Series Talk: Round Two | Pittsburgh Penguins take on the Washington Capitals... again (Caps Win 4-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Maybe they give him game 6 off and if it goes 7 he plays no matter what? I want to say I saw something yesterday saying he was going to play tonight...

Trotz was quoted yesterday as saying he would play tonight....who knows..I’ll just say that him not being at practice is meaningless as to whether or not he’ll play...it’s clear he’s dealing with a hand injury

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
First off, is there a D we can’t say that about on our D-core outside of Dumo?

Second, how many # 1 defensemen can you say that about? Look at Buff stepping up and being a rock after arguably his worst season last year. Karlsson has a terrible season and Doughty was a major reason why the Kings got swept.

That’s the thing about a 16 win tournament, it’s the best players that string together a consistent effort.

There's no other D on the team who has the peaks and valleys in play that Letang does. The difference between good Letang and bad Letang is so glaring, that's why folks notice it more than bad Maatta. Bad Maatta and good Maatta aren't so different while Letang is Jekyll and Hyde. Aside from Murray, who has not been himself consistently since the last concussion, Letang is the scariest player on the roster right now. And if we'd get some puck luck, it wouldn't even matter because we'd have won this series by now.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
There's no other D on the team who has the peaks and valleys in play that Letang does. The difference between good Letang and bad Letang is so glaring, that's why folks notice it more than bad Maatta. Bad Maatta and good Maatta aren't so different while Letang is Jekyll and Hyde. Aside from Murray, who has not been himself consistently since the last concussion, Letang is the scariest player on the roster right now. And if we'd get some puck luck, it wouldn't even matter because we'd have won this series by now.

Really? Because Maatta has blown three close games in recent memory in Washington, Ottawa and Tampa.

My point is that the script can flip so quickly. People were saying Nashville’s D was overrated without the puck after Game 3, they came back and won Game 4.

Let’s wait to write off Letang after we lose the series.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I think we already saw the character over the last couple years. If they fail tonight, I still say we celebrate. It's been an epic time under Sully.

while I agree whole heartedly with the spirit of this.
Part of me is looking at this as the time is now. We have a potent team, Crosby is firing on all cylinders, so is Guentz, Malkin is rounding back into form. We just don't know how things will play out next season or the next. We've seen playoffs with both Crosby and Malkin out. Each playoff run is it's own microcosm. I appreciate greatly the ride the last couple of season, but right now, we are a better team then the Capitals. To bow out when we are actually playing better then our opposition would be extremely frustrating.

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
Really? Because Maatta has blown three close games in recent memory in Washington, Ottawa and Tampa.

My point is that the script can flip so quickly. People were saying Nashville’s D was overrated without the puck after Game 3, they came back and won Game 4.

Let’s wait to write off Letang after we lose the series.

Your point is that you defend Letang to the death. Which is fine. I haven't written him off at all and don't think we will get value if we cut bait after this season. I'd prefer he figure it out and provide value to this team. I just don't think it's happening this playoff.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Part of me is looking at this as the time is now. We have a potent team, Crosby is firing on all cylinders, so is Guentz, Malkin is rounding back into form. We just don't know how things will play out next season or the next. We've seen playoffs with both Crosby and Malkin out. Each playoff run is it's own microcosm. I appreciate greatly the ride the last couple of season, but right now, we are a better team then the Capitals. To bow out when we are actually playing better then our opposition would be extremely frustrating.

I think the point you have to realize is the best team in history never 3 peated.

Also ironically, one of their D lost it for them on a miscue.

Reactions: zero8771

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Oh we definitely wasted the best of Jake/Sid. That's for sure. That's the only sad part. But you cannot win a cup with 1 or 2 guys:

- Kessel: Hurt/not himself. Really struggling. Can't happen at the most important time.

- Murray: Not playing poorly but also not playing god-like. We knew when we left MAF we had a goalie with less ceiling but a higher floor. We wouldn't have the high highs and the low lows. I could say Mur has been okay. Right now we need MAF round 2 last year or Murray SCF last year.

- Brass/Sheary/Rust: All 3 have the same issue. They look great but the finish isn't there.

- Letang legit losing a game for us after all the stuff above is going on is unacceptable.

- Geno was hurt. Hags was hurt. Kessel HAS to be hurt. Dumo was injured for a game.

I mean it's about luck, too. All that stuff not going our way is definitely all going into the blender and why we are down 3-2. And we aren't even dead yet with ALL of that going on. Impressive. But this is why back-to-back is impossible let alone 3peats. It happens to every team.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
First off, is there a D we can’t say that about on our D-core outside of Dumo?

Second, how many # 1 defensemen can you say that about? Look at Buff stepping up and being a rock after arguably his worst season last year. Karlsson has a terrible season and Doughty was a major reason why the Kings got swept.

That’s the thing about a 16 win tournament, it’s the best players that string together a consistent effort.
I'd say Schultz and Ruh are pretty consistent in addition to Dumo.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Wait...Trotz is allowed to make his roster a game time decision? thought home teams are only allowed that at the last minute? he probably plays though, they have never beaten us in Ovy era or made it out of round 2, he will be playing even with a bad hand.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Starting to get nervous about this game. I just hope we start well and get an early goal, settle the nerves.

psu711

Jan 29, 2007
Allentown
Win or go home...

Brass to L1 wing. Move Riley to L3 C and double shift someone if/when L4 is out.

If that is too crazy, rust to L1... anyone but Simon.. Christ, put Letang on L1 wing at this point...

We all knew D was going to be an issue when you watch a warrior like Ian Cole leave and not be replaced.

What else an be said about 58 at this point?

Murray not playing at superstar level but getting constantly hung out to dry. Holtby outplaying him.

He needs to steal us a game or 2.

Phil, If he isnt 100% healthy limit his minutes and FFS keep him off PP1.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Wait...Trotz is allowed to make his roster a game time decision? thought home teams are only allowed that at the last minute? he probably plays though, they have never beaten us in Ovy era or made it out of round 2, he will be playing even with a bad hand.
I don’t know. Some on the Washington board seem to think that since Trotz didn’t use a placeholder for him in their lineup this morning, that he won’t play. I guess Trotz will usually just throw someone in a person’s spot (i.e. what he did for Oshie earlier in the series) but the combos will remain the same. But with completely different lines, and moving Eller up the depth chart, some of their fans seemed to think that’s an indication that Backstrom ain’t playing. Guess we’ll find out in about five hours.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I would add that if Simon is playing anywhere other than the fourth line, it’s a disaster...he’s done less than nothing and has actively hurt the team ...

Sully needs to put Horny or even Rust back on line 1....

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I don’t know. Some on the Washington board seem to think that since Trotz didn’t use a placeholder for him in their lineup this morning, that he won’t play. I guess Trotz will usually just throw someone in a person’s spot (i.e. what he did for Oshie earlier in the series) but the combos will remain the same. But with completely different lines, and moving Eller up the depth chart, some of their fans seemed to think that’s an indication that Backstrom ain’t playing. Guess we’ll find out in about five hours.
Find it hard to believe as a few days rest wont heal his hands magically. They have 2 chances to beat us finally, don't think they wanna waste it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->