Prospect Info: Round 5, Pick 137: Noah Cates, LW, Stillwater (MN-HS) -> Omaha (USHL) -> UM-Duluth

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Sorry, but whenever I hear "Cates" all I can think of is ...

landscape-1449758565-fast-times.jpg

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports/hockey/4293656-college-mens-hockey-bulldogs-lose-hibbings-johnson-early-pittsburgh-penguins

This article mentions Cates as one of UMD commits who could be an option to replace non-returnees.

Sandelin said the coaching staff is discussing options for replacing Johnson. With time not on UMD’s side — the season starts in less than 100 days — Sandelin said they’ll move quickly.

“You’re never going to replace a guy like (Johnson), but we have some potential options,†Sandelin said.

UMD has two 19-year-old, 1998-born forwards verbally committed in Justin Richards of the USHL’s Lincoln Stars and Hermantown’s Cole Koepke, now with Sioux City of the USHL. There’s also 18-year-old, 1999-born forward Noah Cates from Stillwater (Minn.) High School. He recently was drafted in the fifth round by the Philadelphia Flyers.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
This article mentions Cates as one of UMD commits who could be an option to replace non-returnees.

Are there any updates on the odds of this happening?

The kid seems hilarious, I really like his character. His interview from January is seriously good stuff, can't help but laugh watching it. Looks like a pimply little 14 year old kid still and giggles like a school girl.

Is it too big a jump for him to go to the NCAA?

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
From December until the end of the regular season, Noah Cates averaged more than a point per game, totaling 17 goals and 30 assists in 45 games.

"It's been a big learning experience coming into a new team with older guys who have showed me a few things," said Noah Cates, who later added that getting drafted may have put a target on his back. "You can learn a lot from those guys who have different experiences and backgrounds. It's been a lot of fun this year."

College men's hockey: Stillwater's Cates brothers bringing offense...

Really good numbers for Cates last season - 55 points in 60 games.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs and Noah Cates win the NCAA frozen four tournament and are 2019 National Champions.
Noah Cates was noticeable the whole game. (Well, for most of the 2nd period onward, which is when I turned it on.)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Noah Cates is a good prospect. Good size, speed and plays well at both ends. Not afraid of contact or of shooting.
I'm not sure Cates will make the NHL. He may peak as a solid career AHLer. But there's a chance he could make it as a 4th liner and PKer. He seems to play a hard 200 ft. game .

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
I'm not sure Cates will make the NHL. He may peak as a solid career AHLer. But there's a chance he could make it as a 4th liner and PKer. He seems to play a hard 200 ft. game .

Rinse, Repeat....you can say this about most late round draft picks....most do not make it.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Rinse, Repeat....you can say this about most late round draft picks....most do not make it.
Fair enough, but some later rounders do make it. Cates has enough skill and smarts to have a chance, even if it’s as the next Raffl type of versatile checker. Made the WJC as a long shot and earned the coach’s trust, then did the same after joining the defending national champs. Must be doing something right.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
I feel like this is stating the obvious. The guy is showing skills that have a real chance of translating. We need guys like him as well in our pipeline, or we start paying forth liners two-three million out of necessity due to poor depth.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
I feel like this is stating the obvious. The guy is showing skills that have a real chance of translating. We need guys like him as well in our pipeline, or we start paying forth liners two-three million out of necessity due to poor depth.

That's going to be the going rate for 4th liners soon enough anyhow

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
I think what he means is that it won't be if you keep the depth coming because those 4th liners will be in ELC and cheap 2nd contracts. Then you trade them away and promote the next cheap guys.

Oh I understand what he was saying, it was just a thought that popped in my head as I was reading his post.

Reactions: Tripod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad