Blue Jays Discussion: Roy Halladay elected to 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame class

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
the 3 batter rules is stupid. The only clear way to shorten game times is to reduce commercials and theyre obviously not going to do that.

I'd rather stay for the extra few minutes than have the league keep tinkering with the game. Of course gotta appease those casual fans :rolleyes:

It’s actually “young” fans they’re trying to reach. I get that they want to speed up the pace, but is this best way?
It’d be interesting to see if there is any run or production differential as a result.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I'm a little surprised there's any support for this from the league since pitching changes provide bonus advertising opportunities.
Because they want to keep people interested and constant pitching changes turns people away

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Fun fact, every name on the list combined for a fWAR of 28.4 in the ten years since that list. If Vlad Jr played according to MLB.com's standard ten year projection, he would nearly double them by himself with a 52.1 WAR

It just shows what a mess JP left the Jays in developmentally. No international FAs on that list. Jays had little to no influence there. AA built it up and the current regime has improved it even more.

And for comparisons sake, the list last year. Toronto Blue Jays Top 20 Prospects for 2018 They had too many C+ prospects to list. While the 2008 list had 7 C level prospects in the top 20.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
It just shows what a mess JP left the Jays in developmentally. No international FAs on that list. Jays had little to no influence there. AA built it up and the current regime has improved it even more.

And for comparisons sake, the list last year. Toronto Blue Jays Top 20 Prospects for 2018 They had too many C+ prospects to list. While the 2008 list had 7 C level prospects in the top 20.

Ricciardi's love for being conservative and drafting college players was maddening. Honestly looking back in the Jays history its easily the worst stretch of the Jays franchise. Didn't only hurt in the short term but didn't leave any lasting effect whatsoever.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Ricciardi's love for being conservative and drafting college players was maddening. Honestly looking back in the Jays history its easily the worst stretch of the Jays franchise. Didn't only hurt in the short term but didn't leave any lasting effect whatsoever.

If he was just average or even slightly below average at drafting I believe the Jays make the playoffs once or twice in his tenure and Halladay likely stays.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
If he was just average or even slightly below average at drafting I believe the Jays make the playoffs once or twice in his tenure and Halladay likely stays.

Those were some horrendous prospect times. Ricciardi completely ignored the international market and high school players. That's literally 2/3 of your talent pool. He took a team with some very good young players and one of the best farm systems coming in and left it as destitute as a Venezuelan dictator.

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
One of the names I wouldn't mind the Jays taking a flier on is pitcher Robert Stephenson of the Reds. Stephenson is a former top 100 prospect that struggled with command and a fastball that was getting torched by advanced hitters along with an inconsistent curveball. He is now 25, and is coming off an interesting year at AAA in which he paced the International League with a 16% swinging-strike rate as a starter which is really really good along with a 2.87 ERA and 3.86 FIP. Control continues to elude him with a 12.2% walk rate at AAA, but the swing and miss stuff is legit. What has me interested in him is the addition of an utterly dominant slider (23.8% whiff rate in 2017 and 18.2% this year in his small sample in the majors) to his repertoire which gives him 2 plus breaking balls (changeup also misses plenty of bats) along with a fastball that averaged about 93 MPH while pitching mostly as a starter meaning there could be more in a bullpen role. There’s a non-zero chance he’s still a starter, and if acquired I think you bring him to Spring Training and hope he earns a rotation spot but his stuff would also play really well in a bullpen role. A lot of the prospect shine is gone off him at this point and he’s likely not a dude that would cost an arm and a leg acquire, but there is enough upside there imo to take a chance on him.

Reactions: phillipmike

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
He's a sleeper for me. He's got some pop that can be unlocked and would be good for a 2b

Its still an amazing trade for me... amazing might be an overstatement but a good pen arm for a few months and we get a likely 6th starter with backend potential and a lottery ticket 2B with real tools.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Fangraph's words;
Vlad: Cornerstone of the Sport
Bichette: Likely All Star
Jansen: Potential All Star
Pearson: Aroldis Chapman-like
Groshan: Josh Donaldson
Smith: Jordy Mercer comparable (2 WAR player)
Kloffenstien: Michael Kopech parallels (expects Kloffenstien to hit 100mph in a few years)
Pardinho: Zack Grienke type benchmark when looking at his stuff

McKiney: Seth Smith-like
TJ Zech: Doug Fister

Thought would be higher:
21, Young
23. Alford
NR. Noda, Pannone, Winckowski, Warmoth, Adams

Thought would be lower:
6. SRF
8. Kloffenstein
10. Thornton
11. Mckinney
15. Jiminez

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Fangraph's words;
Vlad: Cornerstone of the Sport
Bichette: Likely All Star
Jansen: Potential All Star
Pearson: Aroldis Chapman-like
Groshan: Josh Donaldson
Smith: Jordy Mercer comparable (2 WAR player)
Kloffenstien: Michael Kopech parallels (expects Kloffenstien to hit 100mph in a few years)
Pardinho: Zack Grienke type benchmark when looking at his stuff

McKiney: Seth Smith-like
TJ Zech: Doug Fister

Thought would be higher:
21, Young
23. Alford
NR. Noda, Pannone, Winckowski, Warmoth, Adams

Thought would be lower:
6. SRF
8. Kloffenstein
10. Thornton
11. Mckinney
15. Jiminez

Thornton was the biggest surprise for me. I kinda like Thornton as a rotation option for this year and maybe a backend guy down the road, but they're pretty high on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad