. Pache reminds me of a young pillar with a better bat, thank could be a 4-7 WAR player. He would fit in perfectly long term at CF, a huge need for this team. However this is a turning point season for Pache, he can keep this progression and you can get an average bat to good/great to go with elite defense.

But I think Tucker and Kirilloff are the better prospects because of their bats.

I reluctantly rank them;
1. Kirilloff
2. Tucker
3. Pache

Depends if you want a slight risk and bet on Pache’s bat. But I think Kirilloff’s approach and bat is too good to pass up.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

Gurriel Jr.

Or is this a hot streak? He's an absolute shining star on this poor team, can we expect a average near .300 every year? Combined with good power and good defense?

I think his average will be around what was projected, around .270. I do believe his power numbers will be better than projected. He's going to be a streaky hitter.

His defense in LF has a slight negative rating but I think he will improve there.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Gurriel Jr.

A little of both, really.

What we saw for the last few weeks prior to the all-star break when he went nuts and was mashing like crazy is probably a bit of a hot streak/mirage. He's not going to be a thundering middle-of-the-order bat more than likely.

But he is likely better than what he was projected to be when he came up (utility guy with fringe-average offensive tools that are enough to keep him in the lineup if he shows positional versatility).

Just over the last 3 weeks to a month or so his offense has cooled off some from where he was at the hottest, likely as as a result of pitchers figuring out how to adjust to him as well as just natural regression to his norms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad