Series Talk: Round Two | Pittsburgh Penguins take on the Washington Capitals... again (Caps Win 4-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Man. I love all these people that come out of nowhere to berate the team when they're in a tough position.

This is the Penguins fanbase I know!

We’ve had an obscene amount of riches, therefore expectations are going to be off the charts.

It’s just like when the pats lose in the super bowl and it’s considered a colossal failure.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
We’ve had an obscene amount of riches, therefore expectations are going to be off the charts.

It’s just like when the pats lose in the super bowl and it’s considered a colossal failure.

Shouldn't be that way, though. In my opinion, these maniacs that berate the team either don't actually watch the games, or they just don't understand that the Cup is the hardest championship in North American sports to win. Or both. Yeah, probably both.

I just love how everyone thinks our boys are gonna get killed tomorrow. Nice to have no pressure!

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
In his last four games, MAF has given up 4..3..4..3.

He’s not doing any better than Murray, despite having much better defensive structure around him.
And yet his SV% for the round was still among the best (.925) even before recording a shutout tonight.

Edit: he was tied for best sv% in round 2 with Hellebuyck (.925) and now holds that distinction alone at .934. That gives MAF the best SV% in both round 1 and round 2. Hellebuyck needs something like a 35 save shutout to pass him for round 2.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
And yet his SV% for the round was still among the best (.925) even before recording a shutout tonight.

Edit: he was tied for best sv% in round 2 with Hellebuyck (.925) and now holds that distinction alone at .934. That gives MAF the best SV% in both round 1 and round 2. Hellebuyck needs something like a 35 save shutout to pass him for round 2.

His save percentage in those four games was .906, which is about average.

He sandwiched those avg games with SOs, which is impressive, but let’s not act like he was playing lights out in those four games.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY

You a Pittsburgh or VGK fan?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pens run a half ice overload and basically have the D1 pressure the puck while the D2 and F1 swap responsibilities to shade at home.

It’s basically designed to cut the ice in half, which is why you will notice the weak side point look so wide open at times.

They could switch to a box/1, but in the end every coverage has a weakness, and most mistakes happen in either coverage because the D2 and F1 aren’t on the same page. Other times it will be the F3 who fails to shade the slot, which is probably what I’ve noticed the most this series.

So, for the most part, it's been the F3 not really doing what he's supposed to be doing? Because the breakdown seems to happen not because of the guys closest to the boards involved in the puck battle or supporting it, but because there ends up being an opposition player open with no one close enough to either cut off the pass to him or take away his space before he can shoot. From an untrained eye, it's like there's no one standing in the slot to take away chances that pop out from the corner.

Considering they seem to be having so much trouble, wouldn't it be better to switch to maybe a more conservative (if that's the word) defensive zone system where other than the guy engaging the puck carrier along the boards, the other four guys box out the front of the net and give the opposition nothing but long range looks?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Is it wrong I'm secretly hoping the pens lose to the capitals so they can be spared the utter humiliation that Tampa will inflict upon any they face?
I'd much rather see the Capitals humiliated by Tampa instead of Pittsburgh.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is it wrong I'm secretly hoping the pens lose to the capitals so they can be spared the utter humiliation that Tampa will inflict upon any they face?
I'd much rather see the Capitals humiliated by Tampa instead of Pittsburgh.

Uh? I'd rather the opposite. I'd rather the Pens come back and crush the Caps' dreams once again, even if it means getting swept by the Lightning the next round.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Uh? I'd rather the opposite. I'd rather the Pens come back and crush the Caps' dreams once again, even if it means getting swept by the Lightning the next round.

Well, don't get me wrong I f***ing hate the Capitals. Public Enemy #1 and it's not even close.
BUT, I really feel like the Penguins beat themselves with some Tanger assistance. Capitals team is pure trash that makes the most of the chances the pens give them. Opportunistic at best. Dominate, not in the least.

Heck, maybe the pens (if they get there) beat Tampa, but I donno. They look so damn good. So good.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
LOL. What?

Lightning look freaking good. Like really really good. Did you watch their game today?
Ok fine, I hope we beat the Capitals and even if that means facing Tampa Bay Thanos fine.

I don't see how it's any different than those who say they don't mind losing to anyone besides Flyers or Capitals.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
This notion that we simply can't win is weird to me, and it's way more people than you. Sid and Geno are really good. We always have at worst puncher's chance in any series imo.
Me? OF COURSE I WANT THEM TO WIN!@
I'm just saying that Tampa is good. Really, really, really, really really really really good and healthy.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Me? OF COURSE I WANT THEM TO WIN!@
I'm just saying that Tampa is good. Really, really, really, really really really really good and healthy.
you're right. and we might lose. But I'm not ruling us out before we lose 4 games.

I've shamed myself =/
simpsons-pitchforks.gif

Reactions: shoplifter

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Lightning look freaking good. Like really really good. Did you watch their game today?
Ok fine, I hope we beat the Capitals and even if that means facing Tampa Bay Thanos fine.

I don't see how it's any different than those who say they don't mind losing to anyone besides Flyers or Capitals.

I mean, I’ve been saying Tampa was good since June or July.

I’d still rather see the Penguins play them than the Caps.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I mean, I’ve been saying Tampa was good since June or July.

I’d still rather see the Penguins play them than the Caps.
Yeah me too. I'm already nervous for tomorrow. I can't take defeat, but I do feel pretty confident it's going 7 games.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
At the end of the day it's Penguins vs Capitals. I know how I see this playing out. And if I'm wrong there's still no way the Caps beat Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad