GDT: Round Dos, Game Uno: Blues @ Avalanche (9:30pm ET / 7:30pm MT)

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I think the Blues are the easiest second round opponent this core has had (once you factor in injuries against Dallas).

If the Avs lose this series, barring a bunch of injuries, it's a huge disappointment.

I think the declining sharks are easier. We should have beaten them.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I wouldn't say the blues are easier but we are better this year and healthier.
They definitely are. Vegas last year was a Top 3 team, they tied us for the presidents trophy remember.

The Blues are more in line with Dallas/San Jose. I would say they're a little better then the Sharks, roughly the same as Dallas.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
The fact that this is the only season that Sakic made a legit push at the deadline is a little upsetting to me.

Wouldn't have mattered. Graves, Timmins, and whoever they would have gotten other than Nemeth would still have been too high on the depth chart

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland

What a concept. Play their best players tight!

1652809767210.png

Oh and btw. We will simply delete Blues.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think the declining sharks are easier. We should have beaten them.

In hindsight, Grubauer was clearly not the answer. He wasn't good enough in that series, and he wasn't even close to good enough the following postseason against the Golden Blights. A more stacked roster maybe would've eked them past the

I'm also still irrationally angry at Landeskog for that insanely lazy change (and also Nemeth for just sitting there and not opening the damned gate) that led to the GTG getting called back.

Do I wish the Avs had been a little more proactive in those intervening seasons? Yeah, kinda. I've harped for years that they waited WAY too long to cut bait on Jost, among other things.

But...what's done is done. They're at least going for it THIS year, we'll see if the gambit pays off.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
One luxury Berube has this time around is more depth up front. That killed him in the previous first round series. He tried to use ROR as his top shutdown guy, but in doing so he couldn't use ROR to generate any offense. THIS time around he can do that and not necessarily worry about the Blues not scoring. Thomas, Kyrou, and others can pick up the slack whereas that wasn't the case a year ago.

Will definitely need to see better hockey from one Mr. Kadri--he was pretty mediocre in those four games against the Preds.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Wouldn't have mattered. Graves, Timmins, and whoever they would have gotten other than Nemeth would still have been too high on the depth chart
I mean that’s the point. Why Sakic opted for Nemeth instead of a legit upgrade is infuriating. Or leaving Jost as the 3C as long as he did. Just a little more aggression could’ve balanced this team out a few years ago and now we wouldn’t have only one legit all in year like we do right now. Just not the most efficient way to manage a contention window imo.

Reactions: The Moops

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I mean that’s the point. Why Sakic opted for Nemeth instead of a legit upgrade is infuriating. Or leaving Jost as the 3C as long as he did. Just a little more aggression could’ve balanced this team out a few years ago and now we wouldn’t have only one legit all in year like we do right now. Just not the most efficient way to manage a contention window imo.

It was a bad year. iirc David Savard got a 1st +, same with Foligno

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Blues should win this easy. Avs coming off a long break reading all the good headlines about them. They probably thought they won the cup in Round 1 against the Nashville Ingrams.

I think the Blues are the easiest second round opponent this core has had (once you factor in injuries against Dallas).

If the Avs lose this series, barring a bunch of injuries, it's a huge disappointment.
If the Avs lose this series and are healthy Bednar has to go. Hes a good coach and will get a job fast but this team is built for now and he might not be the now coach if they cant get past this round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad