Series Talk: Round Two | Pittsburgh Penguins take on the Washington Capitals... again (Caps Win 4-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I feel pretty confident in saying the Pens will outplay the Caps tonight, but outplaying them doesn't mean your going to win.

If Caps win it will be because Holtby stole it or Murray blew it.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Put Brassard on a line with someone who can score. What use are 4 lines when only one can finish, last time I checked possessing the puck means nothing if you don't put it in the net. Let the Caps 4th line hold the puck in our end of the rink, they can't score either.

Key to the game is to stay out of the box and limit the stupid pinches. Easier said than done but if we do it, I hope at least one of our stars will have a monster game and this will be enough for the win.

Brass played his best game in a Pens uniform last game, i wouldn't touch his line.

Reactions: Pengwins

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Bryan Rust is a player whose had an underwhelming series but Caps just seem to be his kryptonite. Here's Rust's career playoff stats:

vs. Capitals - 18 games 1+0
vs. rest - 39 games 15+5

That lone goal against Caps was a big one though, GWG in game 7 last year.

But still, for whatever reason Rust has not been able to produce against the Capitals. Here's hoping that to change tonight.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
How do you overcome Letang playing poorly, Kessel obviously hobbled by something, and Murray just not being lights out? I think these players are just too important in the system the Pens play to poorly in the most important games of the year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
How do you overcome Letang playing poorly, Kessel obviously hobbled by something, and Murray just not being lights out? I think these players are just too important in the system the Pens play to poorly in the most important games of the year.

You win.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Letang plays a simple, great game tonight.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

If Backstrom doesn't play this is one ugly looking lineup.

Hes suppose to have a hand injury, can you have a hand injury that isn't a broken hand?

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
The entire problem with post-neck injury Letang is that you can say "I wouldn't be surprised if..." about him and have it apply to almost any scenario. I wouldn't be surprised if he put up four points tonight. I wouldn't be surprised if he allows five odd man rushes. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays a simple game. I wouldn't be surprised if he does the strip tease from Slap Shot. Just about anything is possible and that's what frightening as a fan.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The entire problem with post-neck injury Letang is that you can say "I wouldn't be surprised if..." about him and have it apply to almost any scenario. I wouldn't be surprised if he put up four points tonight. I wouldn't be surprised if he allows five odd man rushes. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays a simple game. I wouldn't be surprised if he does the strip tease from Slap Shot. Just about anything is possible and that's what frightening as a fan.

First off, is there a D we can’t say that about on our D-core outside of Dumo?

Second, how many # 1 defensemen can you say that about? Look at Buff stepping up and being a rock after arguably his worst season last year. Karlsson has a terrible season and Doughty was a major reason why the Kings got swept.

That’s the thing about a 16 win tournament, it’s the best players that string together a consistent effort.

Reactions: RizzleMcRib

turd

Feb 1, 2013

If Backstrom doesn't play this is one ugly looking lineup.

Hes suppose to have a hand injury, can you have a hand injury that isn't a broken hand?

Yeah, that is not a lineup that should be able to hang with the Pens. But the Pens are fully capable of letting them hang around. I’m hopeful we see repeat performances of games 5 and 6 of last year’s Cup Final. If they can summon that energy and commitment, they’ll be a tough out. Not saying they’re going to come back and win the series, but I just hope they don’t beat themselves.

Reactions: ncm7772

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Their PP is a lot less dangerous without him threading passes to Carlson, Oshie and Ovy.

Plus the center advantage becomes enormous. No reason why we shouldn’t have 2 lines rolling in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad