Series Talk: Round Two | Waiting on a (familiar) foe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Put me down in the "Don't care" column. If the pens are fit and focused enough, we'll beat either. If not... risky business, but there we go.

Right now, the things I'm most afraid of are loose east west passes and Geno's knee.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Put me down in the "Don't care" column. If the pens are fit and focused enough, we'll beat either. If not... risky business, but there we go.

Right now, the things I'm most afraid of are loose east west passes and Geno's knee.

I'm hoping the fact Geno was able to play the rest of the game after the injury bodes well for it not being too serious.

Then again, knowing our luck with injuries, it might end up being the type of injury doctors say he should have been pulled from the game immediately for.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm hoping the fact Geno was able to play the rest of the game after the injury bodes well for it not being too serious.

Then again, knowing our luck with injuries, it might end up being the type of injury doctors say he should have been pulled from the game immediately for.

He'll then contract a brand new super virus at the hospital.

I think I prefer your first paragraph tbh :P

Oh well. Crosby-Brassard-Sheahan should still get things done if the rest of the team shows. Which means good Murray, a third pairing that doesn't get picked apart (with the resulting consequence of Letang playing too much) and maybe a fortunate injury on the 4th line.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
After years of finding the hardest teams in the first two rounds, it seems to me that we are on the "easier" path this year until the ECF. I think that we can win against both WAS or CBJ, but then it's going to be hell bent in the possible ECF against TBL or, especially, BOS (man if only TOR could pull it off against BOS).

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Dont care, let that series go seven with another OT. Even though the Caps are much weaker this year (no Justin Williams or Nate Schmidt - both awesome vs us), i think the fact Holtby hasn't played 90 games this year will mean hes a little less worn down. He might be able to pull off a win for them in the first 2 games and make it interesting. Cbus just doesn't seem threatening at all.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Doesnt matter as long as it goes to game 7. So Ill be cheering hard for Columbus today. Would hopefully help with Phil, Horny, and Malkin. As for Hags, Im assuming he got a concussion with the high hit, so he will either be ready by game 1 or hes out long term, dont see a lot of middle ground with concussions anymore.

Unless the Leafs pull out a series win, the Caps/CBJ will be the weakest team in the second round to me.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Battle of the bridesmaids.. game six. Nice to relax and watch these two losers fight for the right to job for the Penguins.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
At this point the Pens have five forwards who are capable of averaging 1.0+ PPG throughout the playoffs. Then you have Tier 2/3 depth like Brassard, Sheary, Rust, Hags and Sheahan who can put up around 0.5 PPG. Letang still at or around 1.0 PPG, a half-functioning Schultz at 0.5 PPG along with Maatta and bizzarro Dumoulin. That's a lot for opponents to have to deal with.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I don't like series' going 6-7 games. But in a seven game series I like the Pens odds.

They are wildly inconsistent. But as long as they don't ever lose two games in a row, they'll have a great shot to win the series.

How do you gameplan against inconsistency? Will they play team d today? Is it stretch passes? Dump ins? Special teams? It's the ultimate strategy. No one can play against you if you don't know what you're doing!

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
I don't like series' going 6-7 games. But in a seven game series I like the Pens odds.

They are wildly inconsistent. But as long as they don't ever lose two games in a row, they'll have a great shot to win the series.

How do you gameplan against inconsistency? Will they play team d today? Is it stretch passes? Dump ins? Special teams? It's the ultimate strategy. No one can play against you if you don't know what you're doing!
One of the biggest keys and has been for the past couple of years is not losing back to back games. Yes, inconsistent in many other ways, but somehow, someway we manage to bounce back really well in the POs.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

It's like having an entire team of letangs.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The BJ's are tanking to avoid the Pens again. Bold strategy.

In all seriousness, so long as Malkin and Hagelin get reasonably healthy, I think the Pens beat either. Murray has been up and down, but I think there would be enough up games to get by these 2 teams. I wouldn't be totally shocked if either beat the Pens, especially the Caps, but I like the Pens' chance.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Both capable opponents but i still believe CBJ is the tougher matchup who can play at the pace PIT plays at.
The bonus with them is Bob is notoriously bad vs PIT.

WSH on the other hand play a more euro style/can be out paced by PIT with a few bangers/crashers but have D that are susceptible to bad play with the higher pace.
Have the better goaltending tho...

Since WSH are up 3-2 now, i believe they'll close it out now so preparing for it to be them unless their Rd2 woes change to Rd1 this time...

All that being said, my preference is WSH and we've been better on the road so it would start there.

Really just hope the injured F's are ready to go Game 1 and focus on our game more than worry about which opponent we'll get. That includes Phil and Brass getting healthier.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'd like to see the Caps, but i'l be rooting for CBJ tonight to send the series to 7 games.

To be honest though the series will come down to Murray.

If he plays well the Pens will beat either one, if he doesn't they will lose to either one.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Don't care. as long as we get I won 2 stanley cups murray we beat either team. If Murray is .907 save percentage of the regular season we will lose. I know it's more involved then just that, but we need big murr to bail us out at key times. I thought this last series he was great 2 games, not good 2 games, and kinda ok the other two. We shouldnt have to score 5-6 goals a game to beat our opponent. We are kinda in the head of both opposing potential goalies so we should win the goalie duel regardless.

Return of the Paek

Jun 19, 2016
Does anyone have any information on when the next series would start under all 3 scenarios?

1.Caps in 6
2. Caps in 7
3. CBJ in 7

I guess the Wizards could play a role in it. I am just looking ballpark. FWIW, Wizards are at home this Friday.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Does anyone have any information on when the next series would start under all 3 scenarios?

1.Caps in 6
2. Caps in 7
3. CBJ in 7

I guess the Wizards could play a role in it. I am just looking ballpark. FWIW, Wizards are at home this Friday.

Easiest thing is just to look at the arena's calendar for concerts/events. Washington's arena is being used Friday for bball so most likely thursday/saturday would be it depending on what game it goes to if the Caps win. I haven't checked our arena if we hosted Game 1 against the Jackets.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
It would be so Caps if they rallied from an 0-2 series deficit to win 3 straight, only to lose Games 6 and 7. :laugh:

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Return of the Paek

Jun 19, 2016
Easiest thing is just to look at the arena's calendar for concerts/events. Washington's arena is being used Friday for bball so most likely thursday/saturday would be it depending on what game it goes to if the Caps win. I haven't checked our arena if we hosted Game 1 against the Jackets.

Thanks. I guess if the Caps/CBJ goes to a game 7, we might be into Saturday /Sunday for the start?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Thanks. I guess if the Caps/CBJ goes to a game 7, we might be into Saturday /Sunday for the start?

For the record... PPG Paints has "Stars on Ice" this Friday. So if it's Columbus, i would imagine Saturday is the start. Unless NBC would be crazy and want us on NBC on Sunday, instead of NBC Sports.

If Caps win tonight - I fully believe it will be Thursday - Sunday afternoon or Thursday - Saturday evening.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
No idea why people think Holtby is significantly better than Bob. Both have stellar regular season records and both get lit up by the Pens in playoffs. Holtby is winning games, but still giving up 3 a night. I’d call them a wash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad