Prospect Info: Round 5, Pick 137: Noah Cates, LW, Stillwater (MN-HS) -> Omaha (USHL) -> UM-Duluth

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
There was a lot of buzz about this guy. Apparently he's big and can skate amazing. The Pipeline Show was recently hyping him as a major sleeper.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Noah Cates got a 1-on-1 opportunity in overtime of Stillwater’s scoreless Class 2A, Section 4 final against Hill-Murray and took advantage, utilizing a 360 spin to get past a Pioneers defender, then burying the goal to send the Ponies to their second state tournament ever.

“Honestly, as far as high school hockey things I’ve seen, that’s by far the best play I’ve ever seen,” Stillwater coach Matt Doman said. “From the pass to the goal, I don’t even think it’s close when you put everything into perspective, what the goal meant.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/0...ey-player-of-the-year-stillwaters-noah-cates/

-----------------------

The final spot in the Minnesota Boy's Class AA State Hockey Championship was on the line tonight as Section 4AA's top seed Stillwater took on #2 seed and perennial section power Hill-Murray for the title.

This was a big game, with the 3400-seat Aldrich Arena selling out at about 3:30 this afternoon, about an hour after tickets went on sale to the general public. The tension only increased as the two teams played scoreless hockey for three periods before heading into overtime.

In the first extra period, Stillwater junior forward Noah Cates scored the game-winning goal, and it was a pretty one. Here is video of the play:

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hi...ime-goal-sends-stillwater-to-state-tournament

---------------------------

Noah Cates

Noah Cates is a big, 6’1” winger capable of putting up large amounts of points. He scored 54 and 65 points with the Stillwater Ponies in his last two seasons of 25 games each. He is creative, possesses a great shot, and scored one of the best game-winning goals in Minnesota hockey history over Hill-Murray in the 2016 Section championship
Cates will head to the University of Minnesota Duluth to play for Scott Sandelin and the Bulldogs.

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/20...rs-look-to-be-drafted-in-2017-nhl-entry-draft

Scott Sandelin played briefly for the Flyers.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Cates going to school in Duluth. Good program.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Very nice pick, imo. A lot of upside.

There's interview with Noah Cates right now at NHL Network. He wants to be on the Flyers in 2-3 years!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Our Miles Wood perhaps?

Hextall must really love the current state of our D pipeline lol

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Courtesy of Black Book:
Cates, Noah
LW � Stillwater Ponies (HS-MN) 6�00.5� 165
RANKING: 68

Noah Cates spent his fall playing in the Minnesota Elite League for Team Northwest, winter for Stillwater High School (MN-HS) before finishing up the season with 11 games with Omaha (USHL). He was equally impressive playing in all leagues. Cates showed great progression in MN high School where he drove much of the offense for his Stillwater Squad. He acclimated himself well in his final 11 games with Omaha, where he registered 2 goals and 5 assists and provided a bit of a boost to a depleted and struggling Omaha team.

Cates is a speedy winger with great explosiveness, who can cut through defenders and will take pucks to the net. If a defender gets a little bit flat footed or out of position, Cates will take advantage. He has fantastic puck skills and hands, most famously displayed last season in scoring the game winning goal in overtime over Hill Murray to send his team to the Minnesota State Tournament. Cates shows good vision on the rush with the puck but could stand to develop a little poise and patience in the offensive zone. While his shot is not at an elite level right now in terms of velocity, it comes off his tape quickly and is accurate. As impressive as his hands and skating ability are, it might be his compete level and work ethic that set him apart from some of the other High School prospects in this draft. Cates was never the biggest player growing up but he learned to compete all over the ice and wins a lot of puck battles with 2nd and 3rd effort because of it. Cates has since grown close to 5 inches in the last two years and once he fills out his frame and learns to use his body and positioning, his combination of size and craftiness will make him even more of a handful for defenders. Cates is a smart player who understands the strengths in his game as well as area�s where he needs to improve. He can be a little too offensively minded at times and has lapses where he doesn�t skate back into the play as hard as he could in hopes for an outlet finding him in the neutral zone.

As skilled as Cates is, he is still raw and projects as a longer-term prospect for any team that drafts him. Cates will be back with Omaha (USHL) full time next season and then off to Minnesota Duluth (NCAA) in 18/19.

Quotable: �Exciting player to watch when he�s entering the offensive zone with the puck,
I get the sense that he has a plan and knows what he�s doing� - HP Scout, Dusten
Braaksma

Quotable: �He impressed me enough in my first viewing that I wanted to see more. I saw
signs of a smart player in my first viewing but wasn�t sure. After a few more games, I
was comfortable with his decision making. There are shifts where he shows how raw he
is and others where I see big upside without a ton of risk.� � HP Scout, Mark Edwards

Quotable: �Who?� - NHL Scout (January 2017 when Mark Edwards asked if he had seen
him)

Quotable: �Who?� - NHL Scout (January 2017 different NHL Scout, same reply)

Quotable: �Very competitive...skill is good. I think he plays the game the right way., a solid
mid-rounder.� - NHL Scout (May 2017)

Thank god

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Am I the only thinking of this when I hear the name Cates?

cates-fast-times.jpg

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I was thinking the position has been kind of picked clean by this point maybe, or at least to the point where he is sticking to BPA, which I like, generally speaking.

Totally fine by me.

Hope he finds a steal out of Sweden in the 6th though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad