Pre-Game Talk: ROUND THREE | GAME SIX| Tuesday | 8:00 p.m. EST |

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
Hard to blame fans for not wanting to spend lots of money on seeing the team get blown out.

Ottawa needs their 7th player more than ever. Its a mentality like this, that will ensure their fate is sealed by the end of the 3rd period.

Last time I checked, you have tons of proud men in that locker room.

Being blown out, or failure, is sometimes the best thing that can happen to a hockey team. Nothing will teach you harder, and in this case, more needed lessons.

Ottawa, did not adjust for the goaltender change. In Fleury, they had a rattled goaltender, who they went in trying to repeat performances on, and pour in 4-5 goals.

They ran into a well rested Murray, who calmed the storm, when they should've stuck to their defensive game plan.

They tried to force the play, vs what made them successful. Controlled attack, and overall letting the play come to them.

You're essentially going to have a more focused, angry and determined hockey team.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
None of these people are going to want to drop 300 and risk wasting their money seeing the team get embarrassed like they did last night and to a much lesser extent like they did for a big chunk of game 4.

That's just weak logic, on the behalf of the fans that would think that way. A blowout, is a sign of a team needing to regroup and focus.

Revisit what gained them success, and go back to the drawing board.

A blowout, is the last thing you want to do to a hockey team in the playoffs. It fuels their fire. If they were sleeping, it wakes them up.

It makes them go from standing still and complacent, to moving with a steely resolve and purpose.

They did get some success on Murray, and its essentially building from that, and forgetting about the past.

To me, a 7 - 0 loss is great advertisement. You're about to see a Senators team, as hungry as its ever been.

Type of fan who'd skip such a game if they had the time and money, is the type of person who'd kick someone when they're down. Loud fans, have a way of bringing the best out of people.

Karl Eriksson56

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa
All of the senator's major media outlets should be talking about these empty seats.....only reason i bought tickets tonight was because of this thread

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
That's just weak logic, on the behalf of the fans that would think that way. A blowout, is a sign of a team needing to regroup and focus.

Revisit what gained them success, and go back to the drawing board.

A blowout, is the last thing you want to do to a hockey team in the playoffs. It fuels their fire. If they were sleeping, it wakes them up.

It makes them go from standing still and complacent, to moving with a steely resolve and purpose.

They did get some success on Murray, and its essentially building from that, and forgetting about the past.

To me, a 7 - 0 loss is great advertisement. You're about to see a Senators team, as hungry as its ever been.

Type of fan who'd skip such a game if they had the time and money, is the type of person who'd kick someone when they're down. Loud fans, have a way of bringing the best out of people.

How is it weak logic that casual/bandwagon fans are required to sell out a game for a team that does not have much corporate support and those types of fans are going to have trepidation about spending 300 bucks on a pair of tickets if they think the Sens might get blown out again?

A 7-0 loss is not great advertising. That's absurd. The average person isn't going to think that the Sens are going to bounce back because they were embarrassed, they are going to think "Man I would have gone to that game but I really don't want to regret dropping 300 dollars on a boring ass game where Ottawa gets destroyed".

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
How is it weak logic that casual/bandwagon fans are required to sell out a game for a team that does not have much corporate support and those types of fans are going to have trepidation about spending 300 bucks on a pair of tickets if they think the Sens might get blown out again?

A 7-0 loss is not great advertising. That's absurd. The average person isn't going to think that the Sens are going to bounce back because they were embarrassed, they are going to think "Man I would have gone to that game but I really don't want to regret dropping 300 dollars on a boring ass game where Ottawa gets destroyed".

Where are you getting 300 dollars from? The nosebleeds are the ones that aren't selling and they are 120+ a piece atm.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
prior to the blowout yesterday we've already seen a 7-1 and a 7-0 game during the playoffs. Both of those losing teams won the series.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
prior to the blowout yesterday we've already seen a 7-1 and a 7-0 game during the playoffs. Both of those losing teams won the series.

The Sens can win tomorrow and win the series. They have come back from a lot of adversity thus far this post season. Although a win is far from guaranteed, they shouldn't be written off just yet.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007

A 7-0 loss isn't advertising. Its just a game. One game. One loss.

You go to the next game, to show support, as a fan, so they can have the best possible chance to win the next one.

Its the knowing that Stanley cup eastern conference finals don't come along every year. Its living in the moment, which is what playoffs are about.

Its understanding there is no such thing as momentum in the playoffs. Its just--the next game. Teams that understand this, succeed, even under the worst of adversity.

All the greats who have their names on the cup, I guarantee you have showcased an ability to bounce back from utter defeat.

Look at Patrick Roy's stats after a loss. Look at Martin Brodeur.

I'm not comparing the Senators goaltender to them, but rather the fact that bouncing back is about having a short memory (something the team has showcased year long, and all playoffs long).

I think its poor logic, to think they may get blown out again, when considering how the playoffs work.

A bandwaggon fan will jump when the team is doing good. They're two wins from a finals appearance. If that doesn't rate as "good", considering our last few years--I don't think I'll understand the logic.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
A 7-0 loss isn't advertising. Its just a game. One game. One loss.

I think its poor logic, to think they may get blown out again, when considering how the playoffs work

Egg in the post I initially responded to said:
To me, a 7 - 0 loss is great advertisement.

??????

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Even if they do get blow out i want to be there to cheer them on and then cheer to say thank you for one Hell of a playoff ride.

Can't ask for better home games.

They have been exhilarating and exciting to watch and the vibe in the building has been amazing. I mean even game 4 wasn't an L until the clock hit 0...never gave up and things could be so different if that Turris post finds the back of the net.

I prefer when they win but to say you are wasting your money if they lose is a trait only a loser would have.

You go for the experience in all its good and bad forms.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The team on the ice, the GM and the coach have done their job. This is on corporate, which is a gong show obviously and has let their fan base get so far away from them they don't even know how to engage them beyond begging to buy tickets.

Every Sens fan is a die hard, how that doesn't translate into going to the stadium is bizarre. Going to the CTC used to be special, I know people who turn down free tickets because it's the opposite of special.

Frig

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
If you're counting 240 for 2 people that's still 120 a piece. Reasonable for a ticket in the ECF

120 vs 150 a ticket is both in the same tier of being a lot of money to spend on a single night out. It doesn't really make a difference to my point which is that casual/bandwagon fans are required to sell out a game for a team that does not have much corporate support and those types of fans are going to have trepidation about spending 300 bucks (oops 240 bucks) on a pair of tickets if they think the Sens might get blown out again?

120 is reasonable if you're a hardcore fan who is going to buy tickets regardless of cost, but from the spectrum of casual fans who are needed to sell out games 120 is obviously not reasonable enough given the handicaps of this market because the game has not sold out.

You have to consider that those other teams that charge more than the Sens are charging can do it because they have a corporate/season ticket base that limits the number of tickets actually available to those wanting to buy single game tickets and have larger populations to draw from. The Senators have considerably more supply to sell than teams like Toronto or Montreal and considerably less people to sell it to. That is why Sens tickets are cheaper....

It's not like Eugene Melnyk is some philanthropic visionary selling discount hockey tickets to the masses and we're all too ignorant and spoiled to know how good we have it. The Senators simply have more supply than there is demand due to some key factors outside their control (again population to draw from/corporate support) compared to those teams who sell more expensive playoff tickets that cause you to claim Sens tickets are reasonably priced.

You claimed Sens not selling out is embaressing, as did others on twitter. I don't think it's embaressing when you consider the handicaps the Senators have to work with. It's understandable. It's incredibly annoying because we're gonna have to sit through the Ottawa=not real hockey town posts for the next 6 months, but it's not embaressing.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Change 300 to 240 in my post and does it really alter the point all that much?

$240 comes to $276 all in so $300 is not far off, and does not include parking. Ottawa is a small market with minor corporate support, and this is real money from a budget that is just not feasible for a lot of folks.

Pricing is guaged to maximize the gate, and that does not mean filling every seat as doing it cheap enough to sell out 100% for sure would lower the total gate.

I don't sweat it if attendance is a bit shy, the finance guys are doing careful calculations on pricing to push it as high as the market will take.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There are a lot of reasons this yr for people not going to games starting with the price. The Phoenix fiasco & people not getting paid has probably hurt ticket sales to a degree. The recent flood for people living along the Ottawa River may have hurt some ticket sales during the playoffs but IMO the biggest reason could be the gouging of ticket prices, parking, beer & food. Let's face it not everyone can afford to go to games & for a good portion of this area may not even be Sens fans. The vast majority across the river are Hab fans & we know how many Leaf fans there are in Ottawa & then a number of other team fans. It's still kind of sad though that there just doesn't seem to be a big enough Sens hockey base here in the city after 25 yrs but there is one for the CFL REDBLACKS now that they are back & have won a cup. Funny that or not. I know of several people who have cancelled their Sens season ticket package for a REDBLACKS season ticket package, they say it's more fun & warmer during the summer.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Nobody aside from bandwagon fans who come and go anyways are folding on the team.

The types of fans who help games sell out, especially in a city like Ottawa with a small population and minimal corporate support are the same type of fans who loosely follow in the regular season and then jump on the band wagon when things are going well.....that's not exclusive to Ottawa, that goes for almost every sport in every city. It's more evident in Ottawa when these type of fans drop off because we don't have the corporate support like other cities have that minimize the amount of single tickets initially available to each game. Not to mention, we also have a very very small population to draw from compared to other Canadian teams (I bring this up since the narrative some people seem to put fourth seems to be OMG A CANADIAN TEAM DIDN'T SELL OUT A PLAYOFF GAME ALL CANADIAN TEAMS=EQUAL PLAYING FIELD BECAUSE NATIONAL ANTHEM IS THE SAME), especially when you consider this is a transplant city that even prior to the franchise coming in was infested with 70 years worth of Leafs and Canadiens fans.

I don't get what you're embarrassed about the team not selling out tomorrow. Are you embarrassed that the climate of an NHL team in Ottawa makes it more evident when casual fans are too afraid or too disinterested to spend their money on the product? I would say it's more annoying than embaressing if the team doesn't sell out because it means we have to listen to weeks worth of the Ottawa=not real hockey town like good old Torontah ignorant narrative.

We have had NHL hockey for 25 years, please spare the lecture about the marketplace and population and blah blah blah. It is pathetic and embarrassing, but not as much as your posts trying to condone what can only be seen as lousy fanbase.

Last edited:

alfierulestheworld

Apr 19, 2012
We have had NHl hockey for 25 years, please spare the lecture about the marketplace and population and blah blah blah. It is pathetic and embarrassing, but not as much as your posts trying to condone what can only be seen as lousy fanbase.

Bang on!!

THis is joke, game 6 of the ECF and the same ol excuses. Look at all these "fans" selling their tickets for 50% of face value rather than go to the game, after 1 horrid game.

The majority of the fan base doesnt deserve a championship....

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
We have had NHl hockey for 25 years, please spare the lecture about the marketplace and population and blah blah blah. It is pathetic and embarrassing, but not as much as your posts trying to condone what can only be seen as lousy fanbase.

Yeah we've managed to keep an NHL team in a small market city with an arena built on what was farmland in the middle of nowhere for 25 years. Only a lousy fanbase would be able to accomplish that.

Acknowledging the handicap of having to sell considerably more single game tickets than other Canadian franchise to a considerably smaller population than the teams who our tickets are considered "reasonably priced" compared to us pathetic and embaressing. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad