Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick 82, Carsen Twarynski, F, Calgary (WHL)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
dw_carsen_twarynski_calgary.jpg
Carsen+Twarynski+RjJo5wzhFD-m.jpg

Name: Carsen Twarynski
Position: Forward
Team: Calgary Hitmen (WHL)
Birthdate: November 24, 1997
Birthplace: Calgary, AB, Canada
Height 6' 2"
Weight: 201lb

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Eliteprospects listed him as LW/D, didn't know which one he was.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
He's a bottom six player if he makes the NHL. Shot blocking/compete guy/energy. Has offensive upside in terms of skill, hands, shot, etc, but it didn't translate into production.

I had hoped we'd moved on from this type of picking.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He's not a driver. More of a complimentary guy. Big body. Watched Calgary the last 2 years and he was just kind of a depth guy, but started to score some goals late in the year.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
#100 on our list.

Twarynski is a solid all-around player at the junior level. He skates well. He plays physical, and wins board battles. He gets to the front of the net to pounce on rebounds and score on tips. He also has a well-developed defence game. The issue here is that while he does all of these things well, there isn’t any one aspect of Twarynski’s name that really stands out. As a result, his ultimate upside is a question mark.

Link: http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/06/23/2016-nhl-draft-scouting-reports-91-100/

Brigid1011*

Well they've seen him more than anybody. Don't like that he's listed as LW/D. What are we looking at here?

He plays the wing Bottom 6 guy. Probably third line if he hits his potential. We drafted two thirds of a new third line already so far.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Don't know how you guys can say anything definitive about the pick. Simmonds didnt really seem like much of a prospect from his junior numbers. Have any of you even watched him play?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Nothing wrong with solid bottom six prospects at this point in the draft, that is, players with size, speed and grit with decent offensive skills, think of the difference between say Raffl and most of our bottom six players the last decade.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Don't know how you guys can say anything definitive about the pick. Simmonds didnt really seem like much of a prospect from his junior numbers. Have any of you even watched him play?

Silly question. He plays for the Calgary Hitmen. We have a certain interest on that team. I've seen Carsen a ton.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
I'm no expert by any means but I did see him play a lot watching sanheim and I like what I saw. I'm very pleased with this and the wade Allison picks.

MichaelRaffl

Aug 13, 2009
Vilnius
I'm no expert by any means but I did see him play a lot watching sanheim and I like what I saw. I'm very pleased with this and the wade Allison picks.

Can you elaborate more on this pick, im intrigued by it. Did he play in the bottom six this past year for calgary?

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Surprised that philly passed on D Josh Mahura and C Noah Gregor at the 82nd pick in the 3rd round.
Don't know nothing about LW/D Carson Twarynski

Probably just drafted Twarynski because they were checking out Sanheim and Fazleev in Calgary and might have saw something in Twarynski.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
Can you elaborate more on this pick, im intrigued by it. Did he play in the bottom six this past year for calgary?

Played up and down the lineup he focused more on his offensive game vs the year before. Looks like a solid all round player. Anything more than a third liner would be a plus but you can never have enough guys like that. Who knows he could take an even bigger step forward this year. Calgary stays on my radar for those nights I have nothing to do!

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I like Twarynski, but had him pegged for the fourth. I had Gregor here.
According to Draft Buzz, Twarynski was ranked 84, and is a strong skating power forward with developing skills. He "will go right through the wall for his team, or drill any opponent through one." FC says he has good hard wrist and slap shots and will "pay the price." Not a headhunter, but doesn't like to be denied. Sounds like the kind of player Hexy was talking about and our scouts now him well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad