Prospect Info: Round 5, Pick 135: Elliot Desnoyers, LW, Halifax (QMJHL)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Trust the Flyers scouts.

This is the way.

That's the smart thing Fletcher/Flahr did, make almost no changes to the scouting group.

Fletcher seems more aggressive than Hextall in looking for value on draft day, though Hextall did trade down once (Rubtsov) and up once (Ratcliffe), he seemed more content to stay put.

Given the track record of our scouting group, if they saw Destroyer and McClellan as value picks, it made sense to aggressively trade up to get them.

Reactions: Rebels57

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
“There’s a crowd who think the game can be completely played on spreadsheets. That emotion & intangibles have no effect.“

......This “crowd“ doesn’t exist. On this board or elsewhere on the internet. This is very much in the vein of fake news/alternative facts

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
That's the smart thing Fletcher/Flahr did, make almost no changes to the scouting group.

Fletcher seems more aggressive than Hextall in looking for value on draft day, though Hextall did trade down once (Rubtsov) and up once (Ratcliffe), he seemed more content to stay put.

Given the track record of our scouting group, if they saw Destroyer and McClellan as value picks, it made sense to aggressively trade up to get them.
TK was a trade up.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
TK was a trade up.

Yeah, but in two years, Fletcher has already traded down to York, up to Brink and up for Destroyer and McClellan.
I have no problem with that as long as he maintains this quality scouting group, trust your scouts and target the players you want.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah, but in two years, Fletcher has already traded down to York, up to Brink and up for Destroyer and McClellan.
I have no problem with that as long as he maintains this quality scouting group, trust your scouts and target the players you want.

Didnt they trade up for Wisdom too?

Reactions: Flyer lurker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Didnt they trade up for Wisdom too?

You're right:
#115 & #148 for #93 (Wisdom)
#201 & 208 for #134 (Desnoyers)
Used their own #177 for McClellan

The trade for Desnoyers was a steal, 7th rd picks are really long-shots and they got a guy they targeted.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I would just add when Hextall took over be it big or small club the cupboard was pretty barren and needed every pick he could acquire. As of today Flyers have 47 players under contract all ready so they can go for who they want in particular versus as many chances as they could get.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
It's a little early to call the trade-up a win. I like that the Flyers got their guy, but they dropped two of their tickets with some upside on the board.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Anything past #200 is equivalent to signing an undrafted free agent, you're just shooting in the dark at that point.
And given that the Flyers are up near the contract limit, it makes more sense to target players you really want than add more "flyers" to the organization.

Note that when the smoke cleared, Fletcher effectively traded both 7th rd picks to move up for two players. Of course, we won't know if that worked out for five years.

#115 to #93 (Wisdom)
#148 to #134 (Desnoyers)

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Pretty early victory lap, eh? :laugh:

Not to throw cold water, but with COVID and Halifax only playing teams from the Maritimes, Halifax has played half of its games against Cape Breton - the worst team in the Q thus far. You're probably going to see some lopsided scores and stat lines with basically a full season against 5 common opponents.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think anyone is projecting Destroyer as a top six forward, but the hot start does validate those who noted he was stuck in a 3rd line role that suppressed his scoring. I'd be more than happy with another NAK or Raffl.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Desnoyers-EN-1-1024x576.jpg

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Didn't Hexy trade up to get Konecny?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->