Prospect Info: Round 5, Pick 137: Noah Cates, LW, Stillwater (MN-HS) -> Omaha (USHL) -> UM-Duluth

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
There was a lot of buzz about this guy. Apparently he's big and can skate amazing. The Pipeline Show was recently hyping him as a major sleeper.

Love this pick. Can't wait to see him in college......in 2 years. I'd love to try to get an Omaha USHL stream next year to see him at least once. Seems like he has the Flyers check marks along with the high upside, skill, smarts, speed.

Flyers do not draft out of HS, so this pick is extra intriguing.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I think I am most intrigued by this pick out of our whole draft.

I agree. He's a much better long-term prospect than Strome or Sushko. A lot of upside, skill, and physical tools. A very worthwhile swing for the fences on an under scouted player by the Flyers.

[Tweet]878751746574749696[/MEDIA]

Last edited:

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
I remember reading about him in the black book before the draft. Noticed how they had him higher than the consensus. Should be fun to follow his progress.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Brian Lawton, to the masochists who watched the NHLN feed, mentioned that Pryor has connections to Stillwater, MN where Cates played.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Brian Lawton, to the masochists who watched the NHLN feed, mentioned that Pryor has connections to Stillwater, MN where Cates played.

I'd like to cram Lawton and Pierre into a very small rocket and launch them to a distant planet where they can have their own show for the aliens.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Didn't he also say that Phil Housley coached there too?

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'd like to cram Lawton and Pierre into a very small rocket and launch them to a distant planet where they can have their own show for the aliens.

So long as these aliens conduct frequent, highly invasive probing for Pierre and have a mountain of botox for Lawton, I think both would go willingly.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I would love to see what Lawton looks like embalmed. Because I'm guessing it would be the same.

He basically credited himself with the Sabres drafting Miller.

:laugh:

He really did. Said some BS about how he was blowing kisses or some **** from the stands to the Sabres to draft his client, Ryan Miller, and they didn't know who he was but apparently just drafted him because of that. What a tool. Then again......NHL GMs are morons, and I should know better than to completely doubt this story.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
I agree. He's a much better long-term prospect than Strome or Sushko. A lot of upside, skill, and physical tools. A very worthwhile swing for the fences on an under scouted player by the Flyers.

[Tweet]878751746574749696[/MEDIA]

I'm not sure about "silky mitts." It makes me feel dirty just typing it.

But intrigued by the pick. It's the one present under the tree that was really a surprise.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
He will go to U. of M-Duluth in 18-19. Next season should be USHL for him.

A beat reporter who covers Minn-Duluth was recently on the Pipeline Show. He said UMD has had more players leave the program this off-season than they were anticipating. He thought there would be a spot open this season and mentioned Cates as a candidate to possibly skip the USHL now.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Interesting. I don't know what's best for him, or if it matters one way or the other. But for a kid without any real experience but HS hockey, and who has decent size (with the skill/skating) but needs to gain weight, a year in the USHL seems sensible over getting buried at Duluth, even if he makes it now. USHL would be the best level of hockey he's ever played, so he has stuff to learn there.

But he did have a 7 points in 11 game sample at the end of the year. It's really tough to jump a level so late in the year -- and to one of the worst teams in the USHL yet. Jumping in cold water, having no time to learn or adjust......he held his own, and that's a good indicator. Some kids outright struggle going from HS to USHL. I imagine he'd have a great rookie season in the USHL next year. And, ulterior motive alert, it might delay his signing 1 year.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
A beat reporter who covers Minn-Duluth was recently on the Pipeline Show. He said UMD has had more players leave the program this off-season than they were anticipating. He thought there would be a spot open this season and mentioned Cates as a candidate to possibly skip the USHL now.
He might be better off dominating a full year in the USHL than fighting for minutes at UMD. Tufte had trouble working his way up the lineup as a 1st round pick.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I wonder what it is like to be a HS player and attend the camp with several players that have been playing in pro leagues (SHL, KHL) for the last 2-3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->