Prospect Info: Round 5, Pick 135: Elliot Desnoyers, LW, Halifax (QMJHL)

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
It’s important to have an identity. The Flyers had no identity under Hextall. That was simply AV trying to restore a sense of team pride.

Some posters bristle at any reference to the Broad Street Bullies. They think it represents antiquated thinking. But AV wasn’t implying to go out & beat everyone up like in Slap Shot. He was implying they’re part of a historically successful franchise & to get some swagger back.

And toughness is still a valuable identity in sports. Matt Rhule has had quite a successful coaching career based on that premise.

Exactly. It meant play with toughness and pride that the city and franchise exemplifies. Ya know, something we lacked completely in the Hakstol era. I thought that was pretty self-evident but apparently not.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I literally didn't say a single word about whether I like or dislike him saying it. :laugh:

Literally not even one.
You liked each post criticizing it. And chimed in with the AV comment.

Same can apply to the rest of the crew. Only a talking point because it's something to criticize AV for.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You liked each post criticizing it. And chimed in with the AV comment.
Clicking "like" on a post doesn't automatically mean I agree with the post. It could just be that I like the tone/wording in which something was said or I liked a specific part of the post or simply that it made me chuckle.

The AV comment was just pointing out that he's why people are defending the slogan so hard and are randomly so supportive of it. It wasn't taking a stance either way.

If you'd like my official position on the matter, I think the slogan itself is dumb/goofy/cringey (like almost all slogans are) and just an example of a new coach pandering to the media and fans. However, I couldn't care less about the kid repeating it. As I pointed out in my sarcastic post above, draftees always make tweets almost identical to that one after getting drafted. They say how happy they are, how glad they are to be drafted by that team, that they're excited for the future, and some random hashtag or slogan. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he was told to tweet exactly that by his agent.

Reactions: Larry44

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Clicking "like" on a post doesn't automatically mean I agree with the post. It could just be that I like the tone/wording in which something was said or I liked a specific part of the post or simply that it made me chuckle.

The AV comment was just pointing out that he's why people are defending the slogan so hard and are randomly so supportive of it. It wasn't taking a stance either way.

If you'd like my official position on the matter, I think the slogan itself is dumb/goofy/cringey (like almost all slogans are) and just an example of a new coach pandering to the media and fans. However, I couldn't care less about the kid repeating it. As I pointed out in my sarcastic post above, draftees always make tweets almost identical to that one after getting drafted. They say how happy they are, how glad they are to be drafted by that team, that they're excited for the future, and some random hashtag or slogan. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he was told to tweet exactly that by his agent.
Liked this post, although for the life of me, I could not be specific as to why. LOL! Poor Elliot, he didn't deserve this!

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Liked this post, although for the life of me, I could not be specific as to why. LOL! Poor Elliot, he didn't deserve this!
Like I said, I don't blame the kid at all. He did exactly what every other draftee would do. He didn't do anything right or wrong, in my eyes. Only what was expected.

It's just a shame the slogan he copy/pasted is this goofy. :laugh:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Like I said, I don't blame the kid at all. He did exactly what every other draftee would do. He didn't do anything right or wrong, in my eyes. Only what was expected.

It's just a shame the slogan he copy/pasted is this goofy. :laugh:

That slogan is brainless. Complaining about the slogan is in no way an indictment on having a tough team, or a tough identity. It's just a daft slogan that needs to die in cleansing fire.

Reactions: Striiker

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
No, Day-noy-ay, is better.

My version is closer to the French pronunciation, and yours is closer to how folks pronounce it in English like the guy in the video.

The "e" sound in "Des" is like the "e" sound in "den", not "day."

The "noy" sound in French is "nwah."

I'm guessing the English-sounding version is what will be used more often.

Reactions: BernieParent

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Why change the identity of the Flyers?
You mention the Broad Street Bullies and first thing comes to mind...is Philadelphia!
Be proud to be f***ING FLYER!
Or is cursing not allowed anymore?

Lol CDP curses like a sailor. Why do you care so much about attaching yourself to a 50 year old identity that really has no relation to the current team or NHL? and hasn't had an relation to them for some time.

I'll never get watching hockey in 2020 and having your mindset stuck in 1995. As much as I loved that 1995 hockey it is dead and gone and will never be coming back. Either move with the times or be left behind.

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
Lol CDP curses like a sailor. Why do you care so much about attaching yourself to a 50 year old identity that really has no relation to the current team or NHL? and hasn't had an relation to them for some time.

I'll never get watching hockey in 2020 and having your mindset stuck in 1995. As much as I loved that 1995 hockey it is dead and gone and will never be coming back. Either move with the times or be left behind.
It was 1974 and 1975...and you just wouldn’t understand!;)
upload_2020-10-14_20-4-38.gif

Reactions: SanBlom and Larry44

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I just want to win. So therefore I want the most effective players possible regardless of how they get to that point. I’m not fixated on traits or weaknesses as long as the bottom line is there with effectiveness.

Reactions: TB87 and Striiker

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
It was 1974 and 1975...and you just wouldn’t understand!;)
View attachment 372801

Listen I love the bullies and that style of hockey and the style that was played through th 80s and 90s. I still go back and watch the old tapes of those cup runs and I love watching the utter mayhem in rock em sock ems from that 80s/90s era. But it's over, you gotta let it go. It was amazing but it's gone and it's not coming back. Time to look to the future, make new memories.

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
Listen I love the bullies and that style of hockey and the style that was played through th 80s and 90s. I still go back and watch the old tapes of those cup runs and I love watching the utter mayhem in rock em sock ems from that 80s/90s era. But it's over, you gotta let it go. It was amazing but it's gone and it's not coming back. Time to look to the future, make new memories.
...the memories I have from those great years will always be with me...the same as your favourite Flyers moments you will never forget!
The Flyers/Oilers Stanley Cup back in 1987 came close but that’s just my opinion...
I look forward to another Cup from the Orange and Black but I won’t hold my breath for at least 5-7 years!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Playing with an edge is still in vogue, which is why TB had to get Goodrow, Coleman, et al to win a Cup.

Fighting, and outright dirty play (except against the Flyers), etc., have been pretty much eliminated. But as the game got faster, so did the bottom six guys, and in some ways the hitting is more intense b/c forwards get there a lot faster on the dump and chase.

The regular season is more Ice Capades these days, though you can still hit and forecheck, but the Playoffs are tougher, the windows are smaller and you're not getting to the Finals without some "true grit."

Reactions: Philly Fanatik

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Playing with an edge is still in vogue, which is why TB had to get Goodrow, Coleman, et al to win a Cup.

Fighting, and outright dirty play (except against the Flyers), etc., have been pretty much eliminated. But as the game got faster, so did the bottom six guys, and in some ways the hitting is more intense b/c forwards get there a lot faster on the dump and chase.

The regular season is more Ice Capades these days, though you can still hit and forecheck, but the Playoffs are tougher, the windows are smaller and you're not getting to the Finals without some "true grit."
There’s a crowd who think the game can be completely played on spreadsheets. That emotion & intangibles have no effect. They’re wrong.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2