Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick 82, Carsen Twarynski, F, Calgary (WHL)

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
And Twarynski in his first game does exactly what he had been doing all preseason, skate, hit, make things happen, get back on defense.
It ain't pretty but it works.

He looked more scatterbrained and in less control tonight than he did in the preseason, which isn't surprising considering the pressure. I like the kid and wish him well. I just wouldn't get carried away. That's reserved for Kevin.

YamCork

Dec 11, 2017
Australia
He looked more scatterbrained and in less control tonight than he did in the preseason, which isn't surprising considering the pressure. I like the kid and wish him well. I just wouldn't get carried away. That's reserved for Kevin.

ezgif-3-a16557c1774a.gif

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
10 things: Flyers nearly waste strong effort vs. Canadiens...

First, Twarynski initiates the move up ice, surprising Ryan Poehling and pushing the loose puck to Hayes. Then, Twarynski goes in hard on the forecheck, and survives an along-the-boards puck battle with two Canadiens, one of whom was the imposing Shea Weber. Then, after battling through another encounter with Weber and getting the puck into the slot — in fairness, that part could have turned out poorly for Twarynski if Poehling had cleanly received the puck — Twarynski moved into the netfront area, setting up a perfect screen to block Price from seeing Myers’ shot. One would think all that work should earn him a primary assist somehow.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Twarynski is exactly what the Flyers need, they don't have enough players committed to the 4th line "energy" role, Raffl is, but I don't think you can get 82 good games out of his body anymore, Laughton at times, of course he's injured. Pitlick has turned out to be fool's gold, Voroybev/Bunnaman couldn't hack it, Rubtsov isn't ready, Sushko is probably at least half a year or longer away.

NAK??? Who knows? I won't even speculate.

Reactions: Dr Hook McCraken

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

That's good stuff for the "Twarynski adds nothing!" crowd. He extended attacks on probably three separate occasions just by pressuring well and forcing turnovers. Doesn't exactly have the passing skills to singlehandedly make plays out of those turnovers, but with good support he's a useful attack dog. Perfectly happy to have him on the fourth line if he's playing like that every night.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Twarynski fills an important role that the Flyers lack. An energetic young guy with size & speed who can get in on the forecheck, win pucks & hound the opponent into turnovers, & play physically. And backcheck hard as well.

I thought that was going to be Pitlick, but he’s fizzled so far.

They still need a strong, fast 4C who offers similar traits.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
That's good stuff for the "Twarynski adds nothing!" crowd. He extended attacks on probably three separate occasions just by pressuring well and forcing turnovers. Doesn't exactly have the passing skills to singlehandedly make plays out of those turnovers, but with good support he's a useful attack dog. Perfectly happy to have him on the fourth line if he's playing like that every night.
Carsen T is what this team needs.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Twarynski fills an important role that the Flyers lack. An energetic young guy with size & speed who can get in on the forecheck, win pucks & hound the opponent into turnovers, & play physically. And backcheck hard as well.

I thought that was going to be Pitlick, but he’s fizzled so far.

They still need a strong, fast 4C who offers similar traits.
Yep he will be on the flyers for along time. Need the 7 and 8 mil club to play the boards the same way.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
AV likes a fourth line with enough speed to match up against speed lines and wear them down by forcing them to play in their D-zone and fight for pucks.
We've worn down the finesse teams we've played, it's the teams that physically forecheck that have given the Flyers fits so far this season.

That means you need young legs with size and an edge who'll chase the puck nonstop, hit on the forecheck and fight for the puck in the corners and along the boards. Raffl has been that guy but he's starting to show his age with too much usage. Laughton, who else?

Vorobyev lacks cojones and speed.
Rubtsov is too raw.
Bunnaman needs to get quicker
Pitlick and Stewart have been veteran fails.
Sushko might be one of those guys, but he's too raw right now.
NAK ??? For some reason they don't think he fills that slot.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
You guys have really low standards.

Especially when we have better options available.
I’m not sure what the stats say, but the eye test is telling me Twarynski brings more than Pitlick.

Pitlick reminds me of Umberger; 7:53 left in the 2nd and you see him skate to the bench during a stoppage and think “oh shit Pitlick is playing”.

Edit: FWIW, I don’t even consider myself a fan of Twarynski.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I’m not sure what the stats say, but the eye test is telling me Twarynski brings more than Pitlick.

Pitlick reminds me of Umberger; 7:53 left in the 2nd and you see him skate to the bench during a stoppage and think “oh **** Pitlick is playing”.

Edit: FWIW, I don’t even consider myself a fan of Twarynski.
Well that’s such a low bar... like saying Braun is better than Hagg. :laugh:

I don’t even hate Twarynski either, but he’s just such a replaceable/forgettable player. He really does nothing other than skate around and we have so many better options.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
All I’m saying is we should start at the bottom and replace those players first.
I agree but I see all three of Twarynski, Pitlick, and Stewart as that “bottom” that we should be replacing. Even with current injuries we can have a lineup without any of the three.

Bring up Frost for the top 9 and then have Vorobyev, Raffl, and Rubtsov as the 4th line. Then once Patrick or Laughton is back you just swap them in for the weakest link.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I agree but I see all three of Twarynski, Pitlick, and Stewart as that “bottom” that we should be replacing. Even with current injuries we can have a lineup without any of the three.

Bring up Frost for the top 9 and then have Vorobyev, Raffl, and Rubtsov as the 4th line. Then once Patrick or Laughton is back you just swap them in for the weakest link.

Uh, they tried those two already, Twarynski has clearly outplayed them by a wide margin.
Some people don't watch the games.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Putting Twarynski in the same tier as Stewart is really goddamn bad hockey analysis. He has been clearly better. You can also have a lineup that includes him, for the time being, and even hauls in Frost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->