Blue Jays Discussion: Roy Halladay officially inducted in the 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Jays still have lots of holes to fill. They need some more big bats in the middle of the lineup. A 1B, DH and corner OF are still needed. Telez is not a long term option. So I don’t care if Stroman returns pitching or a position player such as Frazier. Pitching and more hitting are required anyways.
1B and DH are not holes the fill. Vlad will soon be at first. Dh should be left open for off days to give guys rest. Maybe if for some reason we wanted to you add EE for nostalgia I guess. We really don’t need to worry about that. Outfield we could use some help. Pitching is a true weakness

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
Get the best talent available if you're truly hell bent on moving Stroman. I don't see why we aren't trying to resign him. In another year or 2 we'll be looking to pick up another Stroman when the team is on the come up. Sure history shows that pitchers of his size don't age well but this is a new generation of athlete. This guy clearly has a tremendous work ethic.

But if we are so inclined I say best talent available. We can use all the help we can get at this point.

Reactions: Brown Dog

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The new generation pitcher has a very short life span. Even more reason to not want him.

Pitchers of any generation always had a short lifespan. It's not really any worse now. It just looks worse because historically we look back and remember the prominent names who survived to have long careers and forget all the guys that fell by the wayside. It's just survivorship bias.

That said, I'm fine with trading Stroman because he's at peak value for a trade and is only going to get more expensive financially and more risky health-wise from this point onward. But it's the same conclusion that I would reach no matter what era we're talking about.

EDIT: For what it's worth, this study is looking at players in general and not just pitchers, but the average career length for players is increasing as time goes on.

A rookie debuting between 1902 and 1945 could expect his career to last 4.3 years
A rookie that debus between 1946 and 1968 expected to last 6.47 years
A rookie making his debut from 1968 to the time that the study ended in 1993* lasted 6.85 years

*the 1993 cut off was used because back in 2007 when this study was commissioned there was still a lot of players who debuted in the mid 90s onward still playing at that point)

Last edited:

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Should be a simple call from Atkins to explain the situation to him. He'll probably be up in like 2 weeks if/when they move Galvis.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't think we have a vet with 2 years or less on his contract that wont be moved if you can get quality assets

Depends on how much they value "veteran leadership" in the room.

However there are some guys I'm sure you could acquire for cheap because they are overpriced or simply not that good to do the same thing, and quite frankly as long as they still have the mind for the game and aren't locker room poison, that's all you need.

Reactions: The MoNaRcH

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Not sure what’s up with Nick Allgeyer.
Killin’ it all year up until really scuffling last handful of starts.
Dead arm? Injury?

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
1B and DH are not holes the fill. Vlad will soon be at first. Dh should be left open for off days to give guys rest. Maybe if for some reason we wanted to you add EE for nostalgia I guess. We really don’t need to worry about that. Outfield we could use some help. Pitching is a true weakness
OK so we don’t need a 1B if we move Guerrero to 1B. Now we need a 3B.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What point would they be proving by keeping him down because of the comments?

“We decide when you’re ready, not you.”

I’m not saying it’s the right thing to do, or anything like that, but it would be far from the first time making comments about management backfires for athletes.

But if they were considering bringing him up, that’s certainly been pushed off due to these comments.

It kinda reminds me when Eric Fehr spoke out to media saying both he and Dom Moore disliked rotating in and out and it doesn’t let them be at the top of their game never knowing when they will play.

Next day, he was put on waivers, sent down, and within the month was loaned out of the organization.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
“We decide when you’re ready, not you.”

I’m not saying it’s the right thing to do, or anything like that, but it would be far from the first time making comments about management backfires for athletes.

But if they were considering bringing him up, that’s certainly been pushed off due to these comments.

If they were considering bringing him up and him saying he thinks he's ready changes that, I think that would be incredibly stupid.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Galvis or Soogard will be dealt prior to deadline opening a spot for Bichette the rest of the season at SS. The other option is to DFA Drury to make a spot.

Either way Bichette probably is up prior to next long weekend.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Comes off as a bit entitled

He was asked a question and gave an honest answer that didn't disrespect anyone, I don't see the problem at all.

I really hope management's decision isn't influenced by some harmless comments.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Never heard of ruining a prospect if you left them in the minors leagues too long but there have been many examples rushing and ruining them.

Bichette should be finishing the season in AAA. He is 21 and has played less than 200 games above A ball and he has even played less minor league games than Vladdy did in his minor league career. Plus he is coming off an injury, like it or not there are things Bo needs to work on and there is no incentive for the team to bring him up now. He still needs to develop his game and that shouldnt be done at the major league level.

A 115 wRC+ in AAA over 45 games doesnt scream to me this guy needs to be called up. He has a 60 grade power tool with only 34 HRs across 4 seasons and only 5 in 49 games this season. In AAA he as a 50% ground ball rate... personally he finishes the season in AAA and unless he shows his game is ready, he is starting the season in AAA in 2020 and might be there until the middle of the summer for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig