Series Talk: Round Two | Waiting on a (familiar) foe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
For the record... PPG Paints has "Stars on Ice" this Friday. So if it's Columbus, i would imagine Saturday is the start. Unless NBC would be crazy and want us on NBC on Sunday, instead of NBC Sports.

If Caps win tonight - I fully believe it will be Thursday - Sunday afternoon or Thursday - Saturday evening.
I'm expecting Thursday if the Caps win tonight, Saturday if the Jackets win tonight, regardless of what happens with Toronto or with Caps/Jackets game 7.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It's going to be a battle, I'll say that much. Both teams hate us, and both teams will be feeling confident. If the Caps are the team, they will have come back from 0-2 which should give them confidence.

If the Jackets are the team, they'll have beaten the top Metro team and come back from down 3-2.

That said, the Pens should have all the confidence in the world too. The wild card for us is Malkin's health. If he's hobbled, we're a very beatable team. If he's able to play at a high level, then neither team looks capable of matching us.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
No idea why people think Holtby is significantly better than Bob. Both have stellar regular season records and both get lit up by the Pens in playoffs. Holtby is winning games, but still giving up 3 a night. I’d call them a wash.

I'll bite on this. I think Holtby has been good. He was the only reason the Caps didn't lose that game in the 3rd, in my opinion. Or at least he's much better than Grubs was.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm expecting Thursday if the Caps win tonight, Saturday if the Jackets win tonight, regardless of what happens with Toronto or with Caps/Jackets game 7.
The earliest is thursday, if it goes seven saturday. Totally agree, like.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I like our chances against either team, although either team can beat us. No preference.

Actually, I would rather start at home. So give me the CBJ’s
I like our chances against the bluejackets a bit better, but my guess is we'd be favored over either.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
I'm guessing they will do whatever it takes to get Caps/Pens on Sunday right? great, im fishing that day :(

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'm guessing they will do whatever it takes to get Caps/Pens on Sunday right? great, im fishing that day :(

If they do, that'd mean Friday/Sunday probably.

I wonder which series will get marquee billing if it it's Bruins/Tampa Pit/CBJ. I guess they might lean Boston in that case for the Sunday game though I dunno.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If they do, that'd mean Friday/Sunday probably.

I wonder which series will get marquee billing if it it's Bruins/Tampa Pit/CBJ. I guess they might lean Boston in that case for the Sunday game though I dunno.
I don't think the caps arena is open Friday

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I haven't been around a whole bunch lately due to work but I haven't seen Empoleon either for awhile. He still around?

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm rooting for:
  1. A Game 7
  2. Washington
  3. Columbus
I want Pens-Caps 4.
Every Cup we've won in the Crosby-era, we've had to go through Washington to do it.
Every time in the 2nd round.
Every time as the lower seed.

I will take mega heat for this. When Washington finally beats us. Whether it's this year or another. I don't know if i can even be mad. We are 10-1 against them. That is absurd. And we rubbed it in their face w/ Cups. That's.... absurd. :laugh:

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I will take mega heat for this. When Washington finally beats us. Whether it's this year or another. I don't know if i can even be mad. We are 10-1 against them. That is absurd. And we rubbed it in their face w/ Cups. That's.... absurd. :laugh:

The 3 Crosby-era playoff series against the Caps were all coinflips that could have gone either way in my opinion. On paper I would favor the Pens this season more than I would any previous season, but you never know who will be hot, cold or injured. I'd rather play Columbus because of home ice. I know others are minimizing that importance over recent results, but it has shown to make a difference in the long-term.

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The 3 Crosby-era playoff series against the Caps were all coinflips that could have gone either way in my opinion. On paper I would favor the Pens this season more than I would any previous season, but you never know who will be hot, cold or injured. I'd rather play Columbus because of home ice. I know others are minimizing that importance over recent results, but it has shown to make a difference in the long-term.

Totally agree. Murray being a little hot and cold, geno/horny/kess/hags all injured in some way, and just how hockey is unpredictable. Anyone's game.

Reactions: KIRK

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Totally agree. Murray being a little hot and cold, geno/horny/kess/hags all injured in some way, and just how hockey is unpredictable. Anyone's game.

I think it's gonna be Boston vs Tampa. We need to hope and pray that goes 7 and that they each extract their pound of flesh for us to get by either. Last two years we got really lucky with few injuries. Entire 2nd line + our rock of a goalie being iffy...that's enough to sink a team.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

With the parity, every series is like this.

Even without Malkin, we have Jake, Kessel Crosby with Letang on the blue line. That should be enough game changers with a cast of players like Rust, Hornqvist, and Brassard.

If we have to go up against Tampa, that is when I’ll start worrying about the other team’s roster.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

I don't care if Washington beats the Pens, chances are it will happen eventually. Remember when Philly beat the Pens at home for something ridiculous like 20 years in a row? I know that is exaggerating but not by much. Every streak like that ends.

The only thing that I ask is that it does not end until Ovechkin has retired.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't care if Washington beats the Pens, chances are it will happen eventually. Remember when Philly beat the Pens at home for something ridiculous like 20 years in a row? I know that is exaggerating but not by much. Every streak like that ends.

The only thing that I ask is that it does not end until Ovechkin has retired.

It would almost be hilarious if the season the Caps finally beat the Pens in the playoffs is the very first season AFTER Ovechkin has retired.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It would almost be hilarious if the season the Caps finally beat the Pens in the playoffs is the very first season AFTER Ovechkin has retired.

written-done.gif

Reactions: Andy99 and ColePens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad