Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick 82, Carsen Twarynski, F, Calgary (WHL)

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Feels like Twarynski was a bit of a reach in 3rd round but he plays for Calgary and I assume that our scouts get to see a lot of Calgary games, so again, I will trust them here. They probably really liked him.

Seems like pretty safe pick with not much upside (3rd/4th liner at best). Hextall obviously wanted to address our forward depth so players like Twarynski are good to have in the organization.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Feels like Twarynski was a bit of a reach in 3rd round but he plays for Calgary and I assume that our scouts get to see a lot of Calgary games, so again, I will trust them here. They probably really liked him.

Seems like pretty safe pick with not much upside (3rd/4th liner at best). Hextall obviously wanted to address our forward depth so players like Twarynski are good to have in the organization.

Quote from Hextall on the pick:
“A prototypical power forward. We knew we needed to add some size and grit. Our guys to a man all liked him. Terrific character and work ethic with a nice set of skills, too. He’s not just a bottom-end guy.â€

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
No problem with this pick. We add more LW depth and a bottom 6 forward with size. Guys like him and Bunnaman may give us options that will keep guys like VandeVelde out of our lineup in the future.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Quote from Hextall on the pick:

Thanks, that sounds good. :) I am okay with this pick after all but still don't see more than bottom 6 upside, but it's not the problem even if he's your future 3rd line player, for example, then it's great pick.

Hextall has stated before the draft that he wants someone like Twarynski, and in overall strengthen our forward depth with character guys who has will, size, skill etc. Seems like Twarynski meets these requirements very well based on what Hextall said about him.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Not a huge fan at 82. Seems a bit early for a plugger. But the scouts have seen him a ton. Like him better than the Bunnyman at 109.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
well sounds like he will be a 3rd or 4th line guy, what former flyer would he remind you of.

I don't know about former, but when I was messing around youtube today I found a video where he was asked what player he most closely resembled and he said Ryan White (5 days before the draft).

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
To put this into perspective, he easily outscored Taylor Leier when comparing their draft years, and I think most would agree that Leier has turned into a decent prospect.

Leier - 37 points in 72 games.

Twarynski - 45 points in 67 games

Don't judge these guys too soon, they're not done improving yet.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
To put this into perspective, he easily outscored Taylor Leier when comparing their draft years, and I think most would agree that Leier has turned into a decent prospect.

Good point and I think Leier is what you're hoping for, though they got Leier at 117.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
And for all we know Twarynski could end up being 35 draft spots worth of skill better than Leier. ;)

Based on his comments, Hextall seems to think there's more skill to him than he's shown... Whether he's right or wrong is yet to be known, but we do know Hextall wasn't just aiming low with this pick.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

Leier played on a real powerhouse team in his draft year and was a bit buried down the lineup.

Carsen was on a team this year that desperately needed forwards who could score. That prime ice time was there for the taking.

I think that's the key difference for me. His scoring may come, I just haven't seen it. And I saw firsthand how badly the Calgary forward group would struggle to produce offense at times. Even with the extreme luxury of having Jake Bean and Travis Sanheim feeding them pucks all the time.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Leier played on a real powerhouse team in his draft year and was a bit buried down the lineup.

Carsen was on a team this year that desperately needed forwards who could score. That prime ice time was there for the taking.

I think that's the key difference for me. His scoring may come, I just haven't seen it. And I saw firsthand how badly the Calgary forward group would struggle to produce offense at times. Even with the extreme luxury of having Jake Bean and Travis Sanheim feeding them pucks all the time.

You may be absolutely right, I'm just saying that judging these players strictly on points isnt a good idea.

Now if someone, like yourself, has doubts about a player that's based on watching a ton of their games, that's a different story.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
You may be absolutely right, I'm just saying that judging these players strictly on points isnt a good idea.

Now if someone, like yourself, has doubts about a player that's based on watching a ton of their games, that's a different story.

Yeah, I definitely don't want to make it seem like I'm burying the pick, I'm not. He has flashed some offense. And he has value. He's just more of your traditional bottom 6 style of player IMO.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He did outplay Beck Malenstyn who was regarded as a much better prospect going into the year so I'll count that as something.

Calgary should be a good team next year. They return a good chunk of their team and I think he should be seeing prime minutes next season. PPG should be the goal. As a late 97 he'll have to prove he's ready for pro hockey next year.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Really like the comment from Hextall "He's not just a bottom-end guy".

They truly know why the picked him when they followed the Hitmen the whole season.

What a difference it makes when you go for hard-working PF's with untapped potential in the 3rd round instead of the Garret Klotz's of the world.

Refreshing.

SheasRebellion6

Jan 17, 2012
It is interesting that he models himself after Ryan White and compares himself to goul with a lesser fighting ability. By the way, not that it matters, but I'm pretty sure Brandon Dubinsky could take this kid.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It is interesting that he models himself after Ryan White and compares himself to goul with a lesser fighting ability

.............yay :rolleyes:

Fun fact, Ryan White put up 53 points in 72 games his draft year on Calgary. And 89 points in 72 games his d+1 year. He can't hold a handle to Twarynski skating-wise though. Hopefully he's smarter than White too. White is actually quite decently skilled for a 4th line grinder -- he just has lead feet and low hockey IQ. Comparing him to White somehow doesn't make me feel any better....

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
This is probably the pick I'm least excited about.

But what the hell do I know.

Our scouts watched Calgary all season with Sanheim and Fazleev playing there. Guess I'll trust them.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
This is probably the pick I'm least excited about.

But what the hell do I know.

Our scouts watched Calgary all season with Sanheim and Fazleev playing there. Guess I'll trust them.

I feel the same way. Seems like a bit of a reach for 82 where, you know, you hope for the Ghost gem. But the scouts have certainly seen enough of him where he must be likable.

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
2 goals including the GWG in Kelowna's first playoff game versus Kamloops. Slow start with Kelowna after being acquired from Calgary but finished the regular season strong with 15 pts in his last 13 games.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You need guys like this to finish out lines, espeically if they have good hands and a deadly wrist shot near the net. You can't build a good line around three playmakers who like to skate, someone has to be willing to live in the crease and do the dirty work as a forechecker.

And if you're building a 4th line, you want guys who can forecheck and actually give you 10-15 goals a year.

When you look at the cost of bottom six guys who can do that (Weise the two years before we signed him), it's not a bad idea to stockpile these guys alongside the flashier forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad