Series Talk: Round Two | Pittsburgh Penguins take on the Washington Capitals... again (Caps Win 4-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Basically the pens need to finish chances... they are getting them, but have too many posts flubs and outright misses... this team is uber creative but lacks that finisher mentality... Maatta's late chance down 1 is unfortunately the standard for this team so far this series...

Reactions: NewAgeOutlaw

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Who has been the better team in the series isn't even worth debating IMO. It has been so razor close that whether you are a glass-half-full or glass-half-empty type of person will tip it one way or another. Bad calls/non-calls, bad goals, and horrendous, inexplicable gaffes have changed games, but the overall play has been basically equal.

Having said that, I don't hate the Pens chances going forward. The Caps are likely without Backstrom or at the very least a diminished Backstrom. They are without Wilson for 1 more. The Pens are about as healthy as they can be. Murray usually bounces back after a loss. IF it does get to Game 7, it being in Washington is good for the Pens, I think. They will have so much pressure on them. Getting to the ECF for the first time. Beating the Pens for the first time. They would be coming off a loss. If anything goes wrong for them, they and their fans could start the "here we go again" thinking and feed off of each other. First things first, though, gotta get it to Game 7.

Reactions: ncm7772

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I suppose I'd be more discouraged if the Pens offense wasn't generating scoring chances. They are, so a slight change in fourtune could easily change these 2-3 goal outings into a 4-5 goal outburst. I actually think the Pens are going to blowout the Caps tonight, so there's that.

Bnat66

May 10, 2017
New Jersey
To put it into perspective, The Predators are facing elimination against the Jets. Both SCF teams from last year facing elimination.

Tunez33

Mar 29, 2013
Just need mr elimination game rust and a couple other players to step up and finish today. And stop with the turnovers and foolish plays and we will win

bigkam

Jun 13, 2009
Holtby is running hot and lucky right now, and that's been a bad combination. That said, we had a litany of golden opportunities to put Game 5 away, and some of our top players were unable to convert. If that doesn't change tonight, we are heading for the golf course.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
At the end of the day.

Holtby has a .944 sv percentage 5v5 and Murray is sitting at .906

Its not all on Murray as we have had way too many breakdowns/odd man rushes against but in the end they are burying their chances and we are not.
Yeah Holtby is playing better than Murray, but not to the degree that the stats indicate. Those save percentages also factor in that they are taking advantage of our breakdowns and we are missing some wide open chances. Some of that is Holtby bailing them out when Murray isn't, but some of that is simply us missing the net.

Reactions: UnrealMachine

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Game 5 is still pissing me off now I've looked at it again. Should have been 3-2 to us. Damn it.

I'm expecting a better performance from us tonight. Take it to 7, anything can happen

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
At the end of the day.

Holtby has a .944 sv percentage 5v5 and Murray is sitting at .906

Its not all on Murray as we have had way too many breakdowns/odd man rushes against but in the end they are burying their chances and we are not.

The Caps have taken the Pens model from last year—opportunistic scoring and very good goaltending—and have run with it...the Pens are having the same problems they had for most of the year: PDO is bad, shooting % is down and goaltending is inconsistent....

Just feel the Pens lack the mojo from recent Cup runs....what we need is G to predict a win today or something (Subban just did it, but G has been an excellent prognosticator)....the comments coming from the team after last game were so wooden and emotionless, just felt like they already feel defeated...hope I’m wrong...

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The Caps have taken the Pens model from last year—opportunistic scoring and very good goaltending—and have run with it...the Pens are having the same problems they had for most of the year: PDO is bad, shooting % is down and goaltending is inconsistent....

Just feel the Pens lack the mojo from recent Cup runs....what we need is G to predict a win today or something (Subban just did it, but G has been an excellent prognosticator)....the comments coming from the team after last game were so wooden and emotionless, just felt like they already feel defeated...hope I’m wrong...
They were probably still in shock at what Letang did. I know I am.

Bnat66

May 10, 2017
New Jersey
This article is spot on:
"Kris Letang is hurting the Pittsburgh Penguins. And helping them. And hurting them again. The Penguins defenseman’s up and down season has continued in the playoffs. Letang was one of the best Penguins in Game 4. His glaring mistakes in Game 5 gifted the Washington Capitals the game-tying and game-winning goals."

Kingerski: Stop Gambling on Kris Letang, Bet on Justin Schultz

TrudeauG

Jul 2, 2017
Letang's benn on skis. He can't even talk his funny talk.

Can he say Fouuuuur! What a maroon.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Is it wrong I'm secretly hoping the pens lose to the capitals so they can be spared the utter humiliation that Tampa will inflict upon any they face?
I'd much rather see the Capitals humiliated by Tampa instead of Pittsburgh.

Not wrong, just odd IMO. I'd rather my team win than lose. Much more preferable to make to the ECF and lose.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Just need mr elimination game rust and a couple other players to step up and finish today.

For someone who has been known as a clutch playoff performer in his short career, he's been a huge disappointment this series. Even more frustrating because I thought he was very solid late in the first round.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Put Brassard on a line with someone who can score. What use are 4 lines when only one can finish, last time I checked possessing the puck means nothing if you don't put it in the net. Let the Caps 4th line hold the puck in our end of the rink, they can't score either.

Key to the game is to stay out of the box and limit the stupid pinches. Easier said than done but if we do it, I hope at least one of our stars will have a monster game and this will be enough for the win.

Reactions: ncm7772

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Key to the game is to stay out of the box and limit the stupid pinches.

I'm pretty sure the whistles will be put away for both teams except puck over glass type penalties.

This wouldn't be exactly a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad