Series Talk: Round Two | Waiting on a (familiar) foe

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Pens are better but Caps 3 years in a row? 3rd time a charm for them or will we officially be the cause of their blowup to the team?

Id rather face Bob and the Jackets but the Pens at their best, should beat either.

If its Caps. We will likely have to beat Holtby for 2 games...and then Grub for another 2. Another round facing 2 goalies. :laugh:

Would think the Jackets would have to stick with Bob no matter what.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
2f227e8eb6e728d52a7f8ed328d05c3f.jpg

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think the Caps will be our opponents hopefully their series goes 7 but I think the Blue Jackets are done

The Jackets look bad in that series. I know they get some shots on net, but they don't seem the dangerous variety. A lot of their shots just seem to be random shots at net that have almost a zero percent chance of going in.

I'm especially surprised by their lack of grit. A guy like Dubinsky usually plays with more of a nasty side. This series, it's like he's trying to re-invent himself as a Lady Byng candidate.

Only players who look halfway talented against the Caps have been Panarin, Atkinson, and the two guys on the blueline (Jones and Werenski). Everyone else has ranged from meh to looking like they wouldn't beat out Kuhnhackl or Rowney for a spot on the Pens.

So I'd be SHOCKED if the Caps aren't the Pens' 2nd round opponents.

Reactions: Andy99

dig1

Mar 1, 2015
I dont know. I watched the Caps vs CBJ series, all of the games. I dont like the Beagle and Eller line matchups with the Pens lines. CBJ on the other hand -- shut down Panarin and we are good to go. That is the most dangerous player on CBJ.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
As much as I'd like to completely break the Caps' spirit, I really don't want to tempt fate again.

That and with the Jackets coming off their first ever series win...theyd be out of their element come round 2. Caps have choked in round 2 the last few years but they are so used to it by now...they might just stumble their way to a 2nd round victory. Certainly wont feel pressured. I dont think there would be much thought at all from them..just go out there and play.

But if they go up 2-1 and then 3-2 in the series and we come back to take it to 7? Forget about it.

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
I wonder with the Pens in the next round waiting for the winner makes the Caps lose some focus tomorrow. Wonder if we are in their heads already and might cost them game 6.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
The longer we have to wait the better.

Good for the guys that need to heal...bad for our first line that is on fire. First one is more important. Line 1 can always get going game 2. So yes, the more rest the better. Since there isnt much of that going into the ECF and Finals. This is the time to heal up a bit

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I dont know. I watched the Caps vs CBJ series, all of the games. I dont like the Beagle and Eller line matchups with the Pens lines. CBJ on the other hand -- shut down Panarin and we are good to go. That is the most dangerous player on CBJ.
Burakovsky is injured so the Caps have Chandler Stevenson on their 2nd line.

Eller is a good player but their winger depth isn't nearly as good as it was in the past due to the aforementioned injury and cap consequences.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Penguins are a better team this year than last. Caps are a worse team.

I don't see the Jackets coming back in that series. Bob hasn't been the problem and one of the reasons it has been close.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Good for the guys that need to heal...bad for our first line that is on fire. First one is more important. Line 1 can always get going game 2. So yes, the more rest the better. Since there isnt much of that going into the ECF and Finals. This is the time to heal up a bit
Obviously if we play CBJ that series goes seven. That's my preference, I'm sick of playing the Caps.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I picked the Caps before the first round started to advance against CBJ. And unfortunately I think that will happen. I actually think the Caps have a great chance to beat the Pens if they can be more defensively consistent....better chance then CBJ....also odds of winning three in a row against them?
they played a really solid game against us the last time we played them and Grubauer was killer...if they can play the same way and get good goaltending, they have a good chance...which Holtby or Grubs will show up though?...on the other hand, which Murray?
A series against the Caps could easily go 7 games....

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Either team is going to be a tough go.

Oshie, Ovie, and Wilson are beasts against us. If we don’t have Malkin, it’ll be tough to go against them.

CBJs have the combo of Jones, Panarin, Werenski. We got lucky last year that we broke Werenski’s jaw. Dubois and Calvert are exactly the type of players that will stir shit.

Should be a good series either way, and honesty with the way we abused these two fan bases / teams they deserve a win against us. Hopefully it isn’t this year. Much like I felt versus Nash or San Jose, those fan bases are awesome and who cares.

Reactions: ColePens

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I picked the Caps before the first round started to advance against CBJ. And unfortunately I think that will happen. I actually think the Caps have a great chance to beat the Pens if they can be more defensively consistent....better chance then CBJ....also odds of winning three in a row against them?
they played a really solid game against us the last time we played them and Grubauer was killer...if they can play the same way and get good goaltending, they have a good chance...which Holtby or Grubs will show up though?...on the other hand, which Murray?
A series against the Caps could easily go 7 games....
I think there's a lot of truth to what you're saying here. I wouldn't take either team lightly, that said the Caps are more formidable down the middle, and that's an area we have a decided advantage at against the Jackets. Even if Geno misses a game or two.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Ehh ..I changed my mind. After beating the Caps last year I thought that would be the end of it..their fans finally learned. "Blow it up, we will never beat the pens"

After reading their board now since they won 3 in a row..."Pens D is weak and Murray looks like trash, we will take advantage" .

Time for another lesson.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Ehh ..I changed my mind. After beating the Capa last year I thought that would be the end of it..their fans finally learned. "Blow it up, we will never beat the pens"

After reading their board now since they won 3 in a row..."Pens D is weak and Murray looks like trash, we will take advantage" .

Time for another lesson.
Truthfully, I don't think we want to play the Caps. And if we do play them lets hope their current series goes seven. We don't really know how Geno is doing. He could be out for a week or so.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Teams with gamebreakers scare me more than teams with "depth" but not much in the way of multiple elite talents because I think our defensive breakdowns could hurt us more against players who only need one opportunity to bury the puck, as opposed to players who need a truckload of opportunities to do so.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Truthfully, I don't think we want to play the Caps. And if we do play them lets hope their current series goes seven. We don't really know how Geno is doing. He could be out for a week or so.

If you are worried about the Caps...cant imagine how youll be if we are in the ECF against Boston/Tampa

SidsIpad already went missing. Dont want to lose you too .

Reactions: PENSFAN234
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad